Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

That's what you get for listening to nutcases. Aren't your ears bleeding?

Besides, I'm fairly convinced that romneys blatant and easily discredited lying about the Chinese jeeps in Ohio hurt him there more than it helped.

Who's going to trust a liar that's being called out in every news program?
The problem is, the nutcases are the only vocal group Romney had.

Fox News/Rush/Hannity/Levin/Laura/O'Reily are the only things that really get heard from a GoP standpoint for everyonelse. So it's hard not to assume that's how the majority of all Republicans think/feel.

Sidenote: My wife has put a one week ban on all political radio/TV while she's home after yesterday's marathon I had. :rofl:

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, I should also clarify that just because someone didn't vote for Obama doesn't make them not a leech. But there have been more takers than makers for a long time before this, or even the previous, presidential election.

He skimmed without reading to the end. If you just read the middle without context, it looks like a preposterous attack.
The entire thing was trash. There was no secret context/meaning behind it all.

Apparently I have to spell it out:

Perhaps Obama felt emotionally overpowered by what awaits him even before he finishes his first term. The country is careering toward the "fiscal cliff," which really is the wrong term. It's more a fiscal suicide (fiscacide?) if the government irresponsibly pushes the country into a self-inflicted recession, complete with a renewed rise in unemployment. Without an agreement with Republicans, Americans, including Obama supporters weeping with him in that room, will face higher taxes and across-the-board spending cuts.
Wrong. It is an issue, but having nothing to do with his emotional state at the time. Nice touch adding that MAYBE the people in the room would take a tax cut.

There's more to get choked up about on the fiscal front. Even with an agreement, Obama will preside over higher taxes and spending cuts in months and years to come.
Yeah, because that's what the video was about. Crying over fiscal issues.

Maybe thoughts about the economy brought to mind the crisis in Europe, America's economic, political and diplomatic soul mate, where a fiscal crisis will not relent; where protesters continue taking to the streets in Greece, Spain and elsewhere, and where European Central Bank chief Mario Draghi just said there are few signs of recovery and there is not much more the bank can do to help Greece. A European unraveling would be terrible news for America.
Does she even realize what this video was about? If she wanted to write an opinion piece, why include it at all?

But that's probably not what made him cry. Maybe he was thinking about other matter beyond U.S. shores, considering what awaits the people of Afghanistan, particularly the women there, when U.S. forces leave. Maybe he was thinking about what to do in Syria, where the killing continues unabated and refugees are fleeing by the thousands.
Yes bring up women, like it had anything to do with the military issue you're bringing up. But wait, you want it took seem like Obama doesn't care about women! I forgot, my bad!

Or was he thinking about the intensifying confrontation with Iran? Just last week, Iranian fighter jets fired on an unarmed U.S drone flying over the Persian Gulf. On Monday, the head of the U.N.'s nuclear agency said Iran is not cooperating with an investigation on possible nuclear weapons work, after the agency reported "credible evidence" of Iran's efforts to build a "nuclear explosive device."
Oh let's throw out that -Four years closer to a Nuclear Iran!- I thought they had forgotten about that, it's been what... a whole week since it was last brought up as an attack on the presidency?

EDIT: Do I REALLY need to go on, there's about 4-5 more paragraphs of retarded attacks that have NOTHING to do with this video. It's an attack opinion column (which is fine if that's what you want to get out there) but attaching it to a video that has no context with it? Yeah it's trash.

The entire thing was trash. There was no secret context/meaning behind it all.
The Article said:
Obama learned to keep calm; to conceal his emotions. But four years in the White House, months of presidential campaigning, the final stretch of competing in an election whose outcome was in doubt until the very end, it takes its toll. It caused a small shift in that thick earthen dam, a tiny leak. And that's where the emotions trickled out. That's where the sense of gratitude, the sense of history, the stress over what he has faced over half a decade -- as president and as a candidate the first time around -- finally broke through. And what we saw, after all that, was a brief, if startling display of presidential emotion.

It was a rare display, but now Obama may not find it possible to completely rebuild that fractured dam. I expect the next four years we will see a more emotive president. Now the secret of Obama's emotions may not remain hidden in the safety of the East Wing, where only his family can see it.
Obama's re-election allows him to show his human side with less trepidation. Decades of self-control won't fade away. But the president has shown himself and the majority of voters said they liked what they saw.

Obama will remain cool, but he will allow himself to become less emotionally detached. After all, even Mr. Spock cried sometimes.

