Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Wow, the fact that you're defending the "bone in the nose" comment kinda freaks me out...

This sort of reminds of the old, old boards when Invader claimed that as long as no one used the N-word, it wasn't racist, just an observation.

C

crono1224

Lol minus the page linked with all the other Rush racist statements that are at minimum border line and at worst clear racism.

A

Armadillo

Wow, the fact that you're defending the "bone in the nose" comment kinda freaks me out...

This sort of reminds of the old, old boards when Invader claimed that as long as no one used the N-word, it wasn't racist, just an observation.
Not defending, asking for full context. No matter how terrible a quote sounds, context is paramount. I'm fully prepared for the context to show that what Limbaugh said was horribly racist, I'm just not willing to brand him as such without the full picture.

Not defending, asking for full context. No matter how terrible a quote sounds, context is paramount. I'm fully prepared for the context to show that what Limbaugh said was horribly racist, I'm just not willing to brand him as such without the full picture.[/QUOTE]
No, wrong argument. Nobody said he is a racist. We are saying what he said is racist.

For context, listen to this clip. It gives a great explanation why what you are doing is wrong.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Ti-gkJiXc&feature=PlayList&p=EAC350B4C62E802B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4[/ame]

No, wrong argument. Nobody said he is a racist. We are saying what he said is racist.
It probably is, so what's the harm in showing the context? It will probably back you up. Of course, assuming it's not just taken out of context and no one knows the actual context which would be... well... pretty slimy in a Fox News sort of way.

A

Armadillo

Wow, the fact that you're defending the \"bone in the nose\" comment kinda freaks me out...

Not defending, asking for full context. No matter how terrible a quote sounds, context is paramount. I'm fully prepared for the context to show that what Limbaugh said was horribly racist, I'm just not willing to brand him as such without the full picture.[/QUOTE]

For context, listen to this clip. It gives a great explanation why what you are doing is wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody here has said Limbaugh's a racist? Wasn't that what the whole argument was about?

If all we're arguing about is whether or not the things he says are racist, then good Lord, we're all guilty of that, and therefore Limbaugh is on par with society. However, if the point being made by his detractors is that he harbors racist views, then that's where context becomes important, because it establishes intent. In my view, to be a racist you have to believe that a certain race is superior or inferior to other races. You can tell a racist joke without being a racist as long as you don't actually believe that the message of the joke is true. Does that make sense?

I really don't understand you people. Limbaugh can say anything he wants,no matter how vile, and still you'll make excuses for him. He can say he hopes for riots, say watching NFL football is like watching the Bloods and the Crips, tell a caller to get the bone out of his nose, say that if a white president had ordered the shooting of the black Muslim somoli pirates he would have caught hell, and when an advisor to Obama lists Mao and mother Teresa as philosophical influences it's the end of the world.

When someone says things like this
Rush Limbaugh said:
"We thought that it was just liberal welfare policies and all that that kept blacks from progressing while other minorities grew and prospered, but no, it is these wackos from Bill Ayers to Jeremiah Wright to other anti-American Afrocentric black liberation theologists with ACORN, and Barack Obama is smack dab in the middle of it, they have been training young black kids to hate, hate, hate this country, and they trained their parents before that to hate, hate, hate this country. It was a movement. It was a Bill Ayers, anti-capitalist, anti-American educational movement. ACORN is how it was implemented, right under our noses."
and you want to defend it, I'm pretty much done trying to convince you otherwise.

How any comment made by someone on the left is filled with subtle nuances, and things Limbaugh says is simple and taken out of context, is beyond me.

A

Armadillo

I really don't understand you people. Limbaugh can say anything he wants,no matter how vile, and still you'll make excuses for him. He can say he hopes for riots, say watching NFL football is like watching the Bloods and the Crips, tell a caller to get the bone out of his nose, say that if a white president had ordered the shooting of the black Muslim somoli pirates he would have caught hell, and when an advisor to Obama lists Mao and mother Teresa as philosophical influences it's the end of the world.

