General Empyrion Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
Thanks to @Tinwhistler , we finally have automatic (well, semi-automatic) vote reward claiming! After you've voted, simply type /reward in game chat, and the 6000 credits will be deposited directly to your account (instead of by money card).

And we're gaining! Just 10 more points (which is about 5 votes I think) and we overtake SBS at number 7!

GasBandit

Staff member
Server got borked on reboot this morning for some reason. It should work now, and I've made a change to the yaml to help stop that from happening again.

I posted some rules for the faction, can you give them a once-over, and (assuming they pass muster) set up the CB to spam just my faction with a link once every 6 hours or so? Also, I'm now off to go talk to a certain member about rule number 5.

GasBandit

Staff member
I believe I have fixed the "was their time after all" grammar glitch in the death spam. It should now say "Turns out it was (name)'s time after all." But who knows if it will work right, we will see.

GasBandit

Staff member
I posted some rules for the faction, can you give them a once-over, and (assuming they pass muster) set up the CB to spam just my faction with a link once every 6 hours or so? Also, I'm now off to go talk to a certain member about rule number 5.
What, you don't think it's endearing when he threatens to break into my house at night and slit my throat? :p

Unfortunately the chatbot can't spam just a faction channel repeatedly by my order, but you CAN send a mass message to your own faction channel (once per line) using a chatbot command. It will save the message for any who are not online and deliver it to them once they are.

What, you don't think it's endearing when he threatens to break into my house at night and slit my throat? :p
Fuck no. I don't think anyone currently on server would ever take him seriously, but someone might - and that just gets all kinds of ugly, especially since that SWATing death in Kansas.

Unfortunately the chatbot can't spam just a faction channel repeatedly by my order, but you CAN send a mass message to your own faction channel (once per line) using a chatbot command. It will save the message for any who are not online and deliver it to them once they are.
Ok, I'll take a look at that. I talked to Shadows about the threatening language and linked him the rules, but I also told him I'd ask you to tone down the jokes about his arachnophobia. If he can't complain about being tired (and he shouldn't), he shouldn't be constantly subjected to his fear either.

GasBandit

Staff member
Those crafty SBS guys are trying to vote their way away from us, but we're still gaining. VOTE ye mugs, VOTE!

Dave

Staff member
They have 21 people on right now. Until we get more people I can totally see them staying ahead of us and I think rightly so.

GasBandit

Staff member
They have 21 people on right now. Until we get more people I can totally see them staying ahead of us and I think rightly so.
They're about to pass Audaces Ex Nihilo into 6th, and I think we can pass those guys into 7th.

GasBandit

Staff member
One of the things I'd like to be doing is creating new custom POIs for you guys, but that means spending a lot more time in creative mode instead of in game. I'll start doing that once I've got my shit together and my base full of ingots :p

Then I'll start making stuff and creating new planets, too.

GasBandit

Staff member
The last couple nights, the restart process has been acting up.

Starting this morning, I am changing the daily restart to be 9 am central instead of 2 am central, so I'll be able to watch it happend without being a zombie at work anymore.

Bah! Well, you can add me to the list of people who have foolishly undocked an HV in space. I managed to catch it in the hangar of my CV, but I couldn't dock it so I had to scrap it in place.

GasBandit

Staff member
I overslept and didn't get to monitor the restart this morning, but it seems to have gone off ok, so I'm moving the time back to 2 am now. Next restart will be tonight at 2 am.

Also I added more death messages, so we will have more variety in the death spam.

Dave

Staff member
I should have worked from home again today. Not much going on and I would rather be doing something productive.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've just found a part of the admin tool that lets me set a playfield such that structures on it are wiped after X hours.... so, for example, if I set it to 720 hours on Akua, any base built on Akua would be deleted 30 days after it was created. I wonder why Renntech didn't use that instead of a straight up wipe every week... well, maybe because back then there was no way to reset resources without a complete wipe, too...

Anyway, that may become an option if and when we actually start to get crowded enough that it needs to be done, and then if just doing "stuff not touched the longest" manually gets to be too inconvenient.

So here's why I didn't understand why there needed to be a discussion about how often the resources on Akua replenish themselves/how big they are.

baseberries.png

I didn't plan that, I was just looking for a good "port"-like location to ensure good water generation, and ended up with what you see.
Could use more copper, though...

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
So here's why I didn't understand why there needed to be a discussion about how often the resources on Akua replenish themselves/how big they are.

View attachment 27086

I didn't plan that, I was just looking for a good "port"-like location to ensure good water generation, and ended up with what you see.
Could use more copper, though...

--Patrick
I've actually increased the amount of copper in the template YAML, but, as I discovered to my chagrin, even a "resource wipe" doesn't consult the yaml. The only way to put changes in place is to completely wipe the planet, structures and all.

I'm THINKING there MAY be a way to do that and then restore the structures from backup... but that's gonna be a "late night when nobody's on but me" kind of experiment.

