General Empyrion Thread

Dave

Staff member
I went to bed quite early last night and didn't play. My wife was amazed and worried that I was sick or something.

Dave

Staff member
I think someone found one of my bases. The flak turrets were drained of ammo and they only fired on other factions. Nothing was seriously damaged so I think they ran. The flak turrets have now been refilled.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh man, it finally happened - I slept through my alarm and woke up with the clock reading a time past when I was already supposed to be at work.

I hate to say it, but I'm gonna have to start enforcing an earlier bedtime for myself :/

Dave

Staff member
The rules do not address this, but can you place bases around nodes? Barring that, can you build over autominers?

It was suggested we do this with a certain node and I didn't think that sounded kosher. But I thought I'd ask.

The rules do not address this, but can you place bases around nodes? Barring that, can you build over autominers?

It was suggested we do this with a certain node and I didn't think that sounded kosher. But I thought I'd ask.
This is rule number one under the PvE subsection of the server rules. You cannot do this in PvE, but can in PvP all you want.

Dave

Staff member
Gotcha. I was only looking for it in PvP. It would be stupid to do it in PvE because when it reset everything would go away. The autominers question would be impossible in PvE space.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gotcha. I was only looking for it in PvP. It would be stupid to do it in PvE because when it reset everything would go away. The autominers question would be impossible in PvE space.
Well, unless you remembered to log back in every night before 2am to pick them up, then RE-log in again after the 2am reset to set them back down.

Well, I've experienced a planet-bound plant killing bug, but I'm still not sure if it's the same thing that was necessitating Cornucopias back on Renntech. In my case, there were big patches of ground that weren't rendering as I flew along in my CV, and then when I got to the base, half of it was missing (including a bunch of the walls of the garden). I couldn't see most of the plants (they didn't render), but the ones I could see were dead. When I relogged, all of the building was back, all of the plants were back, but the ones that had been dead before I relogged were still dead.

GasBandit

Staff member
It has been brought to my attention that I am, in fact, mistaken... ASTEROIDS in space DO regrow themselves. So you CAN mine them over and over.

Dave

Staff member
It has been brought to my attention that I am, in fact, mistaken... ASTEROIDS in space DO regrow themselves. So you CAN mine them over and over.
Awesome. So it'll actually be worth it to find gold in the asteroids since they will be the only sources that respawn.

Well, I've experienced a planet-bound plant killing bug, but I'm still not sure if it's the same thing that was necessitating Cornucopias back on Renntech. In my case, there were big patches of ground that weren't rendering as I flew along in my CV, and then when I got to the base, half of it was missing (including a bunch of the walls of the garden). I couldn't see most of the plants (they didn't render), but the ones I could see were dead. When I relogged, all of the building was back, all of the plants were back, but the ones that had been dead before I relogged were still dead.
Same thing happened to me last night. So I replanted all the plants.

The ones that had died during the glitch died again overnight.

So, since I'm using the HMS Titan base, I'm going to dig that entire garden room off of the side of it, and park a garden CV right up in that same space to use as a grow room.

I don't know, but I hope it doesn't spread too much. I'm working on a massive farming complex and I'd hate to have to make it a big CV.

I have done some research and have read that adding blocks to a base may be a/the root cause. When you add a block, it re-calculates structural integrity which may leave your plants without o2/temp/etc for a microsecond, killing them.

I didn't have any problems with my base plants until yesterday. But I also did a whole lot of adding to my base.

I plan on doing some experimentation around the problem over the next couple of days.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have done some research and have read that adding blocks to a base may be a/the root cause. When you add a block, it re-calculates structural integrity which may leave your plants without o2/temp/etc for a microsecond, killing them.

I didn't have any problems with my base plants until yesterday. But I also did a whole lot of adding to my base.

I plan on doing some experimentation around the problem over the next couple of days.
I can definitely attest that I had plants repeatedly die on Renntech in the Yaral Orbital Branch when absolutely no block changes were made. But maybe it's different in Alpha 8.

I can definitely attest that I had plants repeatedly die on Renntech in the Yaral Orbital Branch when absolutely no block changes were made. But maybe it's different in Alpha 8.
It's also guys blue sky-ing on the internet. Which is why experimentation is in order :)

Dave

Staff member
I'm going to regret saying this, but...I have never had plants just die. Except when I had them on a ship and shut down the power without thinking.

