Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh, and you want a solution? We impeach Dolt45, and add human rights violations to the list of charges. We admit that the United States is committing grave crimes against humanity, and invite in non-profit humanitarian organizations to take over control of the prison system (ideally not just the prisons housing immigrants, but all prisons across the country, but that's probably over-reaching). I'm not sure what organization(s) would be best suited for this; the U.N. maybe, in conjunction with with other groups?

We start fining big businesses for employing undocumented workers, but that alone would crash the economy. This country would grind to a stand-still if businesses couldn't continue to employ all the undocumented workers already in the country and doing jobs. That's the hard part. What do we do about the people who "bypassed" the immigration system, when they were actually the ones being exploited by the system. We cannot afford to pretend that these people "cheated" their way into the country, when the system that allowed them to do so was created with the financial interests of US businesses in mind. "But it's not fair to give them amnesty!" Yeah, the system isn't fair, and those that deserve punishment are not those who have been exploited by it.

There is no easy solution, because it's a manufactured problem. The system has been set up and rigged with a bomb. Businesses that benefit from undocumented workers have rigged it this way. "If we go down, we're taking you all with us."

3. You're still ignoring that this is a manufactured problem. This situation was created, on purpose, to sow FUD and get fearful people to support the Republican party (and also to make money off of the for-profit prisons). This problem was made to happen. You're advocating paying more money into a protection racket.
Yes, manufactured by the democrats! They're the ones denying funding to CBP. The headlines are great for them.

Also your later post has NOTHING about helping the people at the border. Nice fail there, despite your insistence on how I hate them all and you care so much.

This is just going around in circles. I'm saying things that could be done to help both stem the tide and address the bad conditions now. Others... not so much! Unless there's fresh news on it, I won't be responding again.

figmentPez

Staff member
Also your later post has NOTHING about helping the people at the border. Nice fail there, despite your insistence on how I hate them all and you care so much.
"invite in non-profit humanitarian organizations to take over control of the prison system"

How is that not a plan to help people at the border? Taking the people who are being held under inhumane conditions, and putting them into the hands of people who will ensure that they are treated better.

figmentPez

Staff member
Yes, manufactured by the democrats! They're the ones denying funding to CBP. The headlines are great for them.
"Look at all this broken merchandise. Shame someone came in and smashed all these nice things. But it's really your fault, since you didn't want to pay for 'protection'. I just don't know why someone would 'deny funding' to such an important service. We'll be back later to see if you've got the money. If not, it would be horrible for you to be responsible for more damage."

"invite in non-profit humanitarian organizations to take over control of the prison system"

How is that not a plan to help people at the border? Taking the people who are being held under inhumane conditions, and putting them into the hands of people who will ensure that they are treated better.
Because once they start seeing how the Prison System in many states are run, they'll have no freaking idea how to deal with the immigration issue.

figmentPez

Staff member
What have we all learned?

The US has concentration camps.
The US, for yet another time*, has concentration camps.

*once again? I'm not sure what the best phrasing is here. But I think it's important to note that this is not the first time we've done this shit.

Last edited:
Fine, you support more money for CBP? If not, then you're supporting treating them as they are...
Throwing more money at it is not the problem. Our border budget has almost tripled since 2004 (1.5bil->5bil) There is no way that is not sufficient to also include basic human care being granted to detainees.
If your plumbing is leaking and causing issues, the first thing to do is stop the water, not clean up where it's damaging.
I’m with you, here, but I feel like the leak we should be looking for is the leak in the budget that is obviously hemorrhaging the money that ought to be going to the care and processing of detainees. Budget went UP. Staff went UP. But number of apprehensions actually went DOWN. Maybe we shouldn’t be looking for a leak. Maybe we should be looking for a siphon.

—Patrick

The solution is easy!

I already suggested that. He shot it down.

Maybe an engineering analogy will help? There's an oil well that has been leaking for years. Up to now it's been a problem, but mostly dealt with.

But now, the government has ordered the local fire department to light the surrounding homes on fire and refuse to put them out. Capping the well at this point won't change the fact that those homes are still burning at the order of the government.

He's only looking at the well, not the burning homes.

Dammit British news media, don't make me defend a Tory MP.

It doesn't matter if it's a peaceful protest - if you interrupt a private event uninvited you are going to be removed from the premises, whether that's by security or by a guest. The people calling for Mark Field to be sacked are wrong. Nothing he did was unreasonable.

Just remember, in Nazi Germany, they were keeping people from leaving and putting them into Death camps. What you guys have is too many people trying to enter your country, and you putting them into overcrowded jails because there's not enough funding to actually build what capacity you need (and processing through it) for the volume coming in. There is quite a difference there.

Solutions?

Less people trying to come in illegally (safe 3rd country agreements, walls, or making the destination seem less attractive)
More funding for the "system" to process people (you'd have to fund ICE and CBP)
Open borders

Some seem to be encouraging the 3rd, by rejecting the first two.
Well there was $6 billion that Trump took claiming it was an emergency at the border. Which probably would go a long way to solving this problem.

Of course that's assuming Trump even wants to solve the problem which I think is pretty spurious reasoning seeing as how the problem has only gotten worse under his leadership.

When I said the situation was budgetary, I didn't mean "lack of funding." The money was there and now is gone. I'm not privy to where it went or who did it.

And even if it WAS a genuine budget gap, this is the fucking United States, where mountains of money can be moved at a whim for whatever rich people bullshit. If the Trump administration wanted kids at the border to have soap and toothpaste, there would be soap and toothpaste.

When I said the situation was budgetary, I didn't mean "lack of funding." The money was there and now is gone. I'm not privy to where it went or who did it.

And even if it WAS a genuine budget gap, this is the fucking United States, where mountains of money can be moved at a whim for whatever rich people bullshit. If the Trump administration wanted kids at the border to have soap and toothpaste, there would be soap and toothpaste.
Or beds....or shelter.

Or beds....or shelter.
That's another thing entirely because we have those. Specifically set aside for detained immigrants.

And some are sitting empty. People just aren't being moved from the border to well-supplied facilities with space.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a conscious decision by this administration is denying reality.

figmentPez

Staff member
The rate of illegal entry into the US from Mexico has been dropping over the last decade.... Yet suddenly we've got a backlog in the system, and overcrowding in concentration camps.... How can anyone reach the conclusion that we need a massive increase in the budget, and that Democrats are the cause of the problem?

The rate of illegal entry into the US from Mexico has been dropping over the last decade.... Yet suddenly we've got a backlog in the system, and overcrowding in concentration camps.... How can anyone reach the conclusion that we need a massive increase in the budget, and that Democrats are the cause of the problem?
And what in the flying fuck does keeping a hypothetical who hasn't even reached the border from crossing have to do with the administration arguing that children and toddlers who are already here don't need soap, toothpaste, blankets, or even a mattress?

I'll go there. WWJD? How can anyone calling themselves a "Good Christian" look at that situation and only spew cold numbers. Appeal to emotion? You're fucking right.

“Look what you’re making us resort to!”
I mean, they’re already holding our parents hostage through healthcare cuts, and our kids hostage through loans and other debt, so now they have to hold other people’s parents/kids hostage to push their agenda?

—Patrick

Evangelicalism is a far greater danger to the country and the world than Islam. Nothing more than hate wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.