[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

figmentPez

Staff member
A quick google search suggests that no one has referred to Cairne Bloodhoof as a yeti matroska, and this disappoints me. He's a yeti inside of another yeti!
And then I'll put that yeti inside of another yeti, and then I'll mail that yeti to myself, and when it arrives, I'll smash it with a Doomhammer! It's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Or.... to save on mana, I'll just poison him with this!

What? A frog!!!? He's supposed to be dead!

Dislike! Sorry you're getting such crap cards Poe.[DOUBLEPOST=1403214450,1403214321][/DOUBLEPOST]
I haven't gotten a legendary ever if it makes you feel better. ;)
EVER? Ok, I'm not going to complain about not getting Legendaries ever again.

Really wanted to know how much dust I would need to complete my collection so I plugged it into Excel. Right now I would need 41,100 Dust to have every card.

Dislike! Sorry you're getting such crap cards Poe.[DOUBLEPOST=1403214450,1403214321][/DOUBLEPOST]
EVER? Ok, I'm not going to complain about not getting Legendaries ever again.

Here are the legendaries I have opened over the course of... let's see... 80 packs? Roughly? I haven't kept count, but it's since I've been playing.

Illidan, Captain Greenskin, Garrosh (good one!), The Beast, Illidan, Onyxia, Norzdormu, Sylvanas (good one!), Al'Akir (good one!), Illidan

I've since disenchanted some of those to craft Ragnaros and Cairne, so I suppose I can't really complain all that much.

But still, Illidan three times...

Lets see my legendaries over 157 packs. Mukla, Ysera, Gruul, Hogger, Illidan, and my last five packs have gotten me Jaraxxus and Cho. I did craft Rag then Leeroy and I got old murk eye too. I kind of want to open more since I have gotten lucky my last few packs but I'm saving up a bit for nax. It should hopefully be coming out next month since they are done with all 9 class preview cards.

Mukla, ysera, hogger, and Jaraxxus you can do a lot with depending on the class you're building for. Still, yeah, that's way annoying and random.

I started with Shaman. At least it's easy to build a fairly Legendary-less deck which doesn't suck for that class.

figmentPez

Staff member
I started with Shaman. At least it's easy to build a fairly Legendary-less deck which doesn't suck for that class.
I think my Shaman deck is the strongest I have, and it doesn't use any of my legendaries. I have Ragnaros, Ysera, the Black Knight, Carine Bloodhoof and Illadin, but none of them work as well as the other cards I've got.

Mukla, ysera, hogger, and Jaraxxus you can do a lot with depending on the class you're building for. Still, yeah, that's way annoying and random.

Oh, you don't 'need' legendaries to make a strong deck. But they're nice.

I kept one of my illidan's. I'm going to make him work, damnit. I did manage to fill a board with strong, buffed flames of azzenoth by using innervates and power of the wild's with my shaman deck, against a warrior that had already used his brawl. He was not prepared.

Yeah I have built a deck for each legendary as soon as I got them. It's kind of fun trying to make each one work though Illidan and Gruul have to be the hardest (haven't tried Cho yet since I just got him). I actually put them in the same druid deck along with venture co mercs and iron barks (to bait out those big game hunters) and lots of spells but somehow they always have an answer to gruul. I'll play out four perfectly big game hunterable targets yet gruul comes out and there he is to shoot him down every time. I'm thinking of trying a master of disguise with Illidan rogue deck next but I'm still mulling over what else to put in there.

Yeah I have built a deck for each legendary as soon as I got them. It's kind of fun trying to make each one work though Illidan and Gruul have to be the hardest (haven't tried Cho yet since I just got him). I actually put them in the same druid deck along with venture co mercs and iron barks (to bait out those big game hunters) and lots of spells but somehow they always have an answer to gruul. I'll play out four perfectly big game hunterable targets yet gruul comes out and there he is to shoot him down every time. I'm thinking of trying a master of disguise with Illidan rogue deck next but I'm still mulling over what else to put in there.
Druid Token works ok with Illidan. On turn six, you can play Illidan, Innervate, Innervate, sunfury protector (between two of the flames) and power of the wild. Give you four 3/2 flames, two with taunt. And of course Illidan

Cho works ok in Warlock Zoo. Having almost no spells really puts the opponent on their heels when Cho comes out.

Oh, one thing I just noticed about the new nax hunter card. It doesn't say "draw a random beast card from your deck," it says "draw a random beast card" period.

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh, one thing I just noticed about the new nax hunter card. It doesn't say "draw a random beast card from your deck," it says "draw a random beast card" period.
Shit, you're right. Confirmed by Ben Brode (senior game developer):
"It doesn't pull cards from your deck, just puts a new card into your hand." source
"Webspinner can get any collectible Beast. Everything from King Krush to Captain's Parrot." source

That makes it a lot more risky to put in a deck.

Have you fellas been seeing a lot of Paladin decks lately? I've been inundated with tons of the low cost minion Paladin deck which is suddenly all the rage at the 14 to 18 rank range.

