Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Ah I didn't know it was a thing at the moment. Interestingly, people will accuse it of being a democrat power grab, but it's not even close to certain that Puerto Rico would be a blue state. Probably for as long a trump is in charge, but not long term.
Hispanic voters largely vote Democratic, probably because the Democrats platform isn't "keep those dirty hispanics out except as disposable labor we can underpay".

That's pretty much extortion, so way to play into your reputation, Chicago.

But seriously, this whole case is fucked, and the Chicago PD have a reputation for being poorly trained, with a pervasive cover-up culture, tolerance of racial discrimination and racist behavior, and are ten times more likely to use force on a black suspect than a white one. That's not something I'm saying, those are literally from a 2017 Department of Justice evaluation of the Chicago PD. Let's not forget that a few years ago, Chicago PD was busted for using abandoned buildings as "black sites" to illegally detain and interrogate suspects off the books.

It's pretty interesting that the city dropped all charges when the FBI said it would be looking into the case. A case where the Chicago PD said that two Nigerian men confessed to being hired by Jussie Smollett to stage an attack on him, but other sources say they confessed to being hired by Jussie Smollett as personal trainers.

Well, they may not be able to prosecute on criminal charges but want to force a civil case. *shrug* I'm not sure why they don't just sue, in that case, though. (PS - I know virtually nothing about the people and events of the situation. I constantly have my fingers in my ears and eyes clamped shut.)

There are theories floating around that the Chicago DA is friends with Michelle Obama who told them to drop it. Obviously that sounds ludicrous but even if it's true, you can't charge someone for the work the cops do when they (legally) committed no crime.

There are theories floating around that the Chicago DA is friends with Michelle Obama who told them to drop it. Obviously that sounds ludicrous but even if it's true, you can't charge someone for the work the cops do when they (legally) committed no crime.
Isn't faking a crime a criminal offence?

Hispanic voters largely vote Democratic, probably because the Democrats platform isn't "keep those dirty hispanics out except as disposable labor we can underpay".
Well Puerto Ricans are unlikely to follow exactly the same general demographic rules because they are all US citizens their families are all US citizens so they won't really be moved by the immigration debate. Same way that Cubans are a pretty reliable GOP bloc due to the wet foot dry foot policy.

Course I have no idea who the Puerto Rican living is who votes GOP in their lifetime.

I'd guess that the reason the charges were dropped is because Chicago (its police and government) held press conferences to tell all the USA that he was Guilty Guilty Guilty.

How would he get a fair trial after that?

I'd guess that the reason the charges were dropped is because Chicago (its police and government) held press conferences to tell all the USA that he was Guilty Guilty Guilty.

How would he get a fair trial after that?
That could be it. There's a billion weird things going on with this case that we'll probably never know.

That could be it. There's a billion weird things going on with this case that we'll probably never know.
Someone’s obviously trying to prove some kind of point to someone else, but it’s been going back and forth so much now that I’ve lost track of who I’m supposed to be rooting for.

—Patrick

Alex Jones now claims he thought Sandy Hook was a conspiracy because of a psychosis.

Obviously, this will change nothing for the people who are convinced and remain so.
Can we stop putting so much fluoride in the tap water so people don't suffer from mass psychosis so much?
I would be more inclined to believe him if he wasn't trying to get out of a defamation case. I knew someone with an actual psychosis, who loved Alex Jones, and eventually was shot to death by police because he thought there was a deep state conspiracy against him, leading to him attacking a police officer that he thought was a part of it.

How does one swollen prick elected in Kentucky have so much power over all legislation? Just read about how Congress passed a new Net Neutrality bill but that it's basically empty nothing because it will never even reach the floor of the Senate because, you know, that turtle looking piece of shit doesn't want to.

GasBandit

Staff member
How does one swollen prick elected in Kentucky have so much power over all legislation? Just read about how Congress passed a new Net Neutrality bill but that it's basically empty nothing because it will never even reach the floor of the Senate because, you know, that turtle looking piece of shit doesn't want to.
The representative nature of our legislature is completely and utterly undermined by the "committee" system that is set up to entrench the establishment. No matter who gets elected, the real power is in who is appointed to what committees, and it's one of the reasons why 3rd party candidates feel extra pointless - even if they win, the two "major" parties can exclude them from all the "real" corridors of power.

And, of course, the Senate Majority Leader gets to pick what even gets voted on, and when.

And, of course, the Senate Majority Leader gets to pick what even gets voted on, and when.
But, as i said before, that's just a trick for show, since the majority can easily remove the Senate Majority Leader, if they wish.

So the Senate Majority Leader not bringing something to a vote is just them not wanting that particular vote to be on their record, while everyone just blames the senator from the safest state for that majority's party.

How does one swollen prick elected in Kentucky have so much power over all legislation?
He doesn't, see above!

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm not at all surprised at that. Of course the RCC is blaming society for problems within their church. The leadership believes themselves infallable, and spend their time finding fault in others.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, pedophilia was allowed to grow because of a "lack of god". In the church. A lack of god. Sounds about right.

Good excuses, Pope Sidious.

And Pope Francis isn't telling them to stuff it because...

- He's not that kind of Pope.
- He's afraid of another Reformation, which is basically going to happe ANYWAY because liberal Catholic churchs in the Eastern US, South America and Europe want the anti-LGBTQ shit to stop and the conservative churches in the Central US and Africa want to be able to crack down harder on their communities because they feel like the only moral authority. They aren't the only faith dealing with this issue too.

e's afraid of another Reformation, which is basically going to happe ANYWAY because liberal Catholic churchs in the Eastern US, South America and Europe want the anti-LGBTQ shit to stop
I would've thought it more likely that people just leave religion entirely than having a split in the church.

I would've thought it more likely that people just leave religion entirely than having a split in the church.
This is happening too; young people are aware of and can find a church that reflects their views if they want to practice and many of them simply form their own church groups that are inclusive. I know OSU is crawling with them and they are the freshest, most relatable faithful I've ever met. But many, many more are just not getting involved because they see the church condemning their friends or protecting pedophiles. It's still got a stranglehold on some communities in general, but these communities are becoming smaller and smaller as older members die off.

We haven't had religion in our house at all, and my daughter has potentially become a little too atheist, to the point where she rolls her eyes anytime someone mentions God. I'm more concerned that she's being rude than anything though, especially considering we live in a conservative county. That said, one of her friends once found out that she doesn't go to church, and tried to get her to come to church with her family. She has no interest what so ever. Yet another reason I'm glad I don't leave near my (not at all but likes to pretend they are religious) family.

PSST, HUGE SHOCKING NEWS.

Statistically, Catholic church clergy is just as likely to abuse children as ANYONE in a position of power and access to kids, other denominations, teachers, etc. This does not excuse the Catholic church's reaction, which is awful, but should shed some light that this shit is happening in all y'all's churches and schools.