When someone says things like this
Rush Limbaugh said:
"We thought that it was just liberal welfare policies and all that that kept blacks from progressing while other minorities grew and prospered, but no, it is these wackos from Bill Ayers to Jeremiah Wright to other anti-American Afrocentric black liberation theologists with ACORN, and Barack Obama is smack dab in the middle of it, they have been training young black kids to hate, hate, hate this country, and they trained their parents before that to hate, hate, hate this country. It was a movement. It was a Bill Ayers, anti-capitalist, anti-American educational movement. ACORN is how it was implemented, right under our noses."
and you want to defend it, I'm pretty much done trying to convince you otherwise.

How any comment made by someone on the left is filled with subtle nuances, and things Limbaugh says is simple and taken out of context, is beyond me.
Is the above quote untrue in every way, or do you dislike it because it came from Rush Limbaugh and deals with race? We get it; you can't stand Limbaugh. That doesn't make him a racist, it doesn't make those who stick up for him against unfair attacks racist or ignorant, and it doesn't mean that those who go against him some kind of paragon of virtue. I personally can't stand listening to him, but I'm not going to crucify the guy and start implying all kinds of nasty things about him because of it. It's like what you're seeing with Glenn Beck, who I do like. He's become the new whipping boy of the left: they're taking things he's said out of context, ignoring the message he's providing in favor of personally attacking him, and just generally being obtuse little jerks about it.

Now watch, I'd bet good money that within five responses, you'll see a "You listen to that phony asshole Beck? What the fuck's wrong with you?" post.

Listen to whoever you want Armadillo. I think I understand more than I want to.
What the hell's that supposed to mean?[/QUOTE]
It means that I've gotten all the knowledge I am going to get out of this conversation. We can argue ad nauseum, or one of us can drop out. You're to the point where you're saying the issue is with me, that I have preconceived ideas about Mr. Limbaugh, not that I have come to my opinions based on the things he has said (and yes, some things are taken out of context. He is still saying hateful, divisive things). You don't respect that I have an opinion, or that those opinions are based on my observations. Continuing is pretty pointless.

Ask yourself this- If it was someone on the left, would you react differently? Would you be defending them? If it was Reid, Pelossi, or Obama who said these things?

I know I wouldn't.

A

Armadillo

Listen to whoever you want Armadillo. I think I understand more than I want to.
What the hell's that supposed to mean?[/QUOTE]
It means that I've gotten all the knowledge I am going to get out of this conversation. We can argue ad nauseum, or one of us can drop out. You're to the point where you're saying the issue is with me, that I have preconceived ideas about Mr. Limbaugh, not that I have come to my opinions based on the things he has said (and yes, some things are taken out of context. He is still saying hateful, divisive things). You don't respect that I have an opinion, or that those opinions are based on my observations. Continuing is pretty pointless.

Ask yourself this- If it was someone on the left, would you react differently? Would you be defending them? If it was Reid, Pelossi, or Obama who said these things?

I know I wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact, I have defended those very people against similar attacks from the right, just not on this particular forum. I agree that you and I aren't going to get anywhere the way we're going, but I don't appreciate you saying I don't respect your opinion. I DISAGREE with your opinion, but that doesn't mean I don't RESPECT that you have one.

But here I am trying to reason with a liberal from Wisconsin. That's two strikes right there, buddy. :D

GasBandit

Staff member
I know GB is aware of what's going on here. It ain't his thread any more!
Excuse me, you're in my spot.

What is $1.42 trillion? It's more than the total national debt for the first 200 years of the Republic, more than the entire economy of India, and more than $4,700 for every man, woman and child in the United States. Oh and our 2009 federal deficit.

The Government Accountability Office says that our long-term economic outlook is unsustainable.

Your tax dollars at work ... $2.3 million in federal stimulus money to train hairdressers, masseuses and nail technicians.

A must-read. The destruction of our private healthcare system is already underway thanks to Barack Obama and the Democrats.

The director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, wanted the the FCC force stations to provide free time for advertisements calling attention to what he called "the population-resource-environment crisis."

Maureen Dowd in the New York Times: Obama does not want his fatal flaw to be that he compromises so much that his ideals get blurred out of recognition.

Another New York Times columnist who seems frustrated with Obama's willingness to compromise. I guess he's too left for the righties, and too right for the lefties?

