Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

BTW, I always think the whole idea of the USA saying "nah, that's not OK, we won't recognize them" to anybody else doing a Declaration of Independence kinda hypocritical.
I mean we did that to half our states in the 1860s and it was mostly the right call.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reporting on it: https://globalnews.ca/news/3828392/catalonia-parliament-spain-independence/

BTW, I always think the whole idea of the USA saying "nah, that's not OK, we won't recognize them" to anybody else doing a Declaration of Independence kinda hypocritical. There's times when it's just a few people doing weird stuff, and it shouldn't be supported, but this is not one of those times.
Weeellllll Catalonia isn't exactly a colony. I mean, I think we might consider it differently if this was, say, a Spanish possession in the western hemisphere, but I have to say the situation seems more like an attempt at secession than a colonial revolt, albeit for different reasons than the American Civil War.

I'm not being daft, and you're moving the goalpost. The exact wording of the question is "do you believe discrimination against whites exists in the U.S. today?" And it does.
Right, and, as i've tried to tell you, but you keep ignoring because complexity is bad for ideology, the people who have answered that there isn't are considering the fact that attempts at discrimination against white people are nullified by the advantages they have, as per the quote i provided, and you ignored.

I mean you probably hated someone who bullied you, but i don't think the bully was being very affected by your discrimination of him if that didn't stop him from doing it.

As I said, it is also institutionalized through oft-maligned "affirmative action" policies in hiring and admissions.
And there it is... helping minorities = discrimination against the majority.

Just like when giving women the right to vote you basically halved the voting power of men...

That minorities encounter discrimination more often and to greater effect does not mean that white Americans do not, and that it does not have an impact on their lives. Furthermore, the conversation then morphed to that of racism - which is different than discrimination... one is a belief and the other is a practice. You can bet your ass there is plenty of race-related resentment toward whites from minorities. I've experienced THAT plenty.
Oh, i see, you defne discrimination as simply the want to treat someone badly, even if you're unable... which is silly, because racism is simply discrimination based on race. You can be racist and unable to do anything about it too...

Yes. If I wasn't clear, what I meant was, you can be a racist without actually subjecting someone to discrimination. A belief, vs an action.
Oh, you meant it the other way around... so you do think discrimination can only be judged by it's effects then? Or do you believe you can consider a whole race inferior, but treat them the same as someone who's at the same perceived level as you? I mean do you really interact the same with someone that only has a 4th grade education as you do with someone that has the same education level as you (and i'm not implying it's teh same between races, but that interacting with someone who's race you consider inferior and ending up doing it like with someone you consider at the same level as you should destroy any notion of inferiority you might have - see that black guy that got people to quit the KKK by talking to them)?

Hah, no, what he's attempting to assert is, the racist children DO have positions of power (over the other children).

Because of schoolyard social dynamics and whatnot.

I know, I know. :rolleyes:
Yeah, it completely ridiculous... that's why the poor, unwashed kid making fun of you for your race etc. has the same effect as the popular jock doing it... social interaction between human kids and adults are as different as those between ants and tigers...

Way to pick one sentence from the original post and try to make you totally different point.
Well, it was a sentence i disagreed with... and, if i'm right, it means your whole argument is wrong, so it's not a different point.

And i have, in the same post, made my own argument about why redefining racism as needing power is stupid. The fact that i also disagree with trying to understate the difference between the effect of racism based on how much power the persons that holds racist beliefs has doesn't mean i'm supporting the idea of redefining racism like that.

"Black people can be racist too." isn't a good argument to bring against complaints of racism by white people, and the proper response should be "Anyone can be racist, but efficiency says we 1st deal with the most prevalent racism." Anything else is just falling into the trap of.. well, what Trump has been doing since he started running, giving people too much BS to talk about so that they ignore actually solving anything. Oh, and it actually has a name: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop[DOUBLEPOST=1509183231,1509183053][/DOUBLEPOST]
That pretty much sums up all government, really.
You mean all people.

And if you say "not me", you're lying to yourself. The only way to fight it is to admit you're prone to it, and actively try to understand when you're doing it.

