Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I mean, I've been about race in here, but let's not forget he also said that gay marriage being legal is worse than slavery.
And simply that having "homosexual relations" should be a criminal act.[DOUBLEPOST=1513178641,1513178548][/DOUBLEPOST]I never understood the logic behind putting gay men in prison for committing homosexual acts, since it is a place where a lot of homosexual acts occur.

The dude praised Russia, was supported by a President who sought Russia's help to get elected (remember Trump actually asked Russia to torpedo Hillary's campaign when he asked them to release the emails they might have found while hacking the American government.)

This is fucking crazy. It's like y'all think Communism was the enemy, not Russia, in the Cold War.

And simply that having "homosexual relations" should be a criminal act.[DOUBLEPOST=1513178641,1513178548][/DOUBLEPOST]I never understood the logic behind putting gay men in prison for committing homosexual acts, since it is a place where a lot of homosexual acts occur.
No, prison is where a lot of rape happens. I mean, I'm sure there's some consensual acts taking place, but let's not confuse sexual assault with homosexual relations.

The dude praised Russia, was supported by a President who sought Russia's help to get elected (remember Trump actually asked Russia to torpedo Hillary's campaign when he asked them to release the emails they might have found while hacking the American government.)

This is fucking crazy. It's like y'all think Communism was the enemy, not Russia, in the Cold War.
Not to mention he was removed from office once, and was about to be a second time when he quit to run for the Senate.

I'm just gonna copy all the allegations against Moore here so you don't have to go to a different site. And seeing the extent of them is sobering.

Leigh Corfman

On November 9, 2017, The Washington Post outlined an account of a woman, Leigh Corfman, who said that Moore initiated a sexual encounter with her in 1979, when she was 14 and he was 32 years old.[18] Corfman said that Moore met her and her mother in the hallway of the county courthouse, where Moore was working as an assistant district attorney, and offered to sit with Corfman while her mother went into a courtroom to testify.[18] Corfman said that during that discussion he asked for her phone number, which she gave him, they later went on two dates, for each date he picked her up in his car around the corner from her house and drove her to his house, and on the first date he "told her how pretty she was and kissed her". On a second date, Moore allegedly "took off her shirt and pants and removed his clothes ... touched her over her bra and underpants ... and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear".

Following the initial report in The Washington Post, Beverly Young Nelson, appearing with lawyer Gloria Allred, said she had received unwanted attention from Moore when she was 15 years old, and said that—in December 1977 or January 1978[23]—when she was 16, Moore sexually assaulted her. Nelson accepted a ride from Moore after she finished work because she "trusted him because he was the District Attorney". She said that Moore stopped the car, began groping her and then tried to force her head into his crotch. She said that when she fought him off, he eventually gave up, but told her, "You're just a child, I'm the district attorney; if you tell anyone about this no one will ever believe you."

Tina Johnson

Tina Johnson, then 28, said that Moore grabbed her buttocks while she was in his law office to sign documents transferring custody of her son to her mother in 1991. Johnson also said that Moore commented on her looks and it made her feel uncomfortable

Wendy Miller

A second woman, Wendy Miller, in the same The Washington Post report, outlined an account about Moore approaching her while she was working at Gadsden Mall as Santa's helper at 14 and later at 16 when he asked her out on dates, which her mother prohibited due to his age.

Debbie Wesson Gibson

A third woman, Debbie Wesson Gibson, in the same The Washington Post report, described Moore asking her out after speaking at her high school civics class when she was 17 and Moore was 34. She said they dated for two or three months, and that this included kisses, but did not say that Moore forced her into any sort of relationship or sexual contact.[18] After Moore denied the relationship, she provided a signed postcard from Moore congratulating her on her graduation from High School

Gloria Thacker Deason

A fourth woman, Gloria Thacker Deason, spoke of dating 32-year-old Moore over several months after meeting him at the Gadsden Mall when she was 18. She said that her dates included bottles of Mateus Rosé wine and tropical cocktails, while the legal drinking age in Alabama at the time was 19. She also stated that the dates were approved by her mother, and included kissing, but did not say that Moore forced her into any sort of relationship or sexual contact.

Kelly Harrison Thorp

Kelly Harrison Thorp claimed Moore approached her asking for a date while she was working at a Red Lobster. She was 17 then and Moore was in his early 30s. Thorp asked if he knew how old she was, and she says that he stated: "I go out with girls your age all the time." Thorp denied his request.

