[Movies] Guardians of the Galaxy

And I also forgot to include the most recent gem. So, yeah, that's 2 left unaccounted for. I don't know if they're even bothering with specific aspects. The Mind Gem is pretty clear, and James Gunn has said that the one in GoTG is, in fact, the Power Gem, but the Tesseract and the Aether? Not really sure what they are specifically. I'm thinking the Aether may be the Space Gem, what with the ripping through various planes of existence, and the Tesseract may be the Reality Gem. They haven't really shown it doing anything other than being a power source.... OOO, but I just had a thought. What if it's the Time Gem and Red Skull wasn't actually killed, but shifted into the future? But, like I said, they may just be 6 equally all powerful McGuffins in the cinematic universe.

And I also forgot to include the most recent gem. So, yeah, that's 2 left unaccounted for. I don't know if they're even bothering with specific aspects. The Mind Gem is pretty clear, and James Gunn has said that the one in GoTG is, in fact, the Power Gem, but the Tesseract and the Aether? Not really sure what they are specifically. I'm thinking the Aether may be the Space Gem, what with the ripping through various planes of existence, and the Tesseract may be the Reality Gem. They haven't really shown it doing anything other than being a power source.... OOO, but I just had a thought. What if it's the Time Gem and Red Skull wasn't actually killed, but shifted into the future? But, like I said, they may just be 6 equally all powerful McGuffins in the cinematic universe.
I saw the Tesseract as the Space Gem and the Aether as the Reality Gem. The way how Red Skull was "vaporized" by the Tesseract looked a lot like teleportation, while Malekith had intended to use the Aether to rewrite the universe to how it was when there was only darkness.

I saw the Tesseract as the Space Gem and the Aether as the Reality Gem. The way how Red Skull was "vaporized" by the Tesseract looked a lot like teleportation, while Malekith had intended to use the Aether to rewrite the universe to how it was when there was only darkness.
You may be right. I just rewatched the scene with Red Skull in Captain America and that looked an awful lot like the transportation on the rainbow bridge.

So maybe Red Skull was just teleported to another planet.

Are we certain the Tesseract and the Soul Gem are two separate things? We saw in the showcase for the gems in GotG that the Tesseract was definitely an infinity gem/stone, but I don't think it showed the gem from Loki's staff. They WERE also connected, since interacting with each other forced the portal to close. I was under the impression that one was the same as the other, like it as part of the same gem somehow. I could be totally wrong, of course. I'm just going specifically by how they worked in Avengers. Though I think it's clear that the gem in Loki's staff was the Mind gem, purely from how he took control of people or manipulated, like he almost did Banner.

Come to think of it, they never addressed what happened to staff at the end. The tesseract went with Thor and Loki, of course, but they didn't show the staff.

Are we certain the Tesseract and the Soul Gem are two separate things? We saw in the showcase for the gems in GotG that the Tesseract was definitely an infinity gem/stone, but I don't think it showed the gem from Loki's staff. They WERE also connected, since interacting with each other forced the portal to close. I was under the impression that one was the same as the other, like it as part of the same gem somehow. I could be totally wrong, of course. I'm just going specifically by how they worked in Avengers. Though I think it's clear that the gem in Loki's staff was the Mind gem, purely from how he took control of people or manipulated, like he almost did Banner.

Come to think of it, they never addressed what happened to staff at the end. The tesseract went with Thor and Loki, of course, but they didn't show the staff.
Yes, they did, at the end of Winter Soldier. They show that Hydra is in posession of Loki's staff. It's during Baron Strucker's little monologue about how the world is changing. I'm guessing that they will use it to control Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch.

Yes, they did, at the end of Winter Soldier. They show that Hydra is in posession of Loki's staff. It's during Baron Strucker's little monologue about how the world is changing. I'm guessing that they will use it to control Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch.

Ah, well they addressed it in ANOTHER movie, but I just meant specifically Avengers.

I saw it again last night and it was still just as good. I also noticed a few more exhibits in the Collector's museum. There was one figure wearing armor and a cape that looked suspiciously like Thor's. I'm thinking Beta Ray Bill.