George Will explains that Barack Obama may be re-elected solely based on the fact that he will make so many more people dependent on government.

The White House says that the government option is preferred but not required for the president to sign a healthcare bill.

Obama's government pay czar says that the CEO of Bank of America shouldn't be paid for 2009. So there you go.

The Democrats are scrounging to get seniors to support their healthcare plan. Then Barack Obama comes along and says he will give every senior citizen a $250 check. Any connection?

The Wall Street Journal explains: Almost two-thirds of all bad mortgages in our financial system were bought by government agencies or required by government regulations. But it's wall street greed, not social engineering the insolvent into homes they can't afford to pander for votes that caused the mortgage collapse. Of course. Assuredly.

Senators took taxpayer money slated for our troops and earmarked it for projects like an educational institute named after Ted Kennedy. Your tax dollars. Your government.

Remember Barack Obama's urgency to pass the $787 billion economic stimulus plan so that we could "create or save jobs"? Looks like 30,000 were saved or created thanks to the stimulus.

The US Chamber of Commerce reminds us that it is the private sector, not the government, which will create the jobs to bring us out of this economy.

Michelle Obama says that teachers are the key to a successful economy. Government schools ... teachers unions ... this is what is going to turn the tide for our economy? You have GOT to be kidding me.

Nine months into the Obama presidency, tax cheat Timothy Geithner has more than half of the 33 highest-level Treasury Department posts vacant.

Harry Reid explains how $54 billion is not a lot of money.

A former Republican congressional budget chief calls the Obama administration's claims to fiscal responsibility "hypocritical" and "laughable."

Here's a conundrum from CNN: While people want government to solve big problems like health care, they don't trust the government to do it.

Arianna Huffington wants Joe Biden to resign if Obama escalates the war in Afghanistan.

More illustration of the perils of big, invasive government - A justice of the peace in Louisiana refuses to marry an interracial couple because he is concerned for their potential children.

There's a media lynch mob running around with a noose. They're looking for Rush Limbaugh. But even the brits aren't buying it.

This from PriceWaterhouseCoopers should be all it takes to kill the Baucus healthcare bill. But it won't.

Also, last week the dollar hit a 14-month low against the euro and the price of oil futures rose above 75 dollars for the first time in a year.

SEIU, the Service Employee's International Union served as ACORN's thug brigade for years. Now they're providing appointees for Obama's government thug brigade.

Despite what Washington may tell you, the greatest risk to our economy is not Wall Street .... It is Washington's massive debt. Tony Blankley will educate you.

Is CAIR really on a mission to plant Muslim interns in the offices of congressmen who are on committees affecting US national security?

Here's an article about an insurance company in New York that was forced to cover people despite pre-existing conditions, and the company ended up canceling lines of coverage in that state rather than continuing to take the hit.

Democrats in the House now represent the richest regions of the United States.

I like this. A Democratic congressional candidate in Florida returned a campaign check from John Murtha's PAC.

I love it. A birther was fined $20,000 by a federal judge here in Georgia for using the courts "as a platform for a political agenda disconnected from any legitimate legal cause of action."

The Democrats are showing their cards. Their plot to pass climate change legislation includes linking global warming to national security. And somebody out there is buying this BS and eating it right up.

The FCC Commissioner says that Diversity Czar Mark Lloyd's ideas on regulating free speech are "troubling."

Does Barack Obama have another embarrassing appointee on his hands?

Hey wait .. isn't it still hurricane season? The 2009 Atlantic hurricane season has been the quietest in more than a decade. But isn't all that global warming causing super extra violent hurricane seasons?

A

Armadillo

Unprecedented number of threats against Obama strains Secret Service budget and staffing. And you think folks like Beck, Bachmann, and Savage don't have an impact? :facepalm:
And you think Beck, Bachmann, and Savage are directly responsible for lunatics making threats?

Beck himself has repeated ad nauseum that violence is not the answer.

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

White House Urges Other Networks to Disregard Fox News

The White House is calling on other news organizations to isolate and alienate Fox News as it sends out top advisers to rail against the cable channel as a Republican Party mouthpiece.

Top political strategists question the decision by the Obama administration to escalate its offensive against Fox News. And as of Monday, the four other major television networks had not given any indication that they intend to sever their ties with Fox News.