I'm going to regret saying this, but...I have never had plants just die. Except when I had them on a ship and shut down the power without thinking.
I never had either until yesterday. But I also hadn't ever been heavily configuring/modifying a base that had active plants on it. So, in my mind, there's a kernel of possibility in the theory.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't trust it. Cornucopias all the way TFN.
This turned out to be sound advice. The second time I RtB with a CV, half my base didn't render, and all my non-alien/non-aloe plants in that building died. I'm in Creative Mode right now building the world's most ridiculous Garden of Hades CV I can build (I already have upwards of 400+ steel grow plots in live play, so a Cornucopia just doesn't cut it).

My elegant solution to the Titan base gardening problem:

• Dig out the entire garden room.
  • Build an Agrostar CV (basically 144 grow plots on a CV without much else).
  • Multitool some of the back end blocks off so I can back it up to the base.
  • Build a door and a short hallway, so for all intents and purposes, the gardening CV appears to be just another base room when you're actually inside the base. Because blocks are a standard size, and I backed up the CV to be flush with the base, you can barely tell where the base ends and the CV begins from the inside.
20180627213334_1.jpg

That green bit on the left is the agrostar cv.

Dave

Staff member
I logged on for a bit tonight and then got off to eat dinner. Watched a show with the wife...and fell asleep for 3 hours. Now I’m wide awake but the computer is in the same room we sleep in so I guess I’m just stuck surfing on my phone as I’m not even remotely tired.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, and I forgot I wanted to post this, too...

I expanded my rudimentary Akua base somewhat... it is the GASzebo, and as people have taken to asking to buy ingots from me, it's sort of become my place of business, I've made it more.. businesslike.

First, I made a large accomodation pavilion, with tables, plants, complimentary snacks, and even a heater to keep people warm as they observe the scenic grandeur of the north fucking pole (where I built my base).

Second, I set up a sign, advertising the GASzebo and the services it offers! The video feed on the spokesbabe is a little rudimentary, but that's the best that can be done with the tech as it stands....

But when you're trying to turn a ramshackle hut at the north pole into an intergalactic Stuckey's, you need a gimmick, something to draw attention and get people to pull over and look at you. So, I've rebuilt MEGAS and put him back to work. He stands proudly atop the accomodation pavilion, proudly flipping the bird to all points south. And, given the location, that's pretty much the rest of the world.

So come on down to the GASZEBO, for all your ingot and teleporter needs. There's plenty of parking, and we have a buy-none-get-some-free sale on bags of ice because WE'RE AT THE FUCKING NORTH POLE.

Now all you need is a radio commercial to come crackling over my in-suit speakers every now and again, Borderlands-style.
You also might want to codify the "prices tripled once you are above level <whatever>."

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I do like how you've undercut my zascosium and erestrum.
Neither of us have gone low enough, though, apparently, because nobody's buying that from me either. So far 90% of my sales have been Sathium.

Now all you need is a radio commercial to come crackling over my in-suit speakers every now and again, Borderlands-style.
You also might want to codify the "prices tripled once you are above level <whatever>."

--Patrick
I don't codify it because it's at my discretion from moment to moment. Mostly to keep Shadows from buying me dry at discount prices :p

Dave

Staff member
You need to make your prices per bar. People see the overall cost and go, "Well that's out of my price range!"

GasBandit

Staff member
You need to make your prices per bar. People see the overall cost and go, "Well that's out of my price range!"
Well, I also don't want to spend all my play time travelling back to Akua to sell 10 ingots of unobtanium. So if I price myself out of some sales, I'm ok with that.

Really, I wish there was a way for me to customize the built-in player trade functions. Lower the ridiculously high 10% consignment fee, and make it so you can complete all transactions from any trade station anywhere in the game instead of having to go to the specific structure where the deal is made.

GasBandit

Staff member
So far 90% of your sales have been to Shadows.

--Patrick
Well, I am not sure about 90%, and it depends on whether you're measuring by transaction or by volume... after all I've had multiple purchases (via the trade station, granted, instead of me having to show up in person) from Bowman, Lord of the Dwarves, and Eisenwulf.

GasBandit

Staff member
6 new sectors (15 new playfields including orbits and moons) will be going in tonight, after the nightly restart.