Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

figmentPez

Staff member
So, the push to fully reopen schools is a blatant attempt to end the public school system in America, right? There's not some other reason to push this hard for such a bad idea, is there?

There's not some other reason to push this hard for such a bad idea, is there?
I honestly believe it's really a misguided attempt to show everybody, "See? Normal! Everything is back to normal now, and the seriousness of the epidemic was overblown just like we told you it was."

And then they're going to cut power to the ghost containment unit, and all Hell is going to break loose.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Yeah parents are going to be incredibly pissed if schools don't open up, and when that is contrasted with every other country having school because they handled the virus competently, it'll be a wave of anti-trump sentiment. Since they can't do any plan that involves more than a second of foresight, they want to just open up the schools and cross their fingers.

I've already seen a couple of companies requiring "proof of child care" to parents that want to work from home. As in, ether that someone else is there taking care of them, that they are attending school, or that they are otherwise out of the house such as in a daycare. Because they want a total monopoly on your time and attention. I mean... it's bad enough that companies are essentially leasing your home's workspace for free, but now they seem to feel they get to dictate your living situation as well. It's pretty fucked up.

I've already seen a couple of companies requiring "proof of child care" to parents that want to work from home. As in, ether that someone else is there taking care of them, that they are attending school, or that they are otherwise out of the house such as in a daycare. Because they want a total monopoly on your time and attention. I mean... it's bad enough that companies are essentially leasing your home's workspace for free, but now they seem to feel they get to dictate your living situation as well. It's pretty fucked up.
That's so shitty. A third of my current dev team are parents to young children (newborns to teenagers and everything in-between), and you best believe that their children are part of our routines. They work harder because it's OK that they have to drive the 7 year old to the dentist and then drop them off at dance practice. My team lead, who is several times more productive than me, regularly gets interrupted mid-sentence by one of his daughters begging for a tablet, or minecraft time. We crack jokes and carry on, not demand ~childcare arrangements~.

Lord knows I've been spoiled by my career in remote-first jobs, but fucking hell it's not that hard. Caring more about work output, rather than appearances, is best.

My work asked for silly kid and pet pictures and our quarantine fashion. I didn’t share pictures but admitted to only my close team that the Pika pants are on heavy rotation.

I am more of a danger to my husband's prodictivity than our teenage children, because I am needy. Which is why he has a door he can shut in my face. (But he lets the cat in, because the cat has trained him to)

Russia just passed a constitutional amendment denying legal status to same-sex marriages.
Well, it's nice to know that if they don't like an existing law, they have a mechanism for changing said law, and they apparently know how to exercise that right. I just wish they were not using this as an opportunity to be aggressively regressive.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, it's nice to know that if they don't like an existing law, they have a mechanism for changing said law, and they apparently know how to exercise that right. I just wish they were not using this as an opportunity to be aggressively regressive.

--Patrick
Often it is said of foreign entities, such as China, that "don't blame Chinese people for the actions of the Chinese government..." but in this case, this is clearly an instance where the Russian people actively support homophobic policy, and have updated the constitution to reflect their beliefs.

So, I guess that's noteworthy.

Russia just passed a constitutional amendment denying legal status to same-sex marriages.

Heh, over here not enough people showed up for the referendum to count when it came to reword the stuff about marriage in the constitution so it's no longer the rather gender neutral "between spouses".

Yay apathy?!

Obviously I don't want her to die, but at least we know if she does, Mitch wouldn't agree to review a new judge, as this is an election year.

If 10 years ago you would've told me that Tommy Tuberville was gonna be a senator I would've said "Tommy Tuberville? The football coach? He's a senator? Who's the president, Donald Trump?"

I would put this in the funny picture thread if it wasn't fucking real.

posting image below in case it gets deleted
1594784918456.png

But on a 100% serious note, I wish I could tattoo this to idiots who call colleges liberal brainwashing institutions...

1594785313842.png

Last edited:
That reminds me of a dorm game we played once, where the RA would throw out questions/statements, and we would move to either end of the room to signify how strongly we felt about them. One of them was something like "pro wrestling is real" and all of us except for one girl went all the way over to the "no" side of the room, and the look of shocked disbelief on her face was really something.