Made rank 13, best I've ever been so far. Woot!

Ok, I concede Priests need some help. This happened to get me to rank 12.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_6.21.2014.13.55.26.png

And then...

Hearthstone_Screenshot_6.21.2014.13.56.32.png

Poor guy conceded after this turn.

One of the biggest decks in legends right now is AMAZ's priest deck. Priests are just fine.
Good lord. This has to be about the player being incredible. Nothing really jumps out at me as being amazing other than the Rag and the Shadow Priest.

Good lord. This has to be about the player being incredible. Nothing really jumps out at me as being amazing other than the Rag and the Shadow Priest.
There's some seriously powerful combos, such as turn three injured blademaster into a circle of healing, board clear with wild pyromancer and the various buffs available, and board clear with soulpriest and circle of healing.

Priest being able to heal any minion for 2 means that trading is that much more an issue for the opponent. An opponent can't take two turns to kill a minion if needed, because it will just be healed in between.

So in short, yes, the player is pretty damn good (in fact he came in second in the finale of Dreamhack) but he's also playing the class to its strengths.

figmentPez

Staff member
One of the biggest decks in legends right now is AMAZ's priest deck. Priests are just fine.
Trump has said that he wouldn't attempt to do a F2P run for a Priest deck. He thinks it's just too difficult to make a good deck out of common cards with a few rares.

Trump has said that he wouldn't attempt to do a F2P run for a Priest deck. He thinks it's just too difficult to make a good deck out of common cards with a few rares.
And that's Trump's opinion. But AMAZ did it, so...

The only card he got lucky on was Rag was in the first pack he bought. But I've watched his games, and very rarely did rag come into play. You could place any big threat there.

Got the quest to play 30 minions of cost 2 or less.
Built a 30-card Rogue deck of nothing but 30 minions that cost 2 or less.
Won my first game by totally overrunning my opponent?
Came dangerously close to winning the next 3, also (would lose but opponent would only have 10 health or something).
Swapped out two minions for 2xVanish.
Still couldn't knock out those last 10 or so health once the opponent started being able to play big (6 and up) cards.
Was still a surprise how effective a weenie deck can be.

--Patrick

Got the quest to play 30 minions of cost 2 or less.
Built a 30-card Rogue deck of nothing but 30 minions that cost 2 or less.
Won my first game by totally overrunning my opponent?
Came dangerously close to winning the next 3, also (would lose but opponent would only have 10 health or something).
Swapped out two minions for 2xVanish.
Still couldn't knock out those last 10 or so health once the opponent started being able to play big (6 and up) cards.
Was still a surprise how effective a weenie deck can be.

--Patrick
Welcome to zoo.

I love how much MTG lingo there is in Hearthstone.
And funnily enough, I never played MTG. Though, it's to be expected, terms are adopted and carried over in a genre. Many (myself included) still refer to creating a character in an MMO as "rolling" a new character, even though we're not rolling dice to assign attributes anymore.

Oh is that what "Zoo" means? Weenies?--Patrick
Kinda. It refers to there being a lot of creatures which are cheap to play, but also either have great value for their cost (abilities which cause extra damage like Knife Juggler), buff other creatures (Shattered Sun Cleric), or require your opponent to use two cards/actions to kill (Argent Squire). It relies on synergy and takes advantage of Warlock's ability to draw lots of cards to make up for mid game card disadvantage. The 'Zoo' bit refers to a lot of creature types which really have nothing to do with each other.

There is a Paladin version which has been running the ladder a lot lately as well.

figmentPez

Staff member
The pack I opened today was interesting:

Eye for an Eye (yeah, I'll be running that one never)
Flame Imp (dust)
Spellbender (might be fun)
Golden Youthful Brewmaster (looks cool)
Golden Felguard....

Hearthstone is messing with me, isn't it?

figmentPez

Staff member
Gallery that claims to be leaked images of the interface for Curse of Naxxramas, as well as new cards.

Sir Zeliek
3 mana 1/7
Card text: Your hero is Immune
Minion of an enemy "hero", so maybe not a card that can be used in normal decks?

An enemy whose hero power is to deal 3 damage to your hero.

Feugen and Stalagg
Two legendary 5 mana cards, one a 4/7 and the other a 7/4
If both have died that game, then the second to die summons Thaddius.

Blurry McBlurryname
8 mana legendary 6/8
Card text (best I can make out) At the end of this turn, summon all friendly minions that died that turn.

Other images in the gallery show:
- An enemy "hero" with a 5 mana hero power, 7 health, 0 mana and 3 minions on the board.
- Another with a 4 mana hero power, a 5 attack 7+ durability weapon, 30 health and zero cards (and an empty deck slot)
- Another with a passive hero power that raises a 1/1 skeleton every time an enemy dies
- Another with a 2 mana hero power to draw a card, with no drawback?
- Special class challenges that require you to use a pre-made deck