Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Miss California pageant wants Prejean to pay for her own boobs. If she's involved, it's political. No two ways about it.
:facepalm:

I'm not her biggest fan by any means, but this is just bullshit. They practically outright say that they're doing it because she pissed them off.

:rofl:

This on the other hand, just freaks me out a bit, and it has more to do with the book-burning thing than anything else, though the "satanic" declarations are a bit wince-inducing as well.

GasBandit

Staff member
Except, you know, that's not what they are doing.
Rahm Emanuel and David Axelrod BOTH said, on the air, "Fox isn't really a news channel, and you guys [other news networks] shouldn't bother with stories they cover."

Frankly the whole issue is a laughable farce to me, but let's not pretend they're not doing what they're doing.[/quote]

Asking other news organizations to not treat Fox news reports as news, but as editorial perspectives, while still agreeing to appear on Fox news interviews and events?[/quote]

Tekeo said:
There is a wide, wide gap between \"impact\" and \"directly responsible\".

DA's point (correct me, if I'm wrong, DA) is that when folks with wide public exposure like Beck, Bachmann, Savage, etc., make crazy inflammatory statements like they have, they're contributing considerably to the atmosphere that brings the crazies out.
I'm loving how NOW, "crazy, inflammatory statements" are suddenly a cause for the imperial hammer coming down on people, when for the 8 years previous crazy, inflammatory statements, songs, movies and articles ranging from libel and slander to outright advocacy of assassination were protected free speech and "dissent [was] the new patriotism."
You find me a Democratic congressman or national-level pundit calling for armed revolution or assassination in the Bush years, and I will gladly condemn it in the same manner.
Well, I guess we know who took an 8 year nap. Not to mention doesn't know the opinons of the founding fathers of the country -

"A little revolution every so often is a good thing."
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
- - Thomas Jefferson

There was a huge stink over this movie's depiction of the assassination of dubya - which opened at the toronto film festival the DAY BEFORE the assassination occurred in the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_President

Can we imagine what would have happened if someone had made a game where the objective was to assassinate Obama?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technolog...e-bush-assassination-videogame-virtual-jihadi

Get a load of this - http://97.74.65.51/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=10846

and these - http://michellemalkin.com/2008/06/04/assassination-fascination/

As for congressman, of course no democrat congressman would advocate armed uprising... unlike conservatives, the untouchable oppressiveness of government is their goal. They love government too much to advocate rebellion.

But it is the government that lives in fear of the credible threat of revolution that is most beneficial to liberty.

You're seriously equating a Fox news pundit with the heads of state of potentially hostile nations?

And apparently, Thomas Jefferson had nothing to do with the revolutionary atmosphere of his time period.

Do you even know what the argument is?

We've been talking about the contributing effects of statements like these from public figures on the public at large.

The links you have demonstrate that when someone makes these statements, they are roundly condemned for that exact reason!

So how exactly does this absolve Beck, Bachmann, etc?

It gets better. As in worse.

Mississippi Congressman talks of shooting Democrats. Dude, you do know your district is known for the lynchings during the civil rights struggles of the 1960s? I guess he does. He's standing by his statements.

Liz Cheney is a fucking coward. Softballs ahoy! The only reason her group exists is to funnel more federal dollars to Halliburton by keeping the threat of "terrorism" alive. A textbook case of Colin Powell's "terror-industrial complex" in action.

Congressmen running away from Obama-as-witch-doctor doc.

Bernie Kerik headed to jail. Bail revoked.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

And in case I forgot, those Republicans who wailed and screamed and voted against the stimulus sure aren't shy about taking the money when it's time to hand it out.

You're seriously equating a Fox news pundit with the heads of state of potentially hostile nations?

And apparently, Thomas Jefferson had nothing to do with the revolutionary atmosphere of his time period.

Do you even know what the argument is?

We've been talking about the contributing effects of statements like these from public figures on the public at large.

The links you have demonstrate that when someone makes these statements, they are roundly condemned for that exact reason!

So how exactly does this absolve Beck, Bachmann, etc?
It doesn't. It confuses and misdirects everyone reading it. Welcome back Gas Bandit.

It gets better. As in worse.

Mississippi Congressman talks of shooting Democrats. Dude, you do know your district is known for the lynchings during the civil rights struggles of the 1960s? I guess he does. He's standing by his statements.
You know, I can't actually get excited about this one. It was a dumb as hell joke, but he treated that whole interview as a joke, and he clearly has no idea what the sportsmen group he's in is actually doing...

It does seem like poor form to challenge MSNBC to do what they ended up doing, and then run away, but it's hardly unexpected that she feels like she'll get a better audience for her spiel at Fox.

I don't often say this, but good for Coburn and Price.

GasBandit

Staff member
In the 90s, under the Clinton administration, 5% unemployment was considered "full employment." Under Dubya, in 2005, it was sign that we were in a horrible recession. Now, apparently 10% unemployment is just going to be the new normal.

