[Movies] Guardians of the Galaxy

Excuse me? If you didn't want anyone but Zero Esc to respond to what you said, why didn't you PM him, then?

You called him Shazam. I'm aware DC changed the name, if only to keep lawyers happy and paid. Doesn't make it any less stupid. He's been Captain Marvel since 1940. He was Captain Marvel when he came back in the early 70s.

Captain Marvel was the first comic book hero I read as a kid. I don't have to accept a needless name change just because a faceless conglomerate with more attorneys than brains says so.
I honestly don't get how you're getting any of what you're getting out of what i am saying. Of course the issue is not that i have a strict "don't speak except when spoken to" rule. that would be silly, no matter how dreamy Zero Esc may or may not be.

But you are reacting to something I said to someone else, as though it is incorrect, based on something you said. Even though it is actually completely correct, based on reality. What I said, again, had nothing to do with your statement beyond the name Shazam, which is tje correct name given to the character by the people who own that character, and the name he will certainly be given if given his own movie. The Rock would not be playing Captain Marvel, he'd be playing Shazam. If it helps to think of them as two separate characters, then think of it like that. in that case, I wasn't speaking of Captain Marvel, I was speaking of Shazam, who looks much like Captain Marvel and has the same powers and origin, but is a totally different person.

As far as faceless conglomerate mumbo jumbo, like it or not that faceless conglomerate owns the character, and eventually, you DO have to accept their changes.
Thats easier for me to do because i have no attachment to the character. But when changes are made to my childhood things, I don't actively deny these changes and try to tell people they are wrong. Its something we have to do as adults.
Hell, the last Hobbit movie was shit and changed just about everything from the book. i grew up reading that book with my mom, one chapter a night, over and over again for years. I love that book. But if someone wants to say Legolas saved the dwarves asses in Mirkwood Forest from the spiders, I don't go "Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! IDIOT!" I tell them "in the movie yes, but did you know that in the book, he wasn't even there? Bilbo saved them."

Captain Marvel looks like this now. Sorry, but it's an ok thing.

Well.... yes and no. While Carol Danvers is currently using the name Captain Marvel, the one I referred to was the Kree who's given name is Mar-Vell. Generally known as Captain Marvel. I still think of Carol as Mrs. Marvel, not Captain.

There have been a few people to use the name.

Mar-Vell
Genis-Vell (Mar-Vell's son)
Phyla-Vell (Mar-Vell's daughter)
Monica Rambeau
Carol Danvers

Weird thing is that only 3 of them even had the same powers.

And to bring it back on topic. Phyla-Vell was one of the founding members of the current version of what?

The Guardians of the Galaxy

Last edited:
I don't mind calling her Captain Marvel, especially since there is a new Ms. Marvel:

And if you haven't read the new series yet, I highly recommend it. A great mix of humor and heroics. I just went out and bought the entire run for myself, which is up to issue 7 or 8, iirc.

I do have to say that it was pretty cool that for a while the superhero who was the namesake of the company was actually a black woman.

Especially because it was during the 80s and early 90s.

I haven't really talked about the movie much, but I will say this, as a kid who loved the Infinity Gauntlet comics and bought every Silver Surfer comic and every Infinity Watch issue I could and who couldn't get enough Adam Warlock and anything cosmic Marvel, the scene where:

Ronan is talking to Thanos and Thanos is just chilling on a sweet floating asteroid chair may have been the most childhood fulfilling moment of my life. At that moment I was an 8 year old boy watching in awe.

Coming soon from DC and WB: Protectors of the Universe!

With rag-tag sort of pirate outlaws such as Space Prince! Sodum! Crunx! Gflower! And Bazooka Badger! Watch as they battle the evil Rodan and his blue bald sidekick Quazar, played by Billie Piper. It's not just space stuff, kids, it's also hilarious. Not witty humor, just poop jokes and slapstick. Not even good slapstick; poorly-timed, awkward, uncomfortable slapstick that makes you unsure if you should cringe or look away or both.

