[PC Game] Halforums House: RimWorld Character Creation Thread

You sure I shouldn't bump your int to 7? How many times have I read stories about you and your old job's accounting? :p

Joking aside, remember the difference between skill and interest. Your interest point is on intellect. Moving skill points from one to the other just alters proficiency, not interest. Are you better at artistic endeavors, but still uninterested in them? Because that's what you're telling me to do.
Yeah. I just got back from the baseball game and am close to nodding off. Better to keep it as is so I don't have to engage brain any more tonight :p

Also, Kags, I'm kinda surprised you chose to be passionate about intellectual work instead of crafting. You like filling out tax returns more than you like sewing? Like... costumes?

In fact, I should point out to everybody that being interested in "intellectual" does not mean "I am smart." It means "I like sitting at a desk all day shuffling papers, auditing inventory and doing math. Spreadsheets are fun and I have strong opinions about MLA vs APA."

If you like sewing, or tinkering with electronics, that's *crafting.*

If you like writing/reading, that's *artistic.*
I'm legit just hoping to stay alive. And the arts don't do that, which is why I stayed away from artistic. I did some crafting. So, whatever the fuck keeps me alive.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm legit just hoping to stay alive. And the arts don't do that, which is why I stayed away from artistic. I did some crafting. So, whatever the fuck keeps me alive.
Well, intellectual work isn't directly linked to survival any more than artistic work or crafting work. Art tasks will keep you indoors carving or writing. Crafting work will keep you inside sewing or machining or smithing. Intellectual work will keep you inside shuffling papers and doing research. All three mean you are inside.

I'd say the risky jobs are:
Shooting - because you will be expected to defend the colony from pirates, mechanoids, angry tribals, man-eating beasts and skittering horrors, and furthermore you will be expected to hunt animals for food, and they often fight back.
Melee - because you will be expected to intercept the above, and defend the shooters so they can shoot
Animals - because you will be expected to basically be the colony's K9 unit, training and commanding attack animals in the above situation, with the added mental stress inherent if and when an animal you have bonded with dies
Mining - because cave-ins happen (if rarely), just ask Terrik, he ended up a juicy meat pancake last playthrough.

However, if the colony doesn't have people skilled in those abilities, it also will not live long. An undefended colony is a colony soon enslaved and burned down.

But really, with 40 other people around you, you can probably feel pretty safe indulging your interests, as long as those interests don't involve wandering out into the woods late at night or something.

Well, intellectual work isn't directly linked to survival any more than artistic work or crafting work. Art tasks will keep you indoors carving or writing. Crafting work will keep you inside sewing or machining or smithing. Intellectual work will keep you inside shuffling papers and doing research. All three mean you are inside.

I'd say the risky jobs are:
Shooting - because you will be expected to defend the colony from pirates, mechanoids, angry tribals, man-eating beasts and skittering horrors, and furthermore you will be expected to hunt animals for food, and they often fight back.
Melee - because you will be expected to intercept the above, and defend the shooters so they can shoot
Animals - because you will be expected to basically be the colony's K9 unit, training and commanding attack animals in the above situation, with the added mental stress inherent if and when an animal you have bonded with dies
Mining - because cave-ins happen (if rarely), just ask Terrik, he ended up a juicy meat pancake last playthrough.

However, if the colony doesn't have people skilled in those abilities, it also will not live long. An undefended colony is a colony soon enslaved and burned down.

But really, with 40 other people around you, you can probably feel pretty safe indulging your interests, as long as those interests don't involve wandering out into the woods late at night or something.
I'm 1000% too lazy to bother with it tonight, maybe I'll re-work my stats tomorrow, but I'm currently way too sleepy. :)

NAME: Lisa "WasabiPoptart"
BODY TYPE: Average
COMPLEXION: Olive
HEAD SIZE: Average
JAW SHAPE: Oval
HAIRSTYLE AND COLOR: SPSPaige, light brown

SKILLS:
Shooting: 4
Melee: 0
Social: 6
Animals: 4
Medicine: 4
Cooking: 2
Construction: 0
Growing: 4
Mining: 0
Artistic: 5
Crafting: 3
Intellectual: 4