It wasn't an attack article. All of the things listed are attacks that others have opined as being the 'hidden meaning', which the author addresses with those paragraphs and then dismisses as being false.

It wasn't an attack article. All of the things listed are attacks that others have opined as being the 'hidden meaning', which the author addresses with those paragraphs and then dismisses as being false.
No, this is how she transitions it:
But no, I believe it was something else.
I think Obama cried because he was exhausted, physically and emotionally, and that exhaustion broke through the emotional barriers he has built since he was a child.
And that is not -dismissing the previous paragraphs as being false- as she continues with:

It was a rare display, but now Obama may not find it possible to completely rebuild that fractured dam. I expect the next four years we will see a more emotive president. Now the secret of Obama's emotions may not remain hidden in the safety of the East Wing, where only his family can see it.
Why can't it simply be about being grateful for the work these young people did, that he felt was in some part due to the struggles and work he did in all his time fighting toward the presidency? You know, like the actual purpose of the video?

Obama's re-election allows him to show his human side with less trepidation. Decades of self-control won't fade away. But the president has shown himself and the majority of voters said they liked what they saw.
Obama II will remain cool, but he will allow himself to become less emotionally detached. After all, even Mr. Spock cried sometimes.
Oh no, that's right, because he always was a stone faced person who didn't show emotion. Oh except for:

president-obama-laughing.jpg

Obama-Laughing-9-5-11.jpeg

obama-laughing1.jpg

Oh no, but that's right, he's Mr. Spock. Emotionless and calculated. This crying was because he was pent up from hiding all emotion for years. Give me a break.

I guess we just disagree in the overall tone of the piece. Half full vs half empty and all that. It could also be a product of me having insomnia and not being completely conscious during this.

I guess we just disagree in the overall tone of the piece. Half full vs half empty and all that. It could also be a product of me having insomnia and not being completely conscious during this.
Honestly? I'm half-asleep as hell myself, kind of cranky and pretty tired, I could just as easily be wrong.

It's not going to happen people, so give it up. And stop whining because the guy you voted for lost.

Secession petitions filed in 20 states
By Mike Krumboltz

In the wake of last week's presidential election, thousands of Americans have signed petitions seeking permission for their states to peacefully secede from the United States. The petitions were filed on We the People, a government website.

States with citizens filing include Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. Oddly, folks from Georgia have filed twice. Even stranger, several of the petitions come from states that went for President Barack Obama.

The petitions are short and to the point. For example, a petition from the Volunteer State reads: "Peacefully grant the State of Tennessee to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government." Of all the petitions, Texas has the most signatures so far, with more than 23,000.

Of course, this is mostly a symbolic gesture. The odds of the American government granting any state permission to go its own way are on par with winning the lottery while getting hit by a meteor while seeing Bigfoot while finding gluten-free pizza that tastes like the real thing.

An article from WKRC quotes a University of Louisville political science professor who explained that these petitions aren't uncommon. Similar petitions were filed following the 2004 and 2008 elections. Still, should the petitions garner 25,000 signatures in a month, they will require an official response from the Obama administration.

From the We the People site:
The right to petition your government is guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution. We the People provides a new way to petition the Obama Administration to take action on a range of important issues facing our country. We created We the People because we want to hear from you. If a petition gets enough support, White House staff will review it, ensure it's sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response.​
The original article can be found here.

They can petition for secession all they want. If they try to act on it, then they can expect to face the full, brunt force of American combined arms.

That reminds me, it might be time to buy a new gun.

As stated, it's not uncommon. I'd love, however, for one of the states to get the 25k signatures and get an official response from the administration, just to see what the response is.
25 thousand vs hundreds of thousands? I doubt there will be a response.

GasBandit

Staff member
Although one of the conditions of Texas's admission to the union was that it could secede any time it wanted to if it changed its mind, that was undone by the civil war and the reconstruction, as upheld by the supreme court. Sorry babies, it's not gonna happen. You'll just have to wait for the federal government to collapse under its own weight like the rest of us.

Even stranger, several of the petitions come from states that went for President Barack Obama.
Because if a state went for a particular candidate that means they recieved 100% of the vote of course. :rolleyes:

The largest petition referenced in the article is from Texas has 23,000 signatures. The population of Texas is over 25,000,000 (25,674,681 to be exact). Why is this news?

The largest petition referenced in the article is from Texas has 23,000 signatures. The population of Texas is over 25,000,000 (25,674,681 to be exact). Why is this news?
Because:

A) A few thousand more and it has to get an official response,
and
B) it's funny.