Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

*shocked, not shocked*

Jesus, fucking this. Be nice if any of these assholes faced consequences for their bullshit.
I think we have to just get used to the fact that none of these jokers are going to be held accountable.

It's like the police, even the good ones defend the corrupt ones because they feel opening the flood gates of accountability will someday lead to them, too, being held accountable for some shit they do. Most of these Politicians on either side just don't want to be the one to pull the trigger on that, and so they endlessly say worthless platitudes and just wait for it to leave the news cycle, and hope the problem instead disappears the next election cycle. Those few that might actually risk it don't have the power to actually do it.

We ain't getting out of this without a drastic refresh on how our checks and balances work. Maybe we need like, "the people's veto" where, should a Senator or Representative turn out to be a shit heap, the nation at large can "vote him out" regardless of whatever his constituents back home think. They don't lose a Representative, but we should have the chance to just be like, "Dude, choose better." and push a new election on it, even if the process to get it started is hard, like requiring signatures or some shit.

I admit though, part of that might just be me feeling absolutely trapped with Ted Cruz and dying for some way to get rid of him. I know my state isn't going to do it for the next decade or so, if at all, and I am really tired of the dude.

I know it's mainly because of how terrible my current mental health is but really, we're a mistake, as a species.
This law no doubt unironically brought to you by the same people who said, "Force me to wear a mask? Why not force me to wear a yellow star while you're at it!"

--Patrick

Last edited:
The world feels like a parody sometimes.

Watched a video of a cop pulling out his gun in a moving cop car, pointing it at a bunch bikers while they were all driving down the highway. I decided I wanted extra context.

PD : "You don't get the whole context of what happened based on the viral video. You would have to see our video of the event to understand."

People "Can we see the video?"

PD : "Well no, you just going to have to trust us that the officer was totally justified."

These last few years I feel like I have fallen into a dark comedy that sometimes forgets to be funny because satire as a concept was murdered long ago.

These last few years I feel like I have fallen into a dark comedy that sometimes forgets to be funny because satire as a concept was murdered long ago.
“Creator. A comedian whose audience is afraid to laugh.” - H.L. Mencken, 1916

So relax, the world has always been a dark comedy, you just haven't noticed before.

Dave

Staff member
Expect Roe v. Wade to be overturned or watered down so much that the effect is no difference.

I blame the DNC as much as backwards-ass republicans for sliding backwards instead of driving us forward.

Expect Roe v. Wade to be overturned or watered down so much that the effect is no difference.
Yeah, the wife and I are both watching Dobbs with interest.
That's pretty stupid.
Much as I hate to say it, the fact that one side is literally willing to KILL members of the other side in order to ensure a victory DOES give them an effective advantage.

—Patrick

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
That's pretty stupid.
Why? In 2015 & 2016 the DNC did everything they could to put Clinton in the front. Hillary Clinton, the candidate more despised than any I've seen in recent memory. Her good friend (and former campaign chair) Debbie Wasserman Schultz, did everything in her power to make Clinton the nominee. Additionally, they all but ignored what they considered to be "safe" democratic areas instead of showing that they represent them. Add in the "superdelegates" that all went Clinton before any of the primaries happened and what you get is a Trump presidency and two lost Supreme Court seats.

So yeah, I blame the DNC just as much as the republicans.

Not to completely relitigate the 2016 primary again, but Hillary won enough votes from regular ballots that every superdelegate could've voted Bernie and it wouldn't have mattered. Not to mention, she had all the superdelegates lined up in 2008 before the campaign as well.

Regardless, when a murder happens, im inclined to put most of the blame the murderer, not the person who was dumb and tripped over his feet trying to tackle the guy before he could do it.

Dave

Staff member
Not to completely relitigate the 2016 primary again, but Hillary won enough votes from regular ballots that every superdelegate could've voted Bernie and it wouldn't have mattered. Not to mention, she had all the superdelegates lined up in 2008 before the campaign as well.

