General Empyrion Thread

But I *DID* start out on normal, not easy. And you don't have to RUN from the spiders, merely walk backwards. You hit them a few times and they run away briefly, giving you time to stand and get a little stamina back. The only things that really mess you up are night raptors and those demigorgon flower pieces of shit.
You can also stand and defend on top of one of the really big rocks (i.e., “high ground”), but again, these are things you don’t really learn until after you’ve played (and died) a few times.

—Patrick

So, I was all set to go to Akua Moon to mine some pentaxid when I discovered 2 things:

• When I tried to drone mine on akua moon, the ground deformed a little, but within about 1-2 meters, I ran into a non-deformable area I couldn't fly through, but I could see through if I pushed my drone close enough to it, and could dig through it. Weird. I dunno if it was a glitch, because I haven't been back yet because of weird thing #2:
  • My SV has no o2 station, so I figured I'd make a few small o2 bottles to bring with me. But I can't find them in the advanced constructors. The survival constructor supposedly makes them, but surely you can make them in the big constructors, right?

GasBandit

Staff member
When I tried to drone mine on akua moon, the ground deformed a little, but within about 1-2 meters, I ran into a non-deformable area I couldn't fly through, but I could see through if I pushed my drone close enough to it, and could dig through it. Weird. I dunno if it was a glitch, because I haven't been back yet because of weird thing #2:
That's a common bug left over from previous versions... sometimes the game renders a false second "ground" floor at sea level of planets without actual seas. It is usually fixed by relogging.

My SV has no o2 station, so I figured I'd make a few small o2 bottles to bring with me. But I can't find them in the advanced constructors. The survival constructor supposedly makes them, but surely you can make them in the big constructors, right?
Unfortunately, at this time, the only way to get small o2 bottles is out of an emergency oxygen generator (which you can only get from POIs or in the CB:Survival care package... maybe I should add it to merchants). Many merchants also sell an "emergency oxygen" bottle, which holds 35 oxygen (whereas the "small" oxy bottle holds 50). I'm pretty sure the Akua Trade Station stocks those, somewhere...

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, that stinks. :)
Hopefully it makes a comeback. In the meantime, I might change the merchant file (AGAIN) to make small oxygen bottles sold there instead of "emergency" ones, and make them available on more merchants.

Another thing to add to the list of things to do.

Another thing, it looks like the last patch also pruned and relocated the survival constructor/heater/generator in the tech tree, and then set them back to locked, which is probably why that guy was asking about them last night. Thing is, I don’t know if the points used to unlock them the first time around were refunded or not. Probably not a big issue by the time you hit lvl25, but FYI.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I have updated Active Radar to 0.0.7. Testing will be needed to be done to make sure it works at the proper ranges, now.

I have added 7 new planets (most with moons), including Celes, a new starter planet for those who want to start in a PVP environment.

Other planets include:
Mathera, the Ningues to Celes' Akua.
Bromalis, the gateway between the old and new.
Raptox, the Barren randomness.
Optune, the Desert Oasis.
Viranchi, the Lava giant,
and Aregnu, the Alien stronghold no CV may enter.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Testing of Active Radar 0.0.7 shows that /scan now uses the proper radii, but /scan R is buggier than ever and I don't recommend using the latter unless you like extra meaningless waypoints that you have to delete manually.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have:
1) Adjusted all bonanza deposits to size "15," whereas previously they had all been random between 10 and 20. I think this is why the cobalt nodes were giving 2.5 stacks whereas the sathium and zascosium nodes were giving 13. I'm hoping this averages out to 8 or 9ish. Unfortunately this means I had to do a full wipe on Bonanza again, so the fog of war will be back.

2) Increased the efficiency of all solar panel blocks tenfold.

3) Updated starter equipment to remove the tent and add a Survival Tool.

4) Purchased the domain halforums-empyrion.com, and pointed it at the server's current IP address, and updated our entry on empyrion-servers.com to make us look more legit :D

Last edited:
Since VoteReward mod seems stable, would you like me to update it so that you get a random item(or stack), configurable via yaml?
Or do people seem satisfied with the 6000 credit reward?

Dave

Staff member
6000 is fine, in my opinion. It's a lot for new players, just right for people just getting established, and even has worth to those who are really established. Much more than that and it would be too much.

