Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

figmentPez

Staff member
They must have deleted that Tweet. I can’t see it.

Florida county’s school policy critics say “essentially targets LGBTQ+ kids”

"what drew the most debate was a provision that a school will notify parents — by form — if a student who is 'open about their gender identity' is in a physical education class or on an overnight trip."

There seems to be some debate if the school board in question was trying to protect student's privacy in light of Florida's new state-wide laws, or if they're openly saying that they're going to out children if they don't stay deep in the closet.

That's good to know.
Here’s the thing: I randomly stumbled on that Politifact article looking for more info on this because of what you said. DeSantis is such an evil caricature of a human being that I fully believed what you had heard, and it did not surprise me one bit. I’m frankly SHOCKED that he isn’t actually forcing people to register their political views, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns into that in the future.

Considering what was written on them, probably the SCOTUS. They're blowing up everything else lately. The message was pretty anti-right wing.

Did ya watch the video linked by Pat? It implies an anti-miscegenation perspective.
No, I just glanced at the article that listed what was written on them. When it said " Guide reproduction wisely - improving fitness and diversity", I assumed (in my naivete) it was referring to birth control/not unwanted babies. It mentions improving diversity, so I didn't read it an anti-miscegenation. Oh well, so much for my hopeful misreading.

This. Please.
Even if you just start something and go into November with, "Look at all of this stuff we have lined up except for these few GOP holdouts--if you could just replace them we could move forward with all of it." Give us something to work towards. Show us you have actual concern for your own country's future. DO something.

--Patrick

Ok as funny as it is, this was obviously a sentence structure issue. The "them" following shooting was implying someone threatening her grandchildren, and not the grandchildren themselves, otherwise the following sentence of "protect the lives of my grandchildren" wouldn't work. She should have used a more specific descriptor, like thugs, or criminals, etc, so it didn't sound like she was implying she would shoot her own grandkids.

Ok as funny as it is, this was obviously a sentence structure issue. The "them" following shooting was implying someone threatening her grandchildren, and not the grandchildren themselves, otherwise the following sentence of "protect the lives of my grandchildren" wouldn't work. She should have used a more specific descriptor, like thugs, or criminals, etc, so it didn't sound like she was implying she would shoot her own grandkids.
Personally, I realized that when I saw the post, but my comment is what I thought of her either way. I'm not sure I'd want to leave my kid with someone that thinks any kind of gun control is "zealotry".

figmentPez

Staff member
Yes, it was clearly a gaff, but it's also a really fucking incompetent mistake. This was a speech that was written beforehand, and should have been practiced. Someone should have noticed that sentence was a minefield, and rewritten it long before she was speaking in front of the public. She should be voted out, not because she said she'd shoot her grandchildren, but because she's fucking incompetent at her job.

@jwhouk
"Close" here meaning a distance of 8ft/2.5m or less.

As one person put it in the reddit thread:
All a police officer has to do is move closer to you to make what you are doing magically transform from legal to illegal, empowering them to stop you and arrest you.

edit: No, there isn't a loophole here. If the officer approaches you and orders you to stop, you don't automatically get to claim you are the subject of questioning and thus keep recording. The law empowers an officer to order you to stop, and non-compliance will allow them to subsequently arrest you. You stop, or you be stopped.
--Patrick

But if she didn't mean her grandchildren, I don't understand how she can use "them" to refer to a single person of nonspecified gender. I was told that was impossible.