1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion & More!' started by GasBandit, Sep 11, 2009.

1. GasBandit

GasBandit Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    And remember, city-based blanket gun bans are unconstitutional. Chicago and DC have already learned that the hard way. One can only hope NYC is soon to follow.

2. Dei

Dei Always shooting Terrik

Books:
  3. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Upper Crust

Books:
    When does Pyongyang *not* warn of war?

The only difference this time is we have our own two year old in charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Necronic

Necronic Death Jester Staff Member

Media:
    Books:
    Agreed. They always dickwave about wars. At least we have Mattis.

5. Eriol

Eriol Longstanding Member

Books:
    Any actual Koreans on the board? If you're closer to it, I find that they have better information. Similar thing happened when I asked a guy about an India/Pakistan "thing" back in the 2000s, and he was FROM Kashmir, and he was like "oh my parents are saying it's just the same old shit, don't worry." He was right.

6. Eriol

Books:
    Wrath of the Oxford Comma! Lack of Oxford Comma Could Cost Maine Company Millions
    Honestly, I am all for overtime in pretty much every case and therefore I'm in favor of the "spirit" of this ruling, but I can see how the drafters of this law could have meant either, so it's definitely an area of "I dunno" when it comes to how to interpret it.

*puts on flameproof cloak*

Overall, I'm a fan of the Oxford Comma. There. I said it. Now bring out your pitchforks, torches, and knives. ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 5
  7. GasBandit

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
  8. Tress

Tress Always Late

Books:
    There is no such thing as an "Oxford comma." There's just using a comma the right way, or doing a piss-poor job by leaving out the last comma in a list.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. AshburnerX

AshburnerX Resident Boo Radley

Books:
  10. Bubble181

Bubble181 The odd one out

Behind the eyes of a *really* realistic android
    Books:
    This will definitely spark yet another round of more of the same, but, ehhhh. You already draw a distinction somewhere - most people agree about not allowing nukes and tanks for private use. Once you move away from the purely philosophical, it's all a matter of degrees.

11. GasBandit

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    Actually it's a very simple distinction. Does a soldier carry it standard? Then that's what the founding fathers wanted civilians to have.

"weapons that are most useful in military service – M-16 rifles and the like – may be banned" is a bad statement, considering the second amendment was about making the common citizenry able to fight off professional armies. It's not about hunting or home defense.

/ColdDeadHands

12. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    Considering that "weapons most useful in military service" could conceivably include anything from a Ka-Bar to a katana, I see this silliness falling as soon as someone manages to mount a challenge, however who knows how long that will take?

--Patrick

13. GasBandit

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
  14. Terrik

Terrik Protector of Kittehs

Books:
    How dare they gut Greenland. Fuck these people.

15. Bubble181

Books:
    I saw it and immediately thought of the West Wing, too.

I don't necessarily oppose replacing the Mercator projection - it has its uses but also its drawbacks - but replacing it with Gall-Peters just causes a whole other lot of problems. There are far better projections out there, and the best thing would be - especially in higher grades - to just use different projections for different uses.

• Like Like x 1
  16. blotsfan

blotsfan Upper Crust

Books:
    When I was a little kid we learned about how Mercator is shitty, but we stuck with Robinson.

17. GasBandit

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    I think most, if not all of the schools I attended also used Robinson.

And that covers 4 states in 3 time zones.

18. PatrThom

Books:
  19. Krisken

Krisken Elite Forumite

Books:
    Christ, get a globe already. Hell, I bet I can get a good app for one.

20. GasBandit

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    It does occur to me that we are rapidly approaching the point where it could be reasonably expected for a classroom to just be able to project a globe onto a whiteboard interactively.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Bubble181

Books:
    Yes, but how are you going to give children those crappy color-Germany-red, color-France-blue, color-Czechoslovakia-lime-with-a-hint-of-hazel type tests? :p

22. blotsfan

blotsfan Upper Crust

Books:
    Since when do other countries matter? I guess we could do that with states, but that'd be excessive.

23. GasBandit

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    Fun at parties answer: map distortion is less of an issue when you're only displaying one of the continents at a time - especially Europe, the second smallest continent.

24. SpecialKO

SpecialKO Be happy

Books:
    Replacing with Gall-Peters just seems weird. Mercator is a poor choice for a classroom, because you're not actually teaching children to sail across the oceans with a compass, but while I agree with the arguments around the social implications of depicting physical continents inaccurately, Gall-Peters actually addresses that pretty poorly. The only thing is mostly gets right in representation is the area.

If you must go with a flat map instead of a globe, Robinson or Winkel are far superior for-the-classroom projections. Distortion is reasonably reduced, area, shape and distance are reasonably preserved (aside from the poles), and you're not looking at some weird cut-out shape that is just confusing to look at.

25. Covar

Covar It's Clobberin' Time!!!

Books:
    I can't believe this woman is still allowed to teach.

26. evilmike

evilmike One Of Us

Books:
    Perhaps we should have expected this line of questioning from a 'Senator Flake':

Otherwise, the hearing seems to be going really smoothly. Gorsuch appears to be a much better candidate than I would have ever expected to get from the current administration.

27. Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang Contributor

Books:
    This interview is much more telling, and no, he's not a better candidate, I wouldn't want this man ruling on anything concerning regular folks for the next 20-40 years.

28. Dei

Dei Always shooting Terrik

Books:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  29. BErt

BErt I'm a pone tony

Books:
    This...this doesn't seem like a good idea.

30. PatrThom

Books:
    Sure it does.
    Because once some idiot publicly demonstrates his idiocy, it will be something new to be pointed at as an additional reason we should ban guns, rather than banning idiots. I'm sure there are people just praying for something to happen so they can decry it as yet another failure.

--Patrick

31. blotsfan

blotsfan Upper Crust

Books:
    Thats pretty shitty and cynical of you to assume.

I just want it to happen so there can be less Arkansas fans in the world. :awesome:

• Funny Funny x 1
  32. Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe Forum God

Books:
    FTFY

• Like Like x 1
  33. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Upper Crust

Books:
    If you do happen to get shot by an Arkansas football fan, chances are your ER visit won't be covered. The latest amendments to the GOP replacement of the ACA pretty much eliminates health insurance altogether. Almost everything is exempt from coverage, like ER visits, hospitalization, doctor visits, prescription drugs, mental health, etc., etc.

34. Reverent-one

Reverent-one Full Participant

Books:
    In that interview Franken asks a lot of irrelevant questions such as his opinion on congressional Republican's political moves and his opinion on matters he hasn't ruled on, which he can't answer so that he avoids appearing prejudiced in the event he has to rule on a case about them later. Even when talking about a previous case Gorsuch ruled on, an actual relevant line of questioning, he pretty much just makes an appeal to emotion saying that he shouldn't have dissented about what the law means because it would be bad and tries to out-lawyer an actual expert in the law.

Now, that's not to say I hold it against Franken, this is pretty much what confirmation hearings seem to be now a days, congresspeople of the same political party ask softball questions and opposition party members try to get them to say anything to hold against them.

35. Eriol

Books:
    Why wouldn't you hold it against him? If people are doing the bad things, even if it's expected, it's still bad things. Maybe not as bad as doing something innovative and bad, but if the norm is bad, the person is still bad for conforming to it.

I know it's hard to feel angry about it though. Most of our expectations are so low of politicians that we kind of get exhausted about being outraged, or even just angry, but that exhaustion is different than saying "not to say I hold it against" them. You still should hold it against them, but I understand not being able to get very worked up about it, and I would even encourage not getting too worked up too often. Exhausts you for when the truly horrific happens.