Gena Richardson

Gena Richardson, who is a Republican, stated that Moore started pursuing her when she was a senior in high school, near her 18th birthday.[35] Richardson stated that Moore approached her when she was working in Sears at the Gadsden Mall and asked for her phone number.[35] According to Richardson, after she refused to give Moore her number, Moore called her at her high school and asked her out on a date.[35] Richardson stated that she eventually went on a date with him, and when she started to get out of his car, "he grabbed [her] and pulled [her] in and ... kissed [her]."[35] Richardson said the kiss scared her and described it as "a man kiss — like really deep tongue. Like very forceful tongue. It was a surprise."[35] Richardson's account was corroborated by classmate and Sears co-worker Kayla McLaughlin.

Becky Gray

Becky Gray said she was 22 and working in the local mall when Moore "started coming up to" her, resulting in her repeatedly rejecting his dating offers. She said she "... thought he was 'old'". Gray complained to her store manager after becoming disturbed by Moore's advances.

Allegations by other women

Phyllis Smith, who worked in the local mall, stated that Moore had not approached her personally, but she had seen him talking to other young clerks. She said, "I can remember him walking in and the whole mood would change with us girls ... It would be like we were on guard ... I remember being creeped out." Thus, Smith warned others to "watch out for this guy"

General behavior and alleged ban from mall

A former colleague who worked with Moore at the Etowah County District Attorney's office from 1982 to 1985 stated, "It was common knowledge that Roy dated high school girls, everyone we knew thought it was weird [...] We wondered why someone his age would hang out at high school football games and the mall".[36][37] At least four current and former residents of Etowah County have corroborated the colleague's story. One said, "These stories have been going around this town for 30 years ... Nobody could believe they hadn't come out yet". Another said, "Him liking and dating young girls was never a secret in Gadsden when we were all in high school ... In our neighborhoods up by Noccalula Falls we heard it all the time. Even people at the courthouse know it was a well-known secret ... It's just sad how these girls [who accused Moore] are getting hammered and called liars, especially Leigh [Corfman]."[38]
On November 13, The New Yorker quoted multiple local former police officers and mall employees who had heard that Roy Moore had been banned from the Gadsden Mall in the early 1980s for attempting to pick up teenage girls.[39][40] An Alabama woman said that Moore was banned from the mall in the late 1970s after she reported to her manager that he was sexually harassing her.[41] Local news channel WBRC interviewed Barnes Boyle, a manager of the mall from 1981 to 1998, who said that, to his knowledge, Moore was not banned.[42] The Moore campaign has now produced two other witnesses, a longtime mall employee and the Operations Manager overseeing mall security, both of whom state that he was never banned from the mall.[43]
Faye Gray,[44] a retired detective, who is a 37 year veteran of the Gadsden police force, stated that in the 1980s she was told to look out for Roy Moore due to his known harassment of cheerleaders at local school athletic events. The detective said that she also had heard that Moore had been banned from the Gadsden Mall and also said that both in the police department and at the Gadsden courthouse there were frequent mentions of Moore liking young girls. She said "I didn't realize until sometime later that when they said he liked young girls, I just thought he liked young ladies, you know, maybe in their 20s. I had no idea, or we had no idea, that we were talking about 14-year-olds."[DOUBLEPOST=1513190989,1513190805][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am pretty sure I've hinted in the past who I work for.
Yes, I think you've hinted that you're a corrections officer.

Dave

Staff member
Yes, I think you've hinted that you're a corrections officer.
Now that's a catch-22. If you're right he can't say anything because of privacy and if you're wrong then he can't correct you because that would MAKE him a corrections officer.

(That joke works much better spoken than written out. So say it out loud, not just reading it in your head.)

Now that's a catch-22. If you're right he can't say anything because of privacy and if you're wrong then he can't correct you because that would MAKE him a corrections officer.

(That joke works much better spoken than written out. So say it out loud, not just reading it in your head.)
I think you need to emphasize "That Would Make Him", not just "make"

I have to wonder why none of you are capable of understanding why someone might choose one over the other, knowing all the pieces about each of them that you know.
No, i can understand quite well finding 14-16 year olds attractive.

Actually trying to sleep with them... yeah, no, that's still fucked up.