INTEREST:
Social: 2
Medicine: 1
Intellectual: 2

HEALTH ISSUES:
None

TRAITS:
Too Smart
Neurotic
Psychopath

EQUIPMENT:
Grey jacket, purple shirt, blue pants
Fennec fox (M)

GasBandit

Staff member
Psychopath
Oh, that reminds me, I should clarify that, in this game, Psychopath doesn't mean what it meant in HFA. It does not predispose you to violence or horrific deeds - rather, it makes you not care about them. Ordinary colonists will be upset if someone dies, or is sold into slavery, or is harvested for organs, or butchered for meat, etc. Someone with the psychopath trait will not care, even if they do the butchering themselves, and will not have any mood debuffs from that happening. But the other side of that coin is that they also will not gain any mood bonuses from socializing, and will not form any attachments to other colonists.

The trait that predisposes someone to violence and horror is Bloodlust. This gives a mood bonus every time the colonist sees someone die (friend OR foe), and also makes them much more likely to start fights with allies. Bloodlusters (and Cannibals, for that matter) can also butcher people for meat, and wear the skins as clothing. However, only Cannibals can enjoy eating human-sourced food. And the neurotypicals of the colony will still be horrified that all this is taking place, even if it doesn't directly affect them personally.

I'm already in bed so I'll work up your char tomorrow, Wasabi ;)

Yeah the description sounds closer to apathetic, IMO. Aussie and I were talking about that trait and my interest/skill level in Social. I said something like my character will be observing social interaction from a clinical standpoint. He says, "Oh just like what you normally do." Ass.

Yeah, I was going to take Psychopath, butr refrained because I wasn't quite sure how it'd interact with having a high social stat and 2 interest points in it. Like, I talk a lot ot calm other people down and I like doing that ,but I don't actually like socializing for the sake of socializing for myself :p

In fact, I should point out to everybody that being interested in "intellectual" does not mean "I am smart." It means "I like sitting at a desk all day shuffling papers, auditing inventory and doing math. Spreadsheets are fun and I have strong opinions about MLA vs APA."
*Points to Math degree*
*Points to the myriad spreadsheets made to track stupid shit just so I have household data to play with*
*Points to my looking forward to tax season because financial math*

HMMMMM

Thanks for the invite!

NAME: Mike "Soupy" Campbell
BODY TYPE: Average
COMPLEXION: Fair
HEAD SIZE: Average
HAIRSTYLE: SPSJay
COLOUR: Dark Brown

SKILLS:
Shooting: 3
Melee: 5
Social: 3
Animals: 2
Medicine: 2
Cooking: 4
Construction: 2
Growing: 4
Mining: 1
Artistic:4
Crafting: 2
Intellectual: 4

INTEREST:
Melee: 1
Growing: 1
Artistic: 1
Cooking: 2

HEALTH ISSUES:
None

TRAITS:
Good Reflexes
Kind
Fast Walker

EQUIPMENT:
Dark Red Jacket, Grey Shirt, Dark Blue Pants
Plasteel Knife

Can I switch my skills to the following please?
SKILLS:
Shooting: 2
Melee: 6
Social: 3
Animals: 2
Medicine: 2
Cooking: 5
Construction: 2
Growing: 5
Mining: 1
Artistic:4
Crafting: 2
Intellectual: 2

Thanks @GasBandit

Hollywood has taught me very accurately that if you can do all the gangs' taxes, they'll keep you from getting shanked by the non-gang affiliated crazy inmate who is being paid off by the corrupt prison guard.

being interested in "intellectual" does not mean "I am smart." It means "I like sitting at a desk all day shuffling papers, auditing inventory and doing math. Spreadsheets are fun and I have strong opinions about MLA vs APA."
When I had two roommates, I would go through the entire phone bill and dissect it three ways. I would then recalculate the fees and taxes based on how big each person's share was. I have always done my own taxes, and I have always used the long form. I independently discovered Pascal's Triangle and Huffman Coding before I really knew what they were. I used to pass the time on overnight shifts by calculating how fast interest would compound at different rates and different levels of contribution and at different rates of taxation (e.g., Roth IRA v. 401k). I think I qualify.

--Patrick

Given my love for databases, I definitely placed those points correctly.