GasBandit

Staff member
Since VoteReward mod seems stable, would you like me to update it so that you get a random item(or stack), configurable via yaml?
Or do people seem satisfied with the 6000 credit reward?
I think 6000 credits is probably good for now. Of course, if you wanted to update the mod to make it have more options in the voteconfig.yaml or something so that a server admin could change what the reward was, or even set it to random (though that could be problematic if the reward becomes an Admin Core or a Debug Rifle...), I wouldn't say it would be a waste of time.

Will do.
So, I don't think I'd ever want to make it completely random, but rather let an admin put a list of items in the YAML that can be chosen from. That eliminates the debug rifle problem (unless, you know, the admin puts that in the yaml).

Today, I explored embedding LiteDB into the mod, so that we can keep track of how many times a user has claimed a reward.
This would let us do a tiered reward system, so that it would/could look something like this in the yaml:

Rewards:
-Threshhold: 1
--6000 credits
-Threshhold: 10
--10000 credits
--Some pentaxid (1-5)
--Some silicon
--a t2 mining drill
-Threshhold: 20
--15000 credits
--more pentaxid (15-40)
--a t2 multitool
--Some magnesium (99)
--Some crushed stone (99)
-Threshhold: 50
--Lots of pentaxid (500)
--30000 credits
--Magnesium cache (999)
--Crushed stone cache (3x999)
-Threshhold: 20000
--a debug rifle

This is psuedo-code..the yaml would probably contain object ID's, depending on how Empyrion lets me access them. And the "-" would be replaced with spaces, but I don't know a good way to represent that in bbcode.

The "Thresholds" are vote tiers...when a user votes for the 1st time (through the 9th time), they get the "Threshhold: 1" tier. Votes 10-19 get the "Threshhold:10" tier, etc. The code would determine the user's reward tier, and then randomly choose an item from that tier to grant the player.

GasBandit

Staff member
Will do.
So, I don't think I'd ever want to make it completely random, but rather let an admin put a list of items in the YAML that can be chosen from. That eliminates the debug rifle problem (unless, you know, the admin puts that in the yaml).

Today, I explored embedding LiteDB into the mod, so that we can keep track of how many times a user has claimed a reward.
This would let us do a tiered reward system, so that it would/could look something like this in the yaml:

Rewards:
-Threshhold: 1
--6000 credits
-Threshhold: 10
--10000 credits
--Some pentaxid (1-5)
--Some silicon
--a t2 mining drill
-Threshhold: 20
--15000 credits
--more pentaxid (15-40)
--a t2 multitool
--Some magnesium (99)
--Some crushed stone (99)
-Threshhold: 50
--Lots of pentaxid (500)
--30000 credits
--Magnesium cache (999)
--Crushed stone cache (3x999)
-Threshhold: 20000
--a debug rifle

This is psuedo-code..the yaml would probably contain object ID's, depending on how Empyrion lets me access them. And the "-" would be replaced with spaces, but I don't know a good way to represent that in bbcode.

The "Thresholds" are vote tiers...when a user votes for the 1st time (through the 9th time), they get the "Threshhold: 1" tier. Votes 10-19 get the "Threshhold:10" tier, etc. The code would determine the user's reward tier, and then randomly choose an item from that tier to grant the player.
Heh, that looks pretty cool.

GasBandit

Staff member
Back down to 8. Paragon jumped 2 places.
Well, we're back up to 7 now, but it makes sense for Paragon to be above us... they've got tons of users. Lesse how long we can stay ahead of Kautsch (I don't expect long)... but Audaces Ex Nihilo belongs below us! :deadpool:

I just generally want the ability for my backpack to stay the way I left it rather than defragmenting itself whenever I close it (mainly the VB but yeah I know might be hard). Also I want a way to sort my ship device inventory by name so all the spotlights stay together, all the engines stay together, etc.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I just generally want the ability for my backpack to stay the way I left it rather than defragmenting itself whenever I close it (mainly the VB but yeah I know might be hard). Also I want a way to sort my ship device inventory by name so all the spotlights stay together, all the engines stay together, etc.

—Patrick
The VB is just a CSV file for each player, so I don't see it as likely to store empty spaces any time soon.

The Device list, boy I hear ya. You can put them in groups manually, and the order of the devices in the group is merely the order in which they were added to the group.

But, like, hitting Autosort in the device list will put all the lights together, and then you can create a new spotlights group and move the spotlights in there.

Autosort? the help text made me think that would just arbitrarily clump stuff together in premade groups I didn’t get to name, so I’ve never tried it.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Autosort? the help text made me think that would just arbitrarily clump stuff together in premade groups I didn’t get to name, so I’ve never tried it.

