Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Also, it has something to do with their bailouts as well. From what I've read, the Macron government loaned over 1 billion Euros to their banks to keep them solvent. Last year, they agreed to deduct 400 million from the remaining balance in exchange for a pledge to create 100,000 jobs. The banking corporations agreed, pocketed their discount, and didn't create new jobs. So the French taxpayer is footing the bill for that discount with no benefit.

Also, it has something to do with their bailouts as well. From what I've read, the Macron government loaned over 1 billion Euros to their banks to keep them solvent. Last year, they agreed to deduct 400 million from the remaining balance in exchange for a pledge to create 100,000 jobs. The banking corporations agreed, pocketed their discount, and didn't create new jobs. So the French taxpayer is footing the bill for that discount with no benefit.
I doubt it's just loans from Macron's government. French banks got hefty bailouts back around when Obama took office, and bank execs profited from being too big to fail, and rich enough to buy regulations letting them be evil.

This rage had been a long time brewing.

That makes sense. The article I read pointed the blame at Macron, but that could have been for the rebate, not the initial bailout.

Dave

Staff member
Sounds like what the telecom companies did here in the US. $400 billion for infrastructure. Nah. We'll pocket that money and use it to lobby against Net Neutrality. Infrastructure? We can't afford that! But thanks for the $400 billion, American taxpayers!

thanks for the $400 billion, American taxpayers!
$400bil might sound like a lot of money, but it really starts to sound like a lot of money when you realize that’s the equivalent of them pocketing about $1250 from every single person in the entire United States. Or, if you assume an average of 2.66 persons per household, it’s like having an extra $277 “gratuity charge” added to your monthly Internet bill, but with zero extra benefit.

—Patrick

Last edited:
Sounds like what the telecom companies did here in the US. $400 billion for infrastructure. Nah. We'll pocket that money and use it to lobby against Net Neutrality. Infrastructure? We can't afford that! But thanks for the $400 billion, American taxpayers!
To really stir the pot: how many walls would $400B build?

:awesome:

Israel has a symbolic president. I thought that was how all parliamentary systems worked. Granted, I ignored dictatorships where they choose the title of president.

To really stir the pot: how many walls would $400B build?

:awesome:
Well, you could build an extra one at the northern border even...

And that's after whatever company Trump picks pockets half the money.

Post automatically merged:

Now that you mention it, I can think of several figurehead monarchs, but no current presidents spring to mind.
How american of you... :p

News is trending that someone got through TSA and onto a plane with a firearm and ammunition two weeks into the shutdown, but I have no idea if this is something that happens and just isn't much reported or a symptom of current events.

Also, I keep seeing responses to the shutdown affecting FDA inspections as "fuck the FDA, telling us what we can and can't eat!" and I'm just ... so tired.

News is trending that someone got through TSA and onto a plane with a firearm and ammunition two weeks into the shutdown, but I have no idea if this is something that happens and just isn't much reported or a symptom of current events.
I can't find it right now, but someone posted (on Facebook?) that someone who flies a lot questioned an agent about how they weren't getting hassled about their drink this time and were told the gvt is shut down, we don't care about your drink. What they posted was that the TSA "...is Security Theater, not Community Theater. They want to get paid."

--Patrick

The TSA is notoriously bad at catching stuff even when fully funded.

As for the FDA stuff, I can't help but think of the people who fought to have raw milk legalized, celebrated by drinking raw milk, and promptly got sick.