Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I still want him out regardless of what they knew and how many of them feel the same but don't say it. Some days I feel like if Trump went on camera and said the n word then suddenly everyone would be like "that's a good thing!" Deciding King crossed a line gives me the tiniest speck of hope that won't be.

You don't remember them starting to spin that when it looked like there was about to be a leaked apprentice tape of that?
They were prepping, but I think the backlash of its existence would've been bigger than they expected. But it never materialized so we'll never know. At this point it's more likely for Trump to do another oval office, this time fondling himself, than to hear him say that word.

Dave

Staff member
You give WAAAAAY too much credit to the GOP and their ilk. If Trump dropped an N-bomb you can bet there'd be an uproar. They'd gnash their teeth and post condemnations, all while backing him and voting in lockstep. I mean, grabbing them by the pussy was bad but they were just women. The N-bomb is bad but they are just African Americans.

I've been thinking, and there's literally nothing he can do to piss off his base at this point. He's attacked football, he's attacked the military, and he's attacked law enforcement. These are three things conservatives tend to love and support 100%.

I mean, maybe if he tried to make gun ownership illegal that would cause his base to abandon him. But at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they just handed the guns over using some weird false logic (he must be collecting the guns so liberals, gays, and brown people don't get them!).

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, maybe if he tried to make gun ownership illegal that would cause his base to abandon him. But at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they just handed the guns over using some weird false logic (he must be collecting the guns so liberals, gays, and brown people don't get them!).
Kind of a bizarro-world "Only Nixon could go to China" type situation.

I've been thinking, and there's literally nothing he can do to piss off his base at this point. He's attacked football, he's attacked the military, and he's attacked law enforcement. These are three things conservatives tend to love and support 100%..
It's because it was never about the issues. For the rich supporters it's all about being able to amass more wealth, and for the poor supporters it's all about "sticking it to the libtards." Much of it is tribalism at it's most raw, and it feels like it's getting worst all over the world.

I've been thinking, and there's literally nothing he can do to piss off his base at this point. He's attacked football, he's attacked the military, and he's attacked law enforcement. These are three things conservatives tend to love and support 100%.

He literally talked about taking guns without due process.

Dave

Staff member
Trump's government would never still contractors. I mean, he's known for paying people what they are owed, right?

For us, it's ...
The government can't do all its work.
Contracts are established with companies.
Those companies hire employees to do that work.
There's where we come in. So even if it included contractors, the degree of separation I thought would protect us would be what throws us in a garbage can.

But contractors of all kinds get nothing, as well as all the Ubers, Lyfts, cabs, restaurants, and other stores who've lost business in the DC, Maryland, Virginia area over this since all their usual clientele haven't been paid in a month.

tenor (4).gif

Dave

Staff member
He was referencing the fact that the guy had just come back from Puerto Rico on a trip. I don't think it has anything to do with misunderstanding geography.

Dave

Staff member
1) This is in retaliation for the State of the Union.
2) I agree with the White House that these trips should be postponed unless they are vital to national security, which in this case I doubt.

I agree also, but the letter was only professional to Trump standards and I'm guessing Sanders transcribed it from crayon to text.

Trump is putting it as "I want the wall, you want the shutdown ended, let's trade" when both sides are supposed to want the shutdown to end.

Wait, shit, never mind!

Pelosi cannot fly to Afghanistan commercial from what Julie's telling me.
BUT BIGGER THAN THAT
The plane was supposed to stop in Brussels for pilot relief, where Pelosi would meet with NATO personnel to affirm the U.S.'s commitment to NATO. Trump isn't smart enough to plan a disruption to that, but I'm sure it's no accident by whoever whispered in his ear.

Mitch McConnell blocked the bill to restart government for the third time. You government folk might have to actually kill him to ever get a paycheck again.

Is there a procedure by which they can get past McConnell or does he essentially get to overcome any semblance of checks and balances with zero ability to stop him?
I believe they need 60 votes (14 republicans + all dems) to bring a bill to a vote without McConnell. Having that happen would make McConnell look so bad that we can be reasonably certain he'd bring it up for a vote himself if he felt they had the votes for it.

Technically, I think that McConnell blocking a vote is just the power of tradition, and he could be overridden and a vote could take place. It's just a question of if enough Senators are willing.

I believe they need 60 votes (14 republicans + all dems) to bring a bill to a vote without McConnell. Having that happen would make McConnell look so bad that we can be reasonably certain he'd bring it up for a vote himself if he felt they had the votes for it.
I shouldn't get my hopes up, but if they could sway a couple Republicans, maybe those Republicans could sway others.