Obama senior adviser David Axelrod went further by calling on media outlets to join the administration in declaring that Fox is \"not a news organization.\"

\"Other news organizations like yours ought not to treat them that way,\" Axelrod counseled ABC's George Stephanopoulos. \"We're not going to treat them that way.\"

The White House stopped providing guests to \"Fox News Sunday\" after host Chris Wallace fact-checked controversial assertions made by Tammy Duckworth, assistant secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs, in August.

Dunn said fact-checking an administration official was \"something I've never seen a Sunday show do.\"

\"She criticized 'Fox News Sunday' last week for fact-checking -- fact-checking -- an administration official,\" Wallace said Sunday. \"They didn't say that our fact-checking was wrong. They just said that we had dared to fact-check.\"
Appalling. Simply appalling. They're going to stray into some serious First Amendment issues if they're not careful. When even Donna Brazille is saying the administration's not doing the right thing, you know they're screwing up.

Besides, ISN'T THERE A WAR ON?

C

crono1224

Confusing message when the campaign against him, call him racist, saying he is bringing down the country. I hear more about him bitching bout the country is dying then i ever hear him rallying against violence (beck).

A

Armadillo

Confusing message when the campaign against him, call him racist, saying he is bringing down the country. I hear more about him bitching bout the country is dying then i ever hear him rallying against violence (beck).
Saying Obama's policies are bad for the country is hardly the same as calling for violence.

Yup. Talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Unprecedented number of threats against Obama strains Secret Service budget and staffing. And you think folks like Beck, Bachmann, and Savage don't have an impact? :facepalm:
And you think Beck, Bachmann, and Savage are directly responsible for lunatics making threats?

Beck himself has repeated ad nauseum that violence is not the answer.[/QUOTE]

There is a wide, wide gap between "impact" and "directly responsible".

DA's point (correct me, if I'm wrong, DA) is that when folks with wide public exposure like Beck, Bachmann, Savage, etc., make crazy inflammatory statements like they have, they're contributing considerably to the atmosphere that brings the crazies out.

The AP article casts things in considerably different light. Apparently, the White House intends to continue giving Fox interviews, but they'll treat them more like talk shows than news shows.

It's also kind of bullshit of Fox to push this, when they cheered on the Bush White House openly musing about freezing out NBC entirely, and are now pretending that neither they, nor the Bush White House, ever did any such thing.

To be 100% fair, I think it would be utterly wrong were the White House to freeze-out a news organization, even a right-wing propaganda machine like Fox, but so far it seems like the White House is just deciding not to give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

A

Armadillo

It was wrong when Republicans wanted to freeze out MSNBC, it's wrong when Democrats want to freeze out Fox News. I'm getting more than a little tired of so much of the debate in this country coming down to "the other side is a bunch of hypocrites." If it was wrong then, it's wrong now. If you didn't have a problem with it then, you shouldn't have a problem with it now.

It was wrong when Republicans wanted to freeze out MSNBC, it's wrong when Democrats want to freeze out Fox News. I'm getting more than a little tired of so much of the debate in this country coming down to "the other side is a bunch of hypocrites." If it was wrong then, it's wrong now. If you didn't have a problem with it then, you shouldn't have a problem with it now.
Except, you know, that's not what they are doing.

Conversation is going like this-
"We shouldn't let them freeze out a news organization"
"We don't consider Fox a news organization, they're more opinion based"
"Yeah, well, they shouldn't freeze out a news organization"
"But they aren't being frozen out. They'll be contacted when they want to deal with the opposition"
"Yeah, it was wrong then, it's wrong now"
"Wait, we heard all this before"

This is what it feels like right now in this discussion.

Yeah, that false equivalency thing is a bit disingenuous.

Ironically, the Foxnews.com article kind of backs up Axelrod's complaints about the network - they left out key facts (like not being frozen out), ginned up some shocked (shocked, I tell you!) outrage, and played the victim card as hard as they could.

It's not like they couldn't have done one news article about what Axelrod actually said, and then added an editorial piece condemning it, even if it would have been hypocritical of them.