A movie so bad, with a lower budget you'd think it was an Asylum rip-off.

fade

Staff member
Just got back. It was awesome. Left on a high. The only real negative was the absolutely horrible "southern" accents at the beginning, but then I have a personal vendetta against bad southern accents.

Saw it again, this time in non-3D. I can comfortably say that the 3D isn't necessary and you're not missing much if you see the movie without it. Still loved it and may still see it a third time before it's gone.

fade

Staff member
The theater was almost empty when is went. I wonder if the target demo was all at ninja turtles. I went out again to check that I was in the right room.[DOUBLEPOST=1407588223,1407587909][/DOUBLEPOST]Also next morning musing: space floating cancer mom was pretty corny.

The theater was almost empty when is went. I wonder if the target demo was all at ninja turtles. I went out again to check that I was in the right room.
Same here, but I went at 1pm on a Thursday. If you aren't there on the weekend or opening night, you aren't ever going to see a crowd anymore.

So, I just got back from seeing it, FINALLY.

And IT WAS AWESOME! So much fun. Easily the best moment, for me at least was...

Mother-fucking THANOS. He's only in the movie for about a minute, but as soon as he spins around in that huge throne, I got chills. The sheer confidence. The way he smiled... When Rhonin double crossed him, all I could think of was "You fool, that's fucking THANOS, do you know what he'll do to you?"

So, I just got back from seeing it, FINALLY.

And IT WAS AWESOME! So much fun. Easily the best moment, for me at least was...

Mother-fucking THANOS. He's only in the movie for about a minute, but as soon as he spins around in that huge throne, I got chills. The sheer confidence. The way he smiled... When Rhonin double crossed him, all I could think of was "You fool, that's fucking THANOS, do you know what he'll do to you?"
Neither my wife nor myself have read any comics with Thanos in them, but both of us after the movie were like, "That was really the stupidest fucking thing he ever did.

I loved that normal, non-edited voice coming out of Thanos as well. It made him more imposing than if they'd done a bunch of boom shit to it. Josh Brolin sold it.

Neither my wife nor myself have read any comics with Thanos in them, but both of us after the movie were like, "That was really the stupidest fucking thing he ever did.

I loved that normal, non-edited voice coming out of Thanos as well. It made him more imposing than if they'd done a bunch of boom shit to it. Josh Brolin sold it.
Thanos's reaction to the betrayal was perfect, too. In that he didn't really react, he looked absolutely unworried. It was more of a "Do you realize how dumb you're being right now?" kind of reaction.

I think they really captured Thanos perfectly. Ridiculous asteroid throne, obviously knows he's a badass (I WILL BATHE THE STARWAYS WITH YOUR BLOOD), and that fucking smile he gives Ronan. Oh, and yeah, when he's betrayed and all he has to say is "Boy," you know you done goofed.

I don't think Ronan even realized that even with the Infinity Gem, Thanos probably would have ground him into paste.

I'm glad this movie is doing so well. We won't have a chance to see it again for a couple weeks, but I'm pretty sure it'll still be running in theaters. There's really nothing to compete with it (yes, I'm aware of Turtles and Frank Miller's WhoresWhoresWhores Obsession in the Big City).

Well, we can only assume that The Collector still has the Aether. If he's anything like the guy from the comics, there's no way in hell he would give up such a rare object, even to Thanos. And the Tesseract is still in Asgard. Hydra has the mind gem. So that leaves 3 unaccounted for.

Well, we can only assume that The Collector still has the Aether. If he's anything like the guy from the comics, there's no way in hell he would give up such a rare object, even to Thanos. And the Tesseract is still in Asgard. Hydra has the soul gem. So that leaves 3 unaccounted for.
Soul Gem? Considering the powers displayed by the staff when Loki used it to mind control others, I always took it to be the Mind Gem.

Anyway, there are still two more gems that are unaccounted for, now that the Power Gem is in the hands of the Nova Corps.