—Patrick
That's basically what it does, yes. It puts everything in groups of common names (Ammo, Cargo, Generators, etc). However, once that's done, you can then create more groups and then move devices into your custom named groups. For example, autogroup usually lumps the furnaces in with the constructors in the "Constructor" group, so I usually then create a "Furnace" group and move the furnaces in there, so that I can then assign a "Furnaces" custom switch to turn them all on and off.

Yeah that’s kinda what I expected it to do, which wouldn’t actually be a net time savings when I’m working with such small device lists. Maybe when I start taping out a CV, though.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
What drives me fuckin nuts is when a blueprint author only groups 1 or 2 things they want controlled by a switch. Space Force One has two groups, "External Lights" and "Spotlights." Allllllll the other devices are just in a random mishmash order, including the rest of the lights, so if I hit autogroup, it is gonna break the switches' ability to turn on/off just the external lights, which is something I'd like to retain. After the autogroup, I won't be able to tell from the list which lights are where, external, internal, what room, etc.

That shit has HUNDREDS of RCS devices, and I wanted to be able to turn them all on and off with a switch to save power while parked. So, to do that, I had to go pick allllll the RCS out of the random clump and put them in a group, to be able to assign them a switch.

It would be nice if each device grew an index number, too. I had to trial-and-error which turret I was “driving” on my HV during some patrol hunting, and by the time I figured out which was which I had already lost some of the devices and a few of the steel blocks. I know it puts “<R>” and such on some things, but when you have 4 thrusters facing the same direction, it’s really hard to tell which is which, either to toggle them on/off or to know which one is damaged.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
It would be nice if each device grew an index number, too. I had to trial-and-error which turret I was “driving” on my HV during some patrol hunting, and by the time I figured out which was which I had already lost some of the devices and a few of the steel blocks. I know it puts “<R>” and such on some things, but when you have 4 thrusters facing the same direction, it’s really hard to tell which is which, either to toggle them on/off or to know which one is damaged.

—Patrick
And while we're wishing for QOL changes, I'd also like on-HUD damage reports to pop up at 25%, 50%, 75%, 90% and *destroyed* for devices. So that my first clue that my jump drive has been taking damage is when I decide the battle isn't going well, and hit "K", and the game cheerfully informs me that only works while piloting a ship with a jump drive.

Dave

Staff member
Well the addon is from BEFORE the 7.5 update, so whether or not it'll still work is questionable.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well the addon is from BEFORE the 7.5 update, so whether or not it'll still work is questionable.
I don't think the relevant parts of the game (or the API) have changed since then, and since it sorts by item ID and not actual item name, it *should* still work.

I'll throw it in and it should start working after the nightly reboot.

GasBandit

Staff member
As GBI no longer employs anyone else, and thus words like "harrasment" and "hostile work environment" no longer have meaning, I can just put whatever I want up on the walls. So the furnace room got a new poster.

────────░░░░░░░░░░─────────────────░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
─────────────────▄▄█████▄──────────────░─────░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
────────────────▄█████████────────────────░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────░░░░░▓███▀▀▀▀████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░
───────────────▓███▓░▒▀░█████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░
───────────░░░░▀███▄▒▒░▓▀▒▒░▀▓▒▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▒░
─────────░░░░░░░█████▄█░░░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▄▄░░░░░░░░░▄▒▓▓▓▓▄░░░░░░▀▓░
───────░░░░░░░░░███████░▒▒▒▓▒▒░▒▒▒▒▓▓▄░░░▄▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓█▄▄░░░▒█░
───────░░░░░░░░░░█████░▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓████████▀
──░░░░▄▒▒▒▒▒▓▄░░░▒▓▀▒░▒▒▓██▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓██▒▒▒▒▒▒▓██████▓▓▓
░░▄▒▓█░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▓▓▓▀▀██▒▒▒▓▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▀█▀▀▒▓▓▓▓
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▓▀░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh yeah and I made some more changes to the server, too.

Space Force One moved to TS-Akua for client performance reasons. Still open to the public to inspect.

Solar Capacitors now hold 5000 fuel worth of charge instead of 800, to keep it in line with yesterday's solar panel changes.

Akua now spawns newbies directly at the Newbie Emergency Center public shelter instead of dropping them at random in an escape pod where they're likely to get shot by a POI and quit immediately.

Inventory /sort mod added, but not tested.