Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

"may issue"
I didn't get that the may is as in might until i looked at the wiki article...

I kept wondering what the month of May had to do with gun permits...
Post automatically merged:

But why not give up the only way to assert your military hegemony without resorting to periodic brutal military campaigns?

Who controls the military? I don't mean officially, I mean who do the generals actually obey, and/or choose to support? That's who's really "in charge" for now.
Depends. When Mattis was Secretary of Defense, I'd have said him, unquestioningly. He'd paid his dues and was beloved by the armed forces. Now? Who knows?

@AshburnerX I quoted the Venezuela story man. I meant there. And I do mean in the "chain of command" idea here too, in that if one or the other of the two people involved have loyalty of the military, even if through a 3rd-party, like if the head of the military is one of the guy's brothers (or something) then that counts.

For reference, remember that it was basically the Military either staying out of it or getting into it that has determined what's been happening with Egypt since 2011. They LET Mubarek get taken out of power. And when the Muslim Brotherhood was going to take over the "elected" government, they stepped in. So it's fairly typical for many places in the world for the military to be the "Kingmaker".

This cycle was the first time I bothered to vote in non-presidential primaries and I was stunned that there were actually two separate dates. More stunned that we were literally the only state in the country. Thank god we have democrats in both chambers of the assembly now so we can be a civilized state.

Cynthia Nixon scared him. Now he's adopting a lot of what she was proposing. Good.
It's more because the democrats actually have an majority in the state senate. For a long while we had the "independent democratic caucus" who would run as democrats in primaries in super democrat districts but once they got to office, they went with the republicans in exchange for better committee seats.

They held back progress in the state for a while, but this cycle only one of them won their primary and now we have a supermajority of democrats. They can actually override a cuomo veto but he's not dumb enough to give them the chance.

I'm not sure how this can stand? If another state legally recognizes someone as something, Utah really doesn't have any option but follow suit. Like, this sounds like Maryland or whatever is just going to be like "We recognize you as X" and Utah's not going to have the means to refuse that recognition. It's not like they can license someone to be a certain gender.

All anyone's going to have to do is cross state lines to be recognized.

I'm not sure how this can stand? If another state legally recognizes someone as something, Utah really doesn't have any option but follow suit. Like, this sounds like Maryland or whatever is just going to be like "We recognize you as X" and Utah's not going to have the means to refuse that recognition. It's not like they can license someone to be a certain gender.

All anyone's going to have to do is cross state lines to be recognized.
What does any of that have to do with Utah's procedures for changing Utahn birth certificates? No matter where you move to, AFAIK your BC remains "anchored" in the place that issued it to you (e.g. mine is a page in Spanish logbook, even if I become a U.S. citizen).

If Utah and/or other states rely on a BC to determine gender, and Utah prevents Utah-born citizens from changing their BC...

What does any of that have to do with Utah's procedures for changing Utahn birth certificates? No matter where you move to, AFAIK your BC remains "anchored" in the place that issued it to you (e.g. mine is a page in Spanish logbook, even if I become a U.S. citizen).

If Utah and/or other states rely on a BC to determine gender, and Utah prevents Utah-born citizens from changing their BC...
That's a good point. I'm wondering if the Federal Government could force the issue on their end, as they are perfectly willing to change it on your passport. I mean... a Republican controlled one WOULDN'T, but COULD it?

That's a good point. I'm wondering if the Federal Government could force the issue on their end, as they are perfectly willing to change it on your passport. I mean... a Republican controlled one WOULDN'T, but COULD it?
A better question is whether or not it should. The 10th Amendment is still a thing, despite all arguments to the contrary.

They left out the definition of “male:”
an individual with testes who is confirmed before or at birth to have external anatomical characteristics that appear to have the purpose of performing the natural reproductive function of providing and delivering sperm to a female recipient.
1) No word on what external characteristics would have the purpose of delivering sperm to a male recipient.
2) Nothing about what to do in cases where there’s doubt. I mean, there’s plenty of precedent.

EDIT: Thanks, @Denbrought I didn’t have the ability to delve here at work.

—Patrick

Last edited:
2) Nothing about what to do in cases where there’s doubt. I mean, there’s plenty of precedent.
HB 153 would require birth certificates to be completed as fully as possible and include:
  • the date, time, and place of birth;
  • each parent’s name and address;
  • the name of the child;
  • the sex of the child as male or female or, if the sex cannot be factually determined at birth, undetermined;
  • other related information as required by the state registrar; and
  • the name and signature of the individual who completes the certificate.

Yeah, those definitions mean a *lot* of "undetermined"s. Which would mean a de facto recognition that some people aren't clearly, biologically one or the other. Which would open the door to recognizing a third gender. Which would....I mean, this law is clearly meant for evil, but the phrasing is so bad it could actually lead to good, given the right judges.

#Bernie2020 is trending on Twitter right now and the fact that he hasn't even announced if he's running makes me suspicious after how poorly yesterday went for Trump.

#Bernie2020 is trending on Twitter right now and the fact that he hasn't even announced if he's running makes me suspicious after how poorly yesterday went for Trump.
I keep seeing articles with "sources say he is going to announce soon because polling looks good," but I really don't know what those sources are.