In the 90s, under the Clinton administration, 5% unemployment was considered "full employment." Under Dubya, in 2005, it was sign that we were in a horrible recession. Now, apparently 10% unemployment is just going to be the new normal.
A co-worker of a friend of mine asked for a raise. His boss said "A job, it is the new raise."

The dot.com bust/9-11 recession is no where as serious as the failure of our system of banking, the auto industry, and housing bubble. There will be people out of work for a longer period of time. The Federal Gov't has kept it's Cold War, WWII, Depression Era spending habits. And now no amount of money alone will provide a quick fix. Be prepared for austerity measures in the coming decade.

GasBandit

Staff member
A co-worker of a friend of mine asked for a raise. His boss said "A job, it is the new raise."

The dot.com bust/9-11 recession is no where as serious as the failure of our system of banking, the auto industry, and housing bubble. There will be people out of work for a longer period of time. The Federal Gov't has kept it's Cold War, WWII, Depression Era spending habits. And now no amount of money alone will provide a quick fix.
Certainly no amount of printed money spent quickly, massively, and haphazardly by a government who actually has no motivation to fix a crisis which increases its own stranglehold on the lives of its citizens.

Did you know that banks were forced to take TARP funds even if they didn't want or need them, just so government could then come back later and say "you took public money, we run you now?"

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Sarah Palin on Oprah? PALIN on OPRAH?

This is what it's like
when
worlds
COLLIDE!!

Even Obama's hometown rag is getting tired of his BS.

Harry Reid: king of medical pork.

Even a CNN poll is now showing half the country disagrees with Obama on the issues.

Everybody's heard of this by now, right? Anita Dunn, white house director of communications? Her favorite philosopher is Mao Tse Tung? Say what you will about the fiscally irresponsible bush administration, but is there ANYBODY on the Obama team who isn't a complete looney, fraud or cheat?

Everybody's heard of this by now, right? Anita Dunn, white house director of communications? Her favorite philosopher is Mao Tse Tung? Say what you will about the fiscally irresponsible bush administration, but is there ANYBODY on the Obama team who isn't a complete looney, fraud or cheat?
Discussed to death. It's a Fox Noise/Glenn Beck smear. The end. NEXT![/QUOTE]

Except that she...uh...said it.[/QUOTE]
Yes but apparently if Fox News says anything about it it is automatically invalid. I heard them say Obama was president the other day so I expect DA to call bullshit any minute now... ;)

Discussed to death. It's a Fox Noise/Glenn Beck smear. The end. NEXT![/quote]

Except that she...uh...said it.[/quote]
Yes but apparently if Fox News says anything about it it is automatically invalid. I heard them say Obama was president the other day so I expect DA to call bullshit any minute now... ;)[/QUOTE]
I was going to respond, but then I thought "This is so absurd, Espy doesn't believe it."

I don't really think it's a big deal either way to be honest, I could care less who quoted whom but I find the rabid and irrational hatred of any cable news channel hilarious.

But yes, for those wondering, my comment was... a JOKE. Humor. Funny like a clown. Can a brother get a BAD-A-TUM up in this bitch?

Very nice.

In other news I heard Fox News said the world was round. MSNBC has responded calling for the white house to immediately change any and all geography books that mentions the world as round.
Fox has responded by saying the world is flat as a pancake, leaving MSNBC flustered but charging forward with it's all out geographical attack, saying Cubed but with rounded corners would be a sufficient change. CNN continues to report on the Jon and Kate + 8 drama.

C

crono1224

Very nice.

In other news I heard Fox News said the world was round. MSNBC has responded calling for the white house to immediately change any and all geography books that mentions the world as round.
Fox has responded by saying the world is flat as a pancake, leaving MSNBC flustered but charging forward with it's all out geographical attack, saying Cubed but with rounded corners would be a sufficient change. CNN continues to report on the Jon and Kate + 8 drama.
More like cnn continues to fact check dora the explorer. As random guessed facts still get thrown around by pundits on their actual shows.

Dude just doesn't get it. Senator Vitter dodges interracial marriage question. So. Pro-racism *and* pro-rape. Stay classy, Senator.

Hudson Institute fellow claims universal health care would increase bankruptcies. Senator Franken's staff already had the data. Number of medical bankruptcies in Europe: zero.
GasBandit disregarding that info because it comes from Al Franken in 3... 2... 1...[/QUOTE]

This isn't really a hit on DA, but in the Anita Dunn thread, DA had pointed out that because the video of Dunn had come from Beck---whether or not it was her words was immaterial---'the source was crap' therefore 'the video is crap'. If GB disregards the info because it comes from Al "Air America" Franken, would it really be all that different? Honest question, really.

Dude just doesn't get it. Senator Vitter dodges interracial marriage question. So. Pro-racism *and* pro-rape. Stay classy, Senator.

Hudson Institute fellow claims universal health care would increase bankruptcies. Senator Franken's staff already had the data. Number of medical bankruptcies in Europe: zero.
GasBandit disregarding that info because it comes from Al Franken in 3... 2... 1...[/quote]

This isn't really a hit on DA, but in the Anita Dunn thread, DA had pointed out that because the video of Dunn had come from Beck---whether or not it was her words was immaterial---'the source was crap' therefore 'the video is crap'. If GB disregards the info because it comes from Al "Air America" Franken, would it really be all that different? Honest question, really.[/QUOTE]
I'll be honest, I'm fighting like hell to find the source where he got the information, and I haven't yet.

