Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

$200 - $300 printers generally aren't very high quality though.
This is an honest question, coming from someone who doesn't know guns or 3D printers... Does it actually take a high quality printer to print a gun able to kill someone? I could see it needing to - a gun with a bunch of thick seams or something that will disintegrate when any moving part actually tries to move would be useless and likely just blow up in the user's hand. But could someone with a file and some time on their hands refine a crappy printing job into something lethal?

GasBandit

Staff member
This is an honest question, coming from someone who doesn't know guns or 3D printers... Does it actually take a high quality printer to print a gun able to kill someone? I could see it needing to - a gun with a bunch of thick seams or something that will disintegrate when any moving part actually tries to move would be useless and likely just blow up in the user's hand. But could someone with a file and some time on their hands refine a crappy printing job into something lethal?
If you want a gun that fires more than once (and doesn't explode in your hand), you need it to be made out of something other than the cheap resin. And the cheap machines generally only use the cheap resin, and to not a very good degree, either. I mean, they're fine if you want to make cheap toys or smartphone cradles or whatnot, but if you want an actual working gun, you need a 3d printer that can use metal. And that's still tens of thousands of bucks.

More info:

https://3dprint.com/139537/3d-printed-guns/

Also, another reminder - the 3d-printed "Liberator" all-plastic pistol came out 3 years ago. It's been yet to be found as being used in any sort of crime or attack. Because regular guns are still easier and cheaper to get, work better and more safely (for the user at least), and even with waiting periods, generally take less time to get a working one.

Last edited:
if you want an actual working gun, you need a 3d printer that can use metal. And that's still tens of thousands of bucks.
Good. That's slightly less alarming than the thought that anyone with a few hundred dollars... Ugh. I won't even finish that thought, since, with a few hundred dollars, they can just go buy the damned gun in the first place. Le sigh.

GasBandit

Staff member
Good. That's slightly less alarming than the thought that anyone with a few hundred dollars... Ugh. I won't even finish that thought, since, with a few hundred dollars, they can just go buy the damned gun in the first place. Le sigh.
A hundred bucks will get you a perfectly serviceable Hi-Point conventional semiautomatic pistol in your choice of caliber, from 9mm to .45 acp.

But Trump's Justice Department figures "Meh. What harm could come of this?"
Ok, black people, this is now on you... get your guns and march on your state capitol... you'll get gun control laws passes so fast it will make your head spin... it's how California got it's laws under Gov. Reagan.

Isn't this the bullshit established democrats claimed Bernie would do? These old fuckers and their projection. I hope she obliterates him, but him causing a Republican to be elected would be horrifying but completely deserving to the Democrats.

I hope she obliterates him, but him causing a Republican to be elected would be horrifying but completely deserving to the Democrats.
I don't see how the democrats would deserve it. They don't want him to do this. Even the working families party doesn't want him to do this. This is entirely on Crowley. Not to mention, I can't blame the democrats for being wary about Bernie given that he had been a member of the party for a year.

Dave

Staff member
If you read the article it talks about how to get out of that nomination you have to jump through flaming hoops that the candidate was not willing to do. So yeah.

If you read the article it talks about how to get out of that nomination you have to jump through flaming hoops that the candidate was not willing to do. So yeah.
Apparently the party that gave him their endorsement were willing to do the paperwork for him to be a candidate but he refused. My guess is that he’s hoping for a swing back to him in the general. Especially with that BS response her people are gearing up for the general election they shouldn’t have to chase him down.

A miracle win is his only hope in politics and he knows it.

All they need is a child adoption service to decide they'll only adopt children to Muslim families on grounds of religious belief, and see how hard the gop swings against this so called religious freedom.
They would have it defunded/made illegal in a heartbeat. Hypocrisy is a badge of honor for these bastards.

They would have it defunded/made illegal in a heartbeat. Hypocrisy is a badge of honor for these bastards.
I'm sorry to say that some recent research demonstrates that hypocrisy is easily found in both parties, especially at the extremes, but no less amongst the Democrats than the Republicans.

Huh, those questions asked of "democrats" were a bit misleading. The question on Science is a little... squiffy.

Ugh, morons answered the polls. Just sad.

I'm sorry to say that some recent research demonstrates that hypocrisy is easily found in both parties, especially at the extremes, but no less amongst the Democrats than the Republicans.
Thanks for the completely unnecessary explanation. Do you feel better now? Somehow superior? Convinced you’ve put me in my place?

I’m not a Democrat or Republican. I don’t need to be reminded that both sides are fallible; I realized that a long, long time ago when I declined to join a party. So your “revelation” means shit to me. This particular batch of GOP politicians are pieces of shit, and saying so doesn’t somehow mean the Democrats are angels.

But, hey, thanks I guess.

Thanks for the completely unnecessary explanation. Do you feel better now? Somehow superior? Convinced you’ve put me in my place?

I’m not a Democrat or Republican. I don’t need to be reminded that both sides are fallible; I realized that a long, long time ago when I declined to join a party. So your “revelation” means shit to me. This particular batch of GOP politicians are pieces of shit, and saying so doesn’t somehow mean the Democrats are angels.

But, hey, thanks I guess.
I don't really care about any of that. Not sure why you reached so viscerally. I didn't reference you at all in my response.

FYI - the hypocrisy research was presented at a conference this month but comes from polls funded by Cards Against Humanity of all things. Here is a sample of the results and you can play around with the raw data too:

Republicans: https://thepulseofthenation.com/#poll-4

Democrats: https://thepulseofthenation.com/#poll-5
But those clearly show Reps have higher % for most questions, and Trump supporters even more so...

I think we are all being a little silly here. There is nothing scientific about the polling here and often opinions aren’t as black and white when it comes to issues. These polls can’t adjust for nuance, and the snarky conclusions (both for Dems and Reps) lead me to think it was their goal all along.

I certainly wouldn’t use this to support any side of an argument.