[Contest] Guess the date of Trump's Impeachment!

He will not be removed from office. The impeachment process will produce jack shit, because Republicans in the Senate have already admitted as much. I'm actually more worried about making sure he's voted out in 2020, and worried that even if he is voted out he won't leave.

Yup, Mitch is a joke (as are the other hypocrites he leads). Trump isn't wrong, he CAN shoot someone in the street and it just won't matter.

figmentPez

Staff member
He will not be removed from office. The impeachment process will produce jack shit, because Republicans in the Senate have already admitted as much. I'm actually more worried about making sure he's voted out in 2020, and worried that even if he is voted out he won't leave.
Worried that he won't leave after being voted out? I'm worried there won't even be an election if he isn't removed from office.

Given the chance, the republicans might actually benefit from ejecting Trump from office. They would be seen as standing up to their own, for one, but, more importantly, they would get President Pence. It is a risky strategy for two reasons: One is that they may piss off their own constituents and lose a primary. The other is that they would need to really ratchet up a presidential campaign for Pence, which might not be a strong campaign. That said, Trump hasn't exactly been good for the republicans and there is a (not at all admirable or selfless) path for republicans to dump Trump.

I can see them sneak in the 25th with Pence and play the card that mental disease has taken ahold of cheeto, and we should pity him while supporting Pence as he continues the great works started cheeto.

Seriously no one can read that letter and go, yep fit for office!

Given the chance, the republicans might actually benefit from ejecting Trump from office. They would be seen as standing up to their own, for one, but, more importantly, they would get President Pence. It is a risky strategy for two reasons: One is that they may piss off their own constituents and lose a primary. The other is that they would need to really ratchet up a presidential campaign for Pence, which might not be a strong campaign. That said, Trump hasn't exactly been good for the republicans and there is a (not at all admirable or selfless) path for republicans to dump Trump.
Honestly though, I feel if they wanted to go that route they should've done it a bit sooner so prez Pence would have had some time to "prove" how good he is and how strong his conservative and Christian moral is. Even if Trump is impeached and removed from office before January, that doesn't leave a lot of room for Pence to achieve anything.

And it's all too late in many ways, anyway. Whatever positive will and influence the US had left anywhere i nthe world is really completely gone now. I can't see any rebel group or local insurgents or whatever trusting the US again for the next 20 or 30 years, easily. Pulling back the way Trump did was huge gift to Turkey, an even bigger gift to Russia, and an important gift to Iran. The only people really hurt are the Kurds - you know, your Best Allies In the Middle East, who were guarding your POWs, securing your air bases, and even pulled back their defenses when asked to so their enemy could march right in, and Israel, since Iran suddenly has an unopposed path to Lebanon.

If the Army was ever going to say an order was illegal or immoral, this should've been it. US troops literally left comrades they'd been fighting with shoulder-to-shoulder for years, to die. Movies will be made of this - and believe me, the "Orders are orders" military hierarchy will be the bad guys.

This is sort of my take on it? The longer the GOP waits to impeach and remove from office, the harder it's going to be to get a candidate out there to run against the Dem nominee. Sure, they can just say "Mike Pence was VP, so go with him" but how much impact has Pence had on the average person? At least Biden was meme worthy, for however shitty his actual politics were.

GasBandit

Staff member
This is sort of my take on it? The longer the GOP waits to impeach and remove from office, the harder it's going to be to get a candidate out there to run against the Dem nominee. Sure, they can just say "Mike Pence was VP, so go with him" but how much impact has Pence had on the average person? At least Biden was meme worthy, for however shitty his actual politics were.
Well, IIRC (granted I was 9 years old), the primary/only thing GHWB had name recognition for when he ran was that he was Reagan's VP...

But Reagan was generally popular and wasn't viewed as usurping Reagan. Taking out trump loses you the trump diehards but won't get you very many new voters.

But Bush was generally popular and wasn't viewed as usurping Reagan. Taking out trump loses you the trump diehards but won't get you very many new voters.
Yeah, this. Trump has an entire cult of personality fueling what remains of his agenda, but who actually likes Mike Pence outside of REALLY diehard conservative Christians? Pence is not Bush Sr.

I'm going to make a prediction here - not about the date of impeachment (which is looking like the vote could be sometime next week, aka 16-20 December 2019 for history's sake).

My prediction is, if the articles actually make it to the Senate floor to be voted upon, the final vote will be 42 for, 58 against.

Dave

Staff member
Everything will be along party line in both the house and the senate. McConnell has already said he's innocent and will be cleared in the senate. So yay for objectivity and being an impartial juror.

figmentPez

Staff member
So, Trump knows that as long as the Republicans control the Senate, that he can't be removed from office. He can do whatever he wants, and he can be impeached by the House over and over and over again, and nothing will ever come to it. What is stopping him from declaring martial law, canceling the next election, and being a dictator for life?

What is stopping him from declaring martial law, canceling the next election, and being a dictator for life?
A: Because he could never bring himself to do something so tyrannical.
B: Because the idea merely hasn’t occurred to him yet.
Choose only one answer.

—Patrick

So, Trump knows that as long as the Republicans control the Senate, that he can't be removed from office. He can do whatever he wants, and he can be impeached by the House over and over and over again, and nothing will ever come to it. What is stopping him from declaring martial law, canceling the next election, and being a dictator for life?

The plans are in motion right now.

A: Because he could never bring himself to do something so tyrannical.
B: Because the idea merely hasn’t occurred to him yet.
C: Nothing, it is going to happen.
D: He loves campaigning. Its literally his favorite part of the job. He might overturn the results if they aren't favorable but every republican-owned state is doing their part to get rid of any pesky voters that will prevent him from claiming a legitimate victory.

figmentPez

Staff member
D: He loves campaigning. Its literally his favorite part of the job. He might overturn the results if they aren't favorable but every republican-owned state is doing their part to get rid of any pesky voters that will prevent him from claiming a legitimate victory.
Hitler didn't stop giving speeches and propagandizing the crowd just because he was a dictator. Everything Trump loves about campaigning is still available to a dictator for life.

This feels more to me like an extra helping of "Own The Libs." Like, the entire reason they're even talking about a third term prior to even securing the second is because country be damned, they are now just trying to find all the ways they can cause Libs to gnash their teeth.

--Patrick

Didn't realize Trump was in town today, campaigning.
Shame the ice and snow left over from yesterday's storm didn't also get a chance to vote.

--Patrick