I also don't understand people my age who say these girls don't look their age. Anyone under 30 looks like a fetus to me.
And then there was the day just acouple years ago I was having lunch with my mother at my regular place. After the friendly waitress left with our order my mother said "she's nice, hint hint hint."

"uh, Mom, she's only eighteen." Like, less than half my age.

In response to TommiR - Moore made the slavery statement at a rally in Florence.

At Moore's Florence rally, the former judge outlined all the wrongs he sees in Washington and "spiritual wickedness in high places." He warned of "the awful calamity of abortion and sodomy and perverse behavior and murders and shootings and road rage" as "a punishment inflicted upon us for our presumptuous sins."
In response to a question from one of the only African Americans in the audience — who asked when Moore thought America was last "great" -- Moore acknowledged the nation's history of racial divisions, but said: "I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery — they cared for one another…. Our families were strong, our country had a direction."
At the same event, Moore referred to Native Americans and Asian Americans as "reds and yellows," and earlier this year he suggested the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks were divine punishment.
Moore tends to prefer his interpretation of Christian Scripture to laws and court orders, which has twice put him out of a job for defying federal court rulings.
It's a popular stance among some voters. After Moore was removed from the Alabama Supreme Court in 2003 for refusing to abide by a federal order to remove a Ten Commandments monument from a state courthouse, voters elected him chief justice again in 2012. Then he was suspended for defying the U.S. Supreme Court's 2015 ruling legalizing same-sex marriage and resigned.

No, i can understand quite well finding 14-16 year olds attractive.

Actually trying to sleep with them... yeah, no, that's still fucked up.
I can't understand either of the two, but that's irrelevant, as I'm sure you understand perfectly, to the point I was making.

I can't understand either of the two, but that's irrelevant, as I'm sure you understand perfectly, to the point I was making.
You know, stienman, you and I hold drastically differing leanings when it comes to things like politics and religion. But I fully understand the message you are trying to convey here, and I wish more people understood it.

Is anyone keeping track of how many times we've claimed here on the forum that the GOP of DNC has, is, or will sink?

No matter what happens to either party they just keep coming back, essentially unchanged.

That's not true. The Dems have gotten better since 2016 and the republicans keep getting worse.
After they jettisoned the Clintons and the top DNC officials who signed away the DNC to the Clintons?

Yes, it has arguably improved since it was crushed into the ground by, of all people, Donald Trump.

Not sure what pride there is in that, but hey, you're technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

Could say the same in reverse for the republicans - start out on a "high note" and yes, it's all downhill. But they are probably stronger now than they were when they were "crushed" by Obama. Twice.

Meh, I don't know why I'm arguing this - my point was that we've had many people make statements similar to "This is the end of the N party" over the last decade in this forum, and yet those parties keep popping back up (like daisies!) regardless of the predictions here.

So the latest "Yeah, this sort of feels like the rats abandoning the ship." and "Trump may ultimately be what sunk it" sound incredibly hollow to me.

What do these statements actually mean, on the ground? What, exactly, is dying? What is "death" when discussing a political party?

Maybe I'm just thinking too much "implosion that leaves nothing left" whereas everyone else is thinking, "Change in party leadership - but not much else"

I dunno. I'm really just procrastinating finding the cause of "Unhandled Exception:
Foundation.MonoTouchException: Objective-C exception thrown. Name: NSInvalidUnarchiveOperationException Reason: *** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver decodeObjectForKey:]: cannot decode object of class (NDAMyClientWouldKillMeIfILetSlipEvenSomethingSoTrivialAsTheClass) for key (NS.objects); the class may be defined in source code or a library that is not linked"

I dunno. I'm really just procrastinating finding the cause of "Unhandled Exception:
Foundation.MonoTouchException: Objective-C exception thrown. Name: NSInvalidUnarchiveOperationException Reason: *** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver decodeObjectForKey:]: cannot decode object of class (NDAMyClientWouldKillMeIfILetSlipEvenSomethingSoTrivialAsTheClass) for key (NS.objects); the class may be defined in source code or a library that is not linked
"
Whatever you're de-serializing from has corruption and/or error. If you can 100% reproduce, see if your serialization function is borked, and/or serialize/deserialize are producing/expecting different things, and one is using a pointer that doesn't mean what it thinks it does.