I mean, government is made up of people, it's not some alien beast mind controlling them.

GasBandit

Staff member
Right, and, as i've tried to tell you, but you keep ignoring because complexity is bad for ideology, the people who have answered that there isn't are considering the fact that attempts at discrimination against white people are nullified by the advantages they have, as per the quote i provided, and you ignored.
I would also ignore your assertion that the grass is blue and the sky is green, if you made it, because it's just as incorrect.

And there it is... helping minorities = discrimination against the majority.

Just like when giving women the right to vote you basically halved the voting power of men...
Another falsehood. Equality of opportunity and equality of result are two different things - if everyone has the same right to enter the footrace, that's equality. If everybody has the same right to be the winner of the footrace, regardless of athleticism, that's not. And if a runner gets to use a bicycle because he wasn't allowed to enter the race 150 years ago...

Oh, i see, you defne discrimination as simply the want to treat someone badly, even if you're unable... which is silly, because racism is simply discrimination based on race. You can be racist and unable to do anything about it too...
No, I in fact explicitly said that racism is belief and discrimination is action. Twice.

Yeah, it completely ridiculous... that's why the poor, unwashed kid making fun of you for your race etc. has the same effect as the popular jock doing it... social interaction between human kids and adults are as different as those between ants and tigers...
I'll tell you one thing, I experienced a LOT of racism AND discrimination in middle school. I lived in El Paso at the time, and a lot of the hispanic kids were angry, clannish, and brutal. I heard the words "pinche gringo" more times a day than I heard "open your books to page (number)." So, if you are going to stick to your schoolyard guns about this, I guess you have to agree that racism and discrimination against white people in the US *is* a thing.

GasBandit

Staff member
Remember when a woman challenged racism by refusing to move to the back when told?

Now a woman is being labeled racist for refusing to move to the back when told.

Look fellas, this I can tell you with 1000000% certainty is fucking bullshit.

https://apnews.com/cb57500462dd4286be1817ed81773e82

An arrest warrant has been obtained for actress Rose McGowan for felony possession of a controlled substance.
The felony charge stems from a police investigation of personal belongings left behind on a United flight arriving at Washington Dulles International Airport on Jan. 20. Police say the items tested positive for narcotics. The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police Department obtained the warrant on Feb. 1
You know what tests positive for narcotics? Literally every piece of clothing you've ever worn that's come in contact with paper money. Your wallets, your purses, the pockets of your jeans would test positive for traces of narcotics.

The loudest voices angry about powerful dudes being sexual predators suddenly getting nailed with drug charges, in this case, the shittiest drug charge conceivable? Fuck off.[DOUBLEPOST=1509454456,1509454125][/DOUBLEPOST]Christ, let alone that it was items left behind. The chain of custody problems alone is enough to ignore these items. That this was sent forward enough to issue an arrest warrant is, in my humble opinion, complete fucking bullshit.

That this was sent forward enough to issue an arrest warrant is, in my humble opinion, complete fucking bullshit.
IMO you count as an expert witness on this general topic. You're active law enforcement. How much more of an expert could you get on the "correct" way to handle evidence? The degrees more expert are not important.

You don't need to be humble about this. I trust your opinion on this AS an expert.

IMO you count as an expert witness on this general topic. You're active law enforcement. How much more of an expert could you get on the "correct" way to handle evidence? The degrees more expert are not important.

You don't need to be humble about this. I trust your opinion on this AS an expert.
My only niggle about it is if that story isn't telling the entirety of what happened, which is possible. I'm basing these opinions on 2 paragraphs of an AP article.

It might be, and might not be. I'm sort of siding with Frank that the whole thing smells fishy, but I will admit that the idea that someone from Hollywood getting their hands on narcotics wouldn't shock me either.

Dave

Staff member
Poe's law man. Please be more explicit what you mean.
It's strangely coincidental that someone accusing a powerful man of something gets charges filed against them for something completely unrelated. Kind of tongue in cheek unless it starts to happen to anyone else.