I've actually increased the amount of copper in the template YAML, but, as I discovered to my chagrin, even a "resource wipe" doesn't consult the yaml. The only way to put changes in place is to completely wipe the planet, structures and all.
Nah, it's not a problem. There's plenty more copper nearby, I just have to go over the mountain range to do it, and I only had the HV to do it.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Nah, it's not a problem. There's plenty more copper nearby, I just have to go over the mountain range to do it, and I only had the HV to do it.

--Patrick
Well, I mean, you're far from the only person to say something about copper on Akua.

Of course, most of those people could also just BUY it from the vendors at the trade station...

Alpha 8.1 has been released, and in addition to blocking us all from logging on to the server until @GasBandit has a chance to update the server, it has at least one positive bit in the changelog:

Adapted Spider Spawning:
- reduced size of spider group
- reduced number of spider spawn points by around 25%
- slightly larger safe zone around starter biome
And sadly, there's this:
Fixed: SSOR deposits regenerate if you leave some of the deposit & leave it, then return to it (MP only)

Aww, and apparently this one was a bug:
Fixed: Possible to drill surface stones with HV Tree Harvester

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
See now, I don't like these changes. I LIKE the fact that spiders were everywhere and came in large numbers. It's not like they were very dangerous and it made the early days a challenge.

See now, I don't like these changes. I LIKE the fact that spiders were everywhere and came in large numbers. It's not like they were very dangerous and it made the early days a challenge.
Yes, but apparently the vast majority of Empyrion players have a problem with following simple directions like "Walk backward and hit it with the survival tool," or "Read the directions on the screen that tell you how to make a survival tool." Personally, I'm just glad to have an option to stop wasting all of my predator turret ammo at our starter planet bases when 3 spiders spawn at them every 10 minutes.

The spider change is welcome. Seasoned survival players might have less trouble with them, but being bombed with 3-4 spiders every 10 minutes is NOT a good way to build your player base, especially with people who may not have played the game before. Also, @Dave, those spiders aren't such a problem on "Easy" difficulty, but try going up against some even with the game set to "Normal" and you'll find out that the survival tool will drain away all your fatigue about the time you've managed to kill only 2 of them (meaning you can't shoot any more AND you can't run), and I don't even know how much worse it would be on "Hard."

I'm really going to miss the ability to crunch up rocks with an HV, though.

--Patrick

The spider change is welcome. Seasoned survival players might have less trouble with them, but being bombed with 3-4 spiders every 10 minutes is NOT a good way to build your player base, especially with people who may not have played the game before. Also, @Dave, those spiders aren't such a problem on "Easy" difficulty, but try going up against some even with the game set to "Normal" and you'll find out that the survival tool will drain away all your fatigue about the time you've managed to kill only 2 of them (meaning you can't shoot any more AND you can't run), and I don't even know how much worse it would be on "Hard."

I'm really going to miss the ability to crunch up rocks with an HV, though.

--Patrick
Ha! I lucked out and dropped into a really pleasant, almost starter-biome at server start and didn't see spiders at all for hours. Meanwhile, everyone else was getting killed constantly when they spawned in - either by drones or spiders. The MP start is so random, I'm glad to see the spiders cut down as well. Letting players get a little bit established before overwhelming them with death isn't a bad idea. Especially since, while they added a whole bunch of neutral PoIs for newbs to survive their first night in, they're very few and far between on these massive planets - and that's assuming that certain players haven't managed to find them all and either try to stick a core in it to turn it into a CV and steal it or just scrapped the whole thing for precious, precious steel plates (seriously, some people need to knock it the hell off, but you're not one of them to my knowledge).

Dave

Staff member
But I *DID* start out on normal, not easy. And you don't have to RUN from the spiders, merely walk backwards. You hit them a few times and they run away briefly, giving you time to stand and get a little stamina back. The only things that really mess you up are night raptors and those demigorgon flower pieces of shit.

Server is patched and back up.

Patch details:
https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-8-1-bug-fixes-and-improvements.38404/

Notable also:

- Added "Camera Shake" option to Misc Options: you can now switch it off
- Added combat steel blocks for HVs (Note: for fast-swapping materials on your HV in Creative Mode, check out this help topic: https://empyriononline.com/threads/help-topic-replaceblocks-command.38359/ )
Having already updated and re-uploaded my blueprints, will Steam automatically disseminate that update to various subscribers' clients through a workshop update, or will people need to resub (which seems silly)?

GasBandit

Staff member
Having already updated and re-uploaded my blueprints, will Steam automatically disseminate that update to various subscribers' clients through a workshop update, or will people need to resub (which seems silly)?
It will automatically update any subscribers. It won't update any they already had built (either physically or completed-but-awaiting-spawn in the factory), but any new ones they send "to factory" will be the new version.

Dave

Staff member
I just watched your last stream and didn't realize that there were times I couldn't hear Gas speaking.

And I am talking way too fucking much.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just watched your last stream and didn't realize that there were times I couldn't hear Gas speaking.

And I am talking way too fucking much.
I enabled push to talk so that I can jabber at my stream in a narrative format without sounding like Shadows in discord.