Also, the answer is MLA. :awesome:

GasBandit

Staff member
*Points to Math degree*
*Points to the myriad spreadsheets made to track stupid shit just so I have household data to play with*
*Points to my looking forward to tax season because financial math*

HMMMMM
Yeah, I didn't question yours :p
Can I switch my skills to the following please?
I'll do that when I get home tonight.

Hey Gas, I didn't see an image for my character yet. Too hideous to post? Or what?

;)
Hrmm, that's odd... I know I MADE your character, but I guess I forgot to post it! Another thing I'll do tonight.

Hollywood has taught me very accurately that if you can do all the gangs' taxes, they'll keep you from getting shanked by the non-gang affiliated crazy inmate who is being paid off by the corrupt prison guard.
This situation is a little less shawshank redemption and a little more Hershel's Farm ;) But with bloodthirsty robots and angry natives instead of zombies.

Also, the answer is MLA. :awesome:
Fuck yeah it is.

... I probably should have put some points into intellectual skill, but I didn't want my ass stapled to a goddamn desk :p

If it's not too late, given that we're chock a block full of intellectuals, how about I change my Artistic to 6 and give it the interest point and drop intellectual to zero?

Wondering where stuff like installing gentoo *for fun* would fit. :D

Also maybe "incapable of mining" would mesh with my actual "FUCK COAL" attitude? :p

Straight from the traits list:
Masochist
For NAME, there's something exciting about getting hurt. They don't know why, they're just wired differently.
+5 mood bonus for being in a little pain
+10 mood bonus for being in medium pain
+15 mood bonus for being in severe pain
+20 mood bonus for being in shock

GasBandit

Staff member

Also maybe "incapable of mining" would mesh with my actual "FUCK COAL" attitude? :p
Being incapable of something is determined by origin. Unfortunately, all the available origins that trigger "incapable of mining" also come with other skills being rendered incapable that you have, or even excel at.

Besides, you won't be mining coal here :p chemfuel maybe, but not coal.

Being incapable of something is determined by origin. Unfortunately, all the available origins that trigger "incapable of mining" also come with other skills being rendered incapable that you have, or even excel at.

Besides, you won't be mining coal here :p chemfuel maybe, but not coal.
Nevermind, then. :)

If it is not too late, here is something approximating me from... some years ago.

NAME: Thomas "TommiR" Redvers
BODY TYPE: Thin
COMPLEXION: Pale
HEAD SIZE: Narrow
HAIR STYLE: Burgundy, Brown

SHOOTING: 6 *1 interest (Military training, training in mil tactics)
MELEE: 4 (Military hand-to-hand training)
SOCIAL: 2 (If it's not about work, then what is it about?)
ANIMALS: 1 (Never had a pet. You mean they need to eat?)
MEDICINE: 4 (First aid course + military first aid training)
COOKING: 2 (I can survive on my own, but that's about it)
CONSTRUCTION: 5 *2 interest (Designing settlements and producing efficiencies is FUN)
GROWING: 2 (I do the organisation, the peons will do the rest)
MINING: 0 (So I'm supposed to swing this pick at that rock?)
ARTISTIC: 0 (Don't know about art, but I know what I like)
CRAFTING: 6 *2 interest (Let me handle the production, you go over there and look pretty)
INTELLECTUAL: 4 (Ah yes, Hannibal faced this situation once, and this is what he did...)

HEALTH ISSUES: -

TRAITS:
Fast Walker (Seriousy, people keep telling me that I need to slow down)
Hard Worker (I think so)

EQUIPMENT: Silver for the colony (Noblesse oblige)

EDIT: If you need to dock points, then take, in order of priority:

SHOOTING: -1 (For me the training was mostly about other things than firing an assault rifle)
CRAFTING: -1 (Organising the workflow is good, picking up tools, not so much)

In case I have more points than I've listed here, then add, in order of priority:

CONSTRUCTION: +1 (Civil engineering courses)
INTELLECTUAL: +1 (I believe I'm fairly well read)

Last edited:
Says the guy who basically rolled Teenage Thor in HFA2 ;)
Exactly! NOT inserting myself into the game! That's deliberate, because if I do, and I die (and/or other bad stuff) then it might reflect on ME! But with complete fantasy, no worries! Just speculation on what "not me" would do!