Regardless, when a murder happens, im inclined to put most of the blame the murderer, not the person who was dumb and tripped over his feet trying to tackle the guy before he could do it.
I think it's perfectly legitimate to blame the tone-deaf and under-handed actions of the DNC for Trump. Were it not for them, he would not have won.

I think it's perfectly legitimate to blame the tone-deaf and under-handed actions of the DNC for Trump. Were it not for them, he would not have won.
I'd like to point out that we already know Russia was in play in 2016 as well. I don't think Hilary was nearly as hated as Bernie Bros like to believe, she still won the popular vote by a fairly large amount.

I don't know if things are back to normal, the right is riling up their base pretty well, and throwing out any of their politicians who want to go back to Pre-Trump times. I'm honestly really concerned about the shit they can still pull. They are already rampaging with even worse voter suppression, and trans suppression in the states they control, and they are going to pick up more House Seats because of the census next election.

I don't know if things are back to normal, the right is riling up their base pretty well, and throwing out any of their politicians who want to go back to Pre-Trump times. I'm honestly really concerned about the shit they can still pull. They are already rampaging with even worse voter suppression, and trans suppression in the states they control, and they are going to pick up more House Seats because of the census next election.
Heh, sorry. I forgot I don't have the "Snark master" tag on Halforums. :) I agree, they are shitting on our democracy by attacking it at the local level and oppressing people there, then they will work to do it on the national level when idiots let them be in charge again.

We need to stop wasting our time on attacking each other and oppose these horrible people is basically what i was getting at. We are only here because we slept on this as it was happening for the last 40 years.

Yeah, the wife and I are both watching Dobbs with interest.
Ok so we're also now watching TX (again):
The Governor Of Texas Has Signed A Law That Bans Abortion As Early As 6 Weeks
The bill, which takes effect in September, makes no exception for pregnancies that are the result of rape or incest but does include a rare provision that allows individual citizens to sue anyone they believe may have been involved in helping a pregnant individual violate the ban.
Something this article doesn't mention (or if it does, I couldn't find it) but others do is that the wording of the law appears to make no restrictions on who can bring suit. They don't even have to prove standing. Literally ANYONE can bring suit. They don't even have to be a resident of TX!

--Patrick

Right before this he also signed an EO making it so government agencies, like schools, are not allowed to have mask mandates. Why?

"Texans should have to liberty to make their own health decisions."

Immediately signs anti-abortion law.

You can't make this shit up anymore.

I was talking with someone about the mask EO and they were defending it,

"It should be my choice"

"Okay sure, you know what, tomorrow I am going to go out to the park without pants. Just free to the world."

"What the hell? Why would you do that?"

"It should be my choice to wear pants, why is the government telling me what I can wear on public property?"

"That's not the same."

"Oh? Why?"

"People will have to look at you when they don't want to, you are harming people by doing that."

"You mean we should wear cloth when it helps protect other people? I wonder what other examples of that we can find?"

".... fuck you."

@Shawn will understand when I say "Weld fucking County."

(My son went to this high school, and the valedictorian speech last year was about equality and participating in BLM, so I don't think this is representative of the kids in the school, but I'm also not surprised at the same time.)

@Shawn will understand when I say "Weld fucking County."

(My son went to this high school, and the valedictorian speech last year was about equality and participating in BLM, so I don't think this is representative of the kids in the school, but I'm also not surprised at the same time.)
I was telling my mom (who still lives in Fort Lupton) that Weld County is basically a little Texas. She agreed and added "or maybe a little Alabama".

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok so we're also now watching TX (again):
The Governor Of Texas Has Signed A Law That Bans Abortion As Early As 6 Weeks

Something this article doesn't mention (or if it does, I couldn't find it) but others do is that the wording of the law appears to make no restrictions on who can bring suit. They don't even have to prove standing. Literally ANYONE can bring suit. They don't even have to be a resident of TX!

--Patrick

Oh, I saw.

If the law takes full effect, I'm also waiting for the Satanic Temple (or someone else who wants to make a point) to sue the Texas legislature for materially enabling abortions by not doing MORE to prevent them, the same way people get sued for not doing enough to keep the neighborhood kids out of their pool.

--Patrick