I'd posit that a sitting U.S. Senator with a reputation for rigorous fact-checking has far more credibility than a weepy, conspiracy-spouting nutjob who just happens to have a TV show among his fellow wingnuts.

I'd posit that a sitting U.S. Senator with a reputation for rigorous fact-checking has far more credibility than a weepy, conspiracy-spouting nutjob who just happens to have a TV show among his fellow wingnuts.
Yeah, this I agree with too. I'm juts saying I can't find his source.

I dont give a shit who it's coming from as long as its backed up with some sort of tangible evidence or fact. It could come from Beck, Hannity, Olberman, or Michael Moore for all I care as long as it passes the litmus test. This is why I oppose the outright dismissal of information or evidence just because it comes from someone you disagree with politically. If Franken has a source and its right, yay for him and his evidence. If Beck can prove Acorn is a corrupt organization and Anita dun carries Mao's red book around with her, then good on him.

Terrik, one is a pundit who is always wrong. The other is a Senator. I'll take Vitter at his word before Beck, too. It's a matter of credibility.

The entire quote is this-
"The third lesson and tip actually comes from two of my favorite political philosophers: Mao Tse-tung and Mother Theresa -- not often coupled with each other, but the two people I turn to most to basically deliver a simple point which is 'you're going to make choices; you're going to challenge; you're going to say why not; you're going to figure out how to do things that have never been done before."
Remember that this, apparently, means Anita Dunn is a lover of Mao and his killing of so many people. Which, of course, means Obama is surrounded by crazy homicidal murderers.

As I said, credibility factor.

I think people's beef with that quote was calling Mao one of her favorite political philosophers.

As for Beck, after Congress decided to cut funding to ACORN, I can't really say that he's always wrong, he does get some things right. I also tend to agree with his complaints about printing money, but I also disagree with him on a wide range of issues. You see, here's the thing---the beauty of the American system, is that one guy is always trying to tear up the other guy. You NEED people like Beck and Hannity, disagree with them as you may, to tear up the ruling establishment to keep them clean. The same goes for when the left did it against GWB. Living in China has taught me that no matter how much you hate the other side, thank God they're there, because in places like China, where its one party and they aren't often so keen to go after themselves, and people in the Chinese media are especially not so keen to go after the ruling government, corruption grows like crazy and you aren't sure who to believe.

I think people's beef with that quote was calling Mao one of her favorite political philosophers.

As for Beck, after Congress decided to cut funding to ACORN, I can't really say that he's always wrong, he does get some things right. I also tend to agree with his complaints about printing money, but I also disagree with him on a wide range of issues. You see, here's the thing---the beauty of the American system, is that one guy is always trying to tear up the other guy. You NEED people like Beck and Hannity, disagree with them as you may, to tear up the ruling establishment to keep them clean. The same goes for when the left did it against GWB. Living in China has taught me that no matter how much you hate the other side, thank God they're there, because in places like China, where its one party and they aren't often so keen to go after themselves, and people in the Chinese media are especially not so keen to go after the ruling government, corruption grows like crazy and you aren't sure who to believe.
I'm saying that their signal to noise ratio is a little hard to get through. The time it takes me to fact check Beck and Hannity isnt worth listening to them on a daily basis.

Opposition is a good thing. I've said that multiple times. hell, I've even stated which opposition voices I have a respect for. However, I'm not going to pretend that these two in particular don't cater to the lowest common denominator, or that their words should be taken at face value. They most certainly should not. No more than stories from Daily Kos or Drudge Report.

If needing Beck means more dead cops because the teevee machine convinced someone that "Obama was coming to take my guns away" and folks showing up at military bases armed to the teeth because "Glenn Beck said it was a FEMA internment camp", then no fucking thank you.

A

Armadillo

If needing Beck means more dead cops because the teevee machine convinced someone that "Obama was coming to take my guns away" and folks showing up at military bases armed to the teeth because "Glenn Beck said it was a FEMA internment camp", then no fucking thank you.
Dude, you're always going to have lone nutbars who go psycho and do stupid/dangerous shit. 99.9999999999999% of the people who listen to Glenn Beck aren't going to do either of the things you mentioned above, yet you continue to take those isolated incidents and treat them as though they're happening every hour on the hour.

Dude, you're always going to have lone nutbars who go psycho and do stupid/dangerous shit. 99.9999999999999% of the people who listen to Glenn Beck aren't going to do either of the things you mentioned above, yet you continue to take those isolated incidents and treat them as though they're happening every hour on the hour.[/QUOTE]
So, it's ok for Beck to make things up since there are crazies who do stupid shit anyways. Am I reading that right?

My counter to that would be abortion doctors don't have some of the most dangerous jobs in the country because the job itself is dangerous. It's because of hate speech.