[Movies] Guardians of the Galaxy

Calling it now: The Blu-Ray, DVD, Digital release will include a special edition packaged with a dancing Groot.

And there had better be one with my name on it under the friggin Christmas tree.

If anybody wants to expand their Awesome Mix, James Gunn recently posted this on facebook:
James Gunn" said:
James Gunn
19 November at 13:26 · Los Angeles, CA, United States ·
AWESOME MIX VOLUME ZERO
As many of you know, music is an extremely important part of Guardians of the Galaxy. I chose the songs on Awesome Mix ahead of time, and even included them in the script. Where possible, the songs were played live on set - when you see the gang walking down the hall to Cherry Bomb, they were actually walking down the hall to Cherry Bomb. Likewise, the score by Tyler Bates was written largely before we started shooting, and we blared that sucker on set so the actors and cameras would all move in unison.
On lighter days, our master soundman Simon Hayes would also play music on set between takes to keep people's energy up. He did this while shooting the credit sequence in the Temple of Morag, and he also did it for the Boot of Jemiah, so we could keep the extras hyped and alive and feeling like they were in a bar atmosphere. Being that these were night shoots, it helped to keep people awake as well! Simon took requests for the credit scene, but for the Boot of Jemiah he asked me to put together an AWESOME playlist of high energy party tunes. So I did, featuring some of my favorite tunes. My assistant Simon Hatt (50% of British people are named Simon) just found this list and sent it to me. So I thought I'd share it with you in case you wanted to make your own BOOT OF JEMIAH PLAYLIST - or, as known from now on, Awesome Mix Volume Zero.
1. Never Wanted to Dance - Mindless Self Indulgence
2. Party Hard - Andrew W.K.
3. The Way It Was - Aceyalone (feat Bionik)
4. I Like It, I Love It - Lyrics Born
5. Let's Dance to Joy Division - The Wombats
6. Start Wearing Purple - Gogol Bordello
7. Ben Vereen - Pigeon John
8. Teenagers - My Chemical Romance
9. Black Fist - Juskwam and Lyrikill
10. Timebomb - The Old 97's

I'm noticing that American releases are a week or two behind the UK release. Apparently that applies to Blu-rays as well. What's the deal? From what I hear, it's because Americans are notorious pirates. They record the movies on their phones and then put them on Torrents sites. Chinese and Filipinos are the worst bootleggers who then access those sites and burn the movies to DVDs. By cutting Americans out of an early release, studios can preclude any bootlegging. I wonder if that's true.

The idea that they won't (not can't, but won't) do a simultaneous, world wide release in the age of the Internet is utterly ridiculous.

When the sequel is released in a few years, there will probably be another '70s pop soundtrack. Since the first movie's soundtrack often fit the situation (eg. "Escape" during the jailbreak scene), are there any songs you expect to hear in Awesome Mix Vol. 2? If so, what situation do you think would warrant that selection? Here are my two.

Come Around and See Me - The Raspberries
Situation: One of the Guardians has to act as a decoy and lead the enemy on a wild goose chase. Maybe through an asteroid field.

Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Situation: Peter Quill has to leave for a while.

Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight

For that scene where Gamora finally accepts that Quill sees her as a beautiful, intelligent, and lovable individual, rather than the tool or weapon she's been her whole life. Where she realizes that Quill isn't just using his pelvic sorcery to seduce her for a fling, instead he actually wants to be with her, despite her flaws and idiosyncrasies.

And then Quill says something to spoil the mood, and song screeches to a halt with that record scratch sound effect.

Perhaps for a battle prep sequence. And maybe it's just me, but I find it difficult to tell men and women apart in these '70s videos.

All they need is Boston's debut album for a soundtrack. That's easily one the best from the 70's.

But, since I really enjoy punk, I'd be sorely remiss if I didn't mention: The Sex Pistols, The Clash, the Ramones. The Ramones are so ubiquitous nowadays, I'd rather see more obscure punk like The Stooges, but that's not going to happen.

It may be because of it's hold on the part of my mind that is guiltily in love with the movie, but it would be a shame to not go with this: