Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I also think Beto would be a smart choice for 2020. And much as no one feels like discussing the 2020 election just yet, it's a necessary evil when up against such substantive evil as what's happening right now.

Conservatives will tag him for being inexperienced
I was going to make a comment here about how much experience Trump has, but then I remembered the typical Republican (or any politician for that matter) response to hypocrisy "It's fine when WE do it".

GasBandit

Staff member
Conservatives will tag him for being inexperienced and for his past in a rock band. They'll paint him as some sort of crazy anarchist with no morality and not old enough to worry about "real America." Liberals, especially ones under 35, will complain about him being a straight white Christian male.

It would be a tough road to victory.
They did exactly all that in Texas and he still got 48.3%. I mean, I'm not in his corner, but he's a genuine contender if he can do that.

I was going to make a comment here about how much experience Trump has, but then I remembered the typical Republican (or any politician for that matter) response to hypocrisy "It's fine when WE do it".
Absolutely not disagreeing with you or excusing the behavior, but I think it's worth noting that "It's ok when we do it" is a problem across politics in general.

I feel like Cruz is even less-liked than trump.

Though honestly I'm pretty optimistic about 2020, pretty much regardless of candidate (Hillary isn't going to run). People act like 2016 was a massive rout, but it was an incredibly tight margin. I truly believe that a lot of Dems stayed home because they actually thought trump had no chance. No one can or will say that in 2020. Not to mention, while people have always said "if the youth shows up it'll be a massive difference," 2018 is the first time it actually happened.

Of course if the republicans rig it like they're trying, none of that will matter, but let's not dwell on that at the moment.

I feel like Cruz is even less-liked than trump.

Though honestly I'm pretty optimistic about 2020, pretty much regardless of candidate (Hillary isn't going to run). People act like 2016 was a massive rout, but it was an incredibly tight margin. I truly believe that a lot of Dems stayed home because they actually thought trump had no chance. No one can or will say that in 2020. Not to mention, while people have always said "if the youth shows up it'll be a massive difference," 2018 is the first time it actually happened.

Of course if the republicans rig it like they're trying, none of that will matter, but let's not dwell on that at the moment.
So I shouldn't say that Florida is just going to ruin it for us anyways?

And? It doesn't have to be a woman or minority. If he's the best chance he's the best chance.
Tress already replied for me: for a lot of the young millennial liberal crowd, "yet another straight white guy" just won't be the symbol they'll rally around.

As for Warren, on one hand I really do like her, but on the other hand, she'll be *80* in 2020. She would've made a better candidate than Hillary in 16, but I'm not sure she'll still be able to do much in 20.

Tress already replied for me: for a lot of the young millennial liberal crowd, "yet another straight white guy" just won't be the symbol they'll rally around.

As for Warren, on one hand I really do like her, but on the other hand, she'll be *80* in 2020. She would've made a better candidate than Hillary in 16, but I'm not sure she'll still be able to do much in 20.
While we'd prefer something a bit more diverse, background-wise, even hearing someone profess millennial issues would be an enormous change for us politically. He starts talking debt forgiveness for student loans? Expanded Medicaid for low-income people? Doing something about gerrymandering and the alt-right? He'd get the support, because it's stuff no one else is even approaching right now.

There are legitimate complaints one could make about Warren, but she'll be 71 in 2020. That's old, but it's a far cry from 80.

There are legitimate complaints one could make about Warren, but she'll be 71 in 2020. That's old, but it's a far cry from 80.
Huh. I read an article about 78-year-old Warren today. I did wonder about that because I thought she was younger than Bernie, but assumed I miss-remembered. Guess I got it right and the writer of that article goofed.
71 isn't great, but it isn't 80.

Finding actual, reliable hard numbers is way harder than I thought. I can't find the article I read, so I decided to look for the numbers. Well, that was a fucking ordeal. Every source has different numbers saying slightly different things.

But what I could tell is that, according to the CBO, $100 billion was spent in 2017 financing student loans. With approximately 25 million people age 18-24 in the US, that equals about $4000 each. Public in-state tuition and fees average out to about $10,000 a year. So no, tuiton for all is NOT cheaper than we already spent on student loans, based on the numbers I could find. I was mistaken. It's a large chunk, though, and it seems like $250 billion a year to avoid trapping students in long-term loan debt would be a good investment.

So I have to admit that, given what I can find, I was wrong.

So in a show of gamesmanship, Flake is refusing to do anything with judiciary until that bill is brought up for a vote. Which he knows a.) probably won't pass because the GOP will see it as a trap, and b.) he won't have to deal with any of the fall out - other than saying "I supported Mueller" when he runs for something else (like Ducey's seat in four years, perhaps).
Sadly, not unpredictable:
Jeff Flake caves again — withdrawing his ‘no’ vote on controversial judge so Pence could break the tie
when Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) was unable to vote, though he would have been a “yes” vote. Flake’s “no” vote would have prevented Kobes from being confirmed. Instead, Flake withdrew his “no” vote so that the vote would be 49 to 49 and Pence would have to cast the tie-breaking vote.

GasBandit

Staff member
I used to consider myself a Heinlein fan (mostly for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and somewhat less by Stranger in a Strange Land and Time Enough for Love), but man... I couldn't even get two chapters through Friday.

He just got to be a dirty, dirty old man in his later years.

My very first exposure to Heinlein was I Will Fear No Evil, so everything else of his has seemed almost normal by comparison.

—Patrick

See, that's one of the advantages of being in the early waves of a genre making it big. You could right almost any crazy-ass shit and people would go, "Wow, that's amazing," because there was no basis of comparison.

I still, to this day, look for old Piers Anthony XANTH books from the late 70's/Early 80's. Not because I -like- them, but because it is the weirdest fetish shit I have ever seen and I can't believe it got published. It's... amazing how far he's willing to go with his perverseness. The entire CONCEPT of A Spell for Cameleon (the first Xanth book) isn't just offensive, but completely fucked up.

People say things were bad with fantasy because of all the YA Harry Potter wannabies, but it's got NOTHING on the 70's/80's scene.