[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

It was disastrous. And my hand was SHIT. I was playing my Shaman deck and was on the back foot the entire time.

I finally found a mage deck that works for me, it's totally a burn deck, so I get kind of screwed with priests and massive taunts, but I've had a good run with it. One game was awesome, though. I had out a Knife Juggler and a Wyrm. I played 2 Mirror Image and my juggler cleared his board leaving me with a buffed wyrm.

figmentPez

Staff member
They have their place. If it wasn't for rush decks there would be too much control.
I'd classify Murloc decks as different than most rush decks. Watching high end players stream on Twitch, none of them seem to run Muloc decks. So they're not really effective against good players. The only use for murloc decks seems to be to frustrate new players.

I'd classify Murloc decks as different than most rush decks. Watching high end players stream on Twitch, none of them seem to run Muloc decks. So they're not really effective against good players. The only use for murloc decks seems to be to frustrate new players.
They're also good for new players to learn the value of playing cards in the right order and knowing when to sacrifice vs go for the face. I know it was very helpful for me.

figmentPez

Staff member
They're also good for new players to learn the value of playing cards in the right order and knowing when to sacrifice vs go for the face. I know it was very helpful for me.
You got all your murlocs a lot faster than I did, then. I still don't have enough to make a murloc rush deck.

I've been running a hunter deck, and I've found that I actually enjoy playing against murloc decks now.

Yes, yes... flood your board with minions... allow me to UNLEASH THE DOGE!

figmentPez

Staff member
How to win arena.
I caught that happening live. It was absolutely hilarious. Not only that, but he went on to do something similar the very next game. I wished I could have stuck around to see how many times he pulled that combo during the arena run.

It'll delay some of the more devestating combos. I thought it would be better if they limited the number of cards the buzzard could draw in a single turn.
That's exactly the fix I would have suggested. I think the other combos with them are minimal compared to that huge card draw combo.

So I was playing games in casual and 8 out of the last 10 were handlock (all different players too)
I was playing my gimmicky bloodlust deck and felt so bad for them. At least 4 of them they would play their giant or drake on turn 4 then I would bloodlust or coin bloodlust and bring them down to 4 or below health. (no hellfire for you mister warlock) Then it was just watching them scramble while I just waited to draw my lightning bolt or fire elemental. Another just couldn't do anything. Giant turn 4, big game, giant again, hex, drake, my owl and squire took him out, then I drew my earth shock and went right past his small attempt at a taunt wall for the win no blood lust needed.

You guys all suck. The last legendary I got was Illidan... WHO I ALREADY HAD
Sorry. I got him and I have not found a deck he really goes in. I tried him in my big minion druid deck but my venture co mercs seemed more useful with their lower mana cost and higher health. Have you found a good use for him? I was thinking a token druid deck might work with him acting as a third violet teacher but I don't have all the necessary cards to try it out.

There are a lot of tcg's that are 'better' than Hearthstone. But few are quite as well polished. People like Hearthstone because it's relatively easy to get into and casual friendly, while still having some meat for the top level players.

figmentPez

Staff member
The new Rogue card is a 5/5 for 4 mana. Anub'ar Ambusher also has a deathrattle that returns a (presumably random) minion to your hand.

Sounds pretty powerful, especially combined with minions that have a good battlecry, like the SI:7 Agent or Earthenring Farseer.

The new Rogue card is a 5/5 for 4 mana. Anub'ar Ambusher also has a deathrattle that returns a (presumably random) minion to your hand.

Sounds pretty powerful, especially combined with minions that have a good battlecry, like the SI:7 Agent or Earthenring Farseer.
It does, however, give your opponent a free sap when they're trading. If played early, this means a loss of tempo for rogue, which in many rogue decks is important. If played late, that means it threatens to bounce back an expensive minion you'd rather have on the board, losing even more tempo.

It's a strong card, but does have a severe drawback that has to be played around.

It does, however, give your opponent a free sap when they're trading. If played early, this means a loss of tempo for rogue, which in many rogue decks is important. If played late, that means it threatens to bounce back an expensive minion you'd rather have on the board, losing even more tempo.

It's a strong card, but does have a severe drawback that has to be played around.
But if you already have it in play can't you play a minion, sacrifice your ambusher then get to play that card again. It is like a less reliable brewmaster that you played a turn before instead of the turn of. The only real thing it has going for it is the beefiness for a turn four. Able to take out yeti's in a single bound and survive. Unless nax adds some more good bouncing cards like si-7, I don't think it will be taking over a spot in most decks. Doesn't work in miracle and I agree that potential loss of tempo could be devastating in a tempo deck.

But if you already have it in play can't you play a minion, sacrifice your ambusher then get to play that card again.
Yes, but that still slows tempo, as you have to spend mana for that card twice. It also requires that your opponent have played a 5 attack minion the turn before, as if he had a 5 attack minion already (which there aren't many... at 4-5 mana that's going to be limited to ancient brewmaster, sylvanas, or doomguard, which has charge and will probably kill the ambusher), he'd have just killed the ambusher with it. So it can be played around.

Edit: forgot the Magma Rager at 3 mana. But honestly, if your opponent uses an ambusher to trade with your 3cost rager and bounce a minion, that's still a win for you.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
I've saved up over 1,000 gold in anticipation of the Curse of Naxxramas. I'm hoping I won't need even more to buy the first dungeon-thing.