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, we can only assume that The Collector still has the Aether. If he's anything like the guy from the comics, there's no way in hell he would give up such a rare object, even to Thanos. And the Tesseract is still in Asgard. Hydra has the mind gem. So that leaves 3 unaccounted for.
Hydra has Loki's staff?

Also, the new Turtles looks to be taking first place at the box office this weekend. Goddammit. I wanted that Bayriffic piece of shit to bomb.

Also, the new Turtles looks to be taking first place at the box office this weekend. Goddammit. I wanted that Bayriffic piece of shit to bomb.
Yeah, I'd hoped Guardians would play a double weekend at the top. I didn't really see Turtles as competition, but then again, there were probably a lot of 5-year-olds who wanted to go.

Wow, 20+ years and nothing's changed.

EVERYONE who wasn't involved in making that movie wanted it to bomb. But the American movie going public are fucking morons and now we'll have to see two-three sequels of the movie once it does amazing internationally.

EVERYONE who wasn't involved in making that movie wanted it to bomb. But the American movie going public are fucking morons and now we'll have to see two-three sequels of the movie once it does amazing internationally.
It is a shame that what sounds like such a bad version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is doing well. Let's hope for a quick drop in terms of profits.

Among my many issues from what I've read about this film is what they do with Shredder. Eric Sachs (William Fichtner's character) is a separate character from Shredder, but it seems clear that it was originally intended that Eric would be the Shredder. With what they've done now, Shredder is pretty much devoid of all personality and backstory. All he is now is a guy in a shiny suit for the Turtles to fight.

At least the current Nickelodeon cartoon series has been a great take on the Turtles thus far.

It is a shame that what sounds like such a bad version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is doing well. Let's hope for a quick drop in terms of profits.

Among my many issues from what I've read about this film is what they do with Shredder. Eric Sachs (William Fichtner's character) is a separate character from Shredder, but it seems clear that it was originally intended that Eric would be the Shredder. With what they've done now, Shredder is pretty much devoid of all personality and backstory. All he is now is a guy in a shiny suit for the Turtles to fight.

At least the current Nickelodeon cartoon series has been a great take on the Turtles thus far.
Nope, there's an Oroku Saki in the movie, Sachs works for him, according to /co/ spoilers.

Nope, there's an Oroku Saki in the movie, Sachs works for him, according to /co/ spoilers.
He is there, but it sounds to me like there's no real substance to him. There is no backstory given, no dark history with Splinter or Hamato Yoshi (who isn't in the film), nothing. In fact, Eric Sachs seems very much like an Anglicized version of the name Oroku Saki. All that's really left of Shredder is his armor filled out with excessive blades and a scheme to release a deadly virus in New York, then release a cure made from mutagen and reap the profits. I personally think that they had intended for Eric Sachs to be Shredder, but the fan response prompted them to do a lazy rewrite to separate them.

Whoa, hold the phone, guys--you're telling me the Michael Bay Ninja Turtles movie sucks?
Well, yeah. That was an inevitability, considering it was coming from his production company. Barely anything that comes form his production company is good. The only thing I thought was any good to come from Platinum Dunes was The Purge: Anarchy.

Well, yeah. That was an inevitability, considering it was coming from his production company. Barely anything that comes form his production company is good. The only thing I thought was any good to come from Platinum Dunes was The Purge: Anarchy.
Right. Let's all keep in mind that before people bitched about it, the Turtles were going to be aliens.

In fact, why am I wasting time talking about that shit? Guardians of the Galaxy, dammit.

I may have to buy the soundtrack.

Dave

Staff member
On rotten tomatoes, ninja turtles is rated lower that "Into the Storm". Think about that.

Turtle Power.

--Patrick
Did anyone else get Megan Fox saying that during a commercial before Guardians? Even the little kids in the row behind us were making fun of it.

On rotten tomatoes, ninja turtles is rated lower that "Into the Storm". Think about that.
:confused:

:thumbsdown:

That's kind of impressive. Not for Into the Storm; just for Turtles to be rated shittier than Twister 2: It's Bigger, It's Badder, It's Too Much for Mr. Incredible.