GasBandit

Staff member
Rahm Emanuel and David Axelrod BOTH said, on the air, "Fox isn't really a news channel, and you guys [other news networks] shouldn't bother with stories they cover."

Frankly the whole issue is a laughable farce to me, but let's not pretend they're not doing what they're doing.

http://www.youtube.com/v/u7VtfGk7Nc8

"... and YOU ought not to treat them that way either."

Frankly, when the AP and pretty much every other network has been rabidly eager to fellate Obama at every possible opportunity since his candidatorial debut, I think Fox can be given a little leeway for leaning a commensurate amount the other direction.

Tekeo said:
There is a wide, wide gap between \"impact\" and \"directly responsible\".

DA's point (correct me, if I'm wrong, DA) is that when folks with wide public exposure like Beck, Bachmann, Savage, etc., make crazy inflammatory statements like they have, they're contributing considerably to the atmosphere that brings the crazies out.
I'm loving how NOW, "crazy, inflammatory statements" are suddenly a cause for the imperial hammer coming down on people, when for the 8 years previous crazy, inflammatory statements, songs, movies and articles ranging from libel and slander to outright advocacy of assassination were protected free speech and "dissent [was] the new patriotism."

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Federal drug agents will no longer pursue pot-smoking patients or suppliers in states that allow medical marijuana. Well, that's one small step in the direction of sanity. Back in 2001 it decided to decriminialize all drugs, including cocaine and heroin. There was no spike in usage. There was no public health crisis. In fact, the rate of drug usage is less in Portugal than it is compared to other European nations. The CATO Institute can give you all the hairy details.

The Community Reinvestment Act is back ... but disguised as a different animal. This report should scare the tar out of you. From the Hill

The Senate Finance Committee has filed its healthcare bill. It weighs in at 1,502 pages.

We are going to spend $1 trillion to insure 5% of the population. Something isn't adding up.

Apparently Senate Republicans have implemented a comprehensive political strategy to delay, define and derail any government takeover of healthcare.

Senator Jim Inhofe reminds us: No matter how many times Congress debates it, and no matter how environmentalists couch it, cap-and-trade will do virtually nothing to stop global warming.

The Prime Minister of the UK says that we have 50 days to save the world from global warming!!!

Part of Ben Bernake's plan to "substantially reduce" budget deficits: ask countries like China to get their consumers to spend more.

The Obama administration has come up with a brilliant way to implement another stimulus package: just don't call it a stimulus package and people will never even know!

Barack Obama's stimulus plan subsidizes .... golf carts?

This article from Forbes says that the stimulus bill may be worse than the health care bill when it comes to its effect on our federal deficit.

Healthcare insurance providers in Colorado say that the current healthcare legislation would lead to a "system collapse."

And suddenly .... Sen. Roland Burris becomes relevant. Here's how.

The White House, the media and the art of controlled public messaging.

Iran vows to seek revenge, claiming that a bombing attack of the Revolutionary Guard was carried out by terrorists trained by America and Britain.

I had "energy star compliant" monitors for years and years... but... this sounds about right for government .... the Energy Department has concluded in an internal audit that it does not properly track whether manufacturers that give their appliances an Energy Star label have met the required specifications for energy efficiency. Maybe my old CRTs were killing the environment! Oh noes!

Rahm Emanuel and David Axelrod BOTH said, on the air, "Fox isn't really a news channel, and you guys [other news networks] shouldn't bother with stories they cover."

Frankly the whole issue is a laughable farce to me, but let's not pretend they're not doing what they're doing.[/quote]

Asking other news organizations to not treat Fox news reports as news, but as editorial perspectives, while still agreeing to appear on Fox news interviews and events?

Tekeo said:
There is a wide, wide gap between \"impact\" and \"directly responsible\".

I'm loving how NOW, "crazy, inflammatory statements" are suddenly a cause for the imperial hammer coming down on people, when for the 8 years previous crazy, inflammatory statements, songs, movies and articles ranging from libel and slander to outright advocacy of assassination were protected free speech and "dissent [was] the new patriotism."

You find me a Democratic congressman or national-level pundit calling for armed revolution or assassination in the Bush years, and I will gladly condemn it in the same manner.