Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

That's the stupidest fucking reasoning of all time. Why should insurance ever cover prostate cancer? Why should women pay for that?

The whole concept of insurance is not about being fair, it's about spreading risk over the largest group possible. Even those who supposedly don't need it (or who think they're too good for it).

--Patrick
And yet we're supposed to sympathize with the people whining about paying a little bit more for their insurance that they would still otherwise have instead of the ones who would not have insurance at all.

No reason not to at all. Please go right ahead and tell those people to go fuck themselves.
Those people can definitely go fuck themselves.

What keeps getting me in trouble is telling the people who voted for them, whether they admit to it or not, to go fuck themselves.

What keeps getting me in trouble is telling the people who voted for them, whether they admit to it or not, to go fuck themselves.
I think what keeps getting you in trouble is the implication/accusation that a larger number of people on this forum must have voted for him, though this is probably not the case.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Remember how 5% unemployment under Clinton was a booming economy, then 5% unemployment under GWB was weak economy, then fudging the numbers to get Obama's unemployment down to 8% was a sign of a strong recovery?

The whole jobs/employment report numbers is a complete sham. Everybody cooks the books and puts spin on everything to make any given report say what they want it to say to suit their own needs.

And the envelope for "what can be gotten away with" gets pushed a little more every time.

You're probably right. But the same person writing different things about virtually the same numbers almost exactly a year apart is pretty funny. Maybe I should've posted that in the funny political stuff thread.

GasBandit

Staff member
You're probably right. But the same person writing different things about virtually the same numbers almost exactly a year apart is pretty funny. Maybe I should've posted that in the funny political stuff thread.
It's a pet peeve of mine when it comes to politics, because it's one of the more egregious ways that the government lies to us, bald faced, on a regular basis, in a manner that is easily disproven. And it's really banana-republic level bullshit.

It's a pet peeve of mine when it comes to politics, because it's one of the more egregious ways that the government lies to us, bald faced, on a regular basis, in a manner that is easily disproven. And it's really banana-republic level bullshit.
Don't worry, our current administration is hard at work creating whole new ways to lie to us.

I think what keeps getting you in trouble is the implication/accusation that a larger number of people on this forum must have voted for him, though this is probably not the case.

--Patrick
Just one is too many. :p
And for whoever that one is, this is for you...

(besides, it's too funny not to use somewhere. I'm sure GB will find it useful in the future. :D)

A Mazuku is a natural phenomenon, though. One extremely unlikely to be replicated by artificial means, as most exhaust is expelled in such a way as to try to get it as high up as possible, and disperse as widely as possible, because of the way environmental regulations measure pollution density. Building taller smokestacks and all that stuff.
Well of course they do that, because they know it can be dangerous.

That may be, but I think the main unpleasantness will come from other things well before the CO2 output becomes a factor. After all, I don't think CO2 is the only thing to come out of the furnaces of those places, and when I'm on a busy street choked with cars, it's not the CO2 that makes me roll up the windows and switch the AC to recirculate.

I was actually thinking about that a few days ago at work... i was going to frame it as "sure, there are other things in the smoke/smog that will hurt you faster, but that's no reason to dismiss CO2 completely".[DOUBLEPOST=1489255608,1489255094][/DOUBLEPOST]
The whole jobs/employment report numbers is a complete sham.
Guys, lets elect Gas president... i want to see if he also changes his tune when they're his job numbers...

Tesco Chairman John Allan has declared white males to be an "endangered species" amongst UK boardrooms. For the record here is the Tesco board he's chair off. 75% male, 100% white. :facepalm:

Tesco Chairman John Allan has declared white males to be an "endangered species" amongst UK boardrooms. For the record here is the Tesco board he's chair off. 75% male, 100% white. :facepalm:
Hey, anything under 99% is genocide...[DOUBLEPOST=1489263553,1489263321][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh I guarantee the joblessness rate would increase under my administration... among federal employees!

Ah, i always assumed you'd be doing it like this!

Last edited:

Necronic

Staff member
Someone asked me what the name of the Karl Popper piece was a few weeks ago and then I went AWOL. It's Science: Conjectures and Refutations. Arguably one of the more foundational pieces of work in the Philosophy of Science.

I can't say I know much about their politics, but I know the Nazis lost the Dutch election, and thats good by me.
That's a very not-quite-right and simplistic way of reading the exit polls. But yes, their trump-light is only second-biggest. Alongside the communists.

GasBandit

Staff member
You know, I kinda think healthcare "networks" ought to be considered in violation of antitrust legislation. It's the effect of these networks, the insurance agencies, and the actual health care providers all bouncing off each other in an effort to eliminate market forces from the equation that has led to the widespread acceptance of the false narrative that healthcare cannot be affordable on an individual basis because the margins are now so high and the prices are so inflated. It's easy to see how overinflated it is when you offer to pay a provider cash up front and not involve insurance - suddenly the price drops by an incredible amount.

Have insurance stop being a payment plan for every sniffle and go back to actually being insurance for genuinely expensive situations such as cancer or being hit by a bus - high deductible, low premium - and give them no leverage or input over the decision making process of the Doctor nor allow them to distinguish "in" or "out" of "network." Supplement the setup with employer contributions to HSAs (out of the savings from previously high insurance premiums) to help cover minor issues.

Reintroducing competition to the market, and having the patient now in the payment loop (instead of "my employer pays my premiums, I don't care what anything costs, because for all intents and purposes, it's now 'free' to me so who gives a shit how much it costs or what doctor I go to")... I think you'll see the cost of healthcare suddenly take a nose dive.

Of course, none of this will ever happen. The siren's call of infantilzation via abdication of personal responsibility has already got its barbs into everybody, and I have no doubt that as soon as the pendulum swings away from Trump and the Republicans, we'll have full blown single payer.

The siren's call of infantilzation via abdication of personal responsibility has already got its barbs into everybody, and I have no doubt that as soon as the pendulum swings away from Trump and the Republicans, we'll have full blown single payer.
Just remember that to be true "insurance," the funding for this single payer will have to come from everyone, regardless of their health.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Just remember that to be true "insurance," the funding for this single payer will have to come from everyone, regardless of their health.

--Patrick
Yes, that is what I meant by "full blown single payer."

As in, the Federal government will basically institute another progressive income tax and implement its own "NHS" system.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/16/media/sean-hannity-juan-williams-gun/index.html

So that's cool that he was not only not charged at all, but got to keep his job.

"He's been practicing safe gun handling since he was 11 years old."

But forgot the number one fucking rule of gun handling...YOU DON'T FUCKING POINT A GUN AT ANYONE OR ANYTHING UNLESS YOU INTEND TO USE IT.

Fuck Sean Hannity.
I agree with you, and yet this is in the article too:
"While discussing the issue of firearms, I showed my good friend Juan Williams my unloaded firearm in a professional and safe manner for educational purposes only," Hannity's statement read. "Every precautionary procedure that I have been trained in since the age of 11 was followed. I've had a conceal carry permit in five states for all of my adult life. Any other interpretation of this is outright false reporting."

"This incident is being sensationalized -- everything was under total control throughout and I never felt like I was put in harm's way," Williams' statement read. "It was clear that Sean put my safety and security above all else and we continue to be great friends."
So the "victim" is saying it's fine too. But I absolutely agree don't ever point even an "unloaded" firearm at anything you don't intend to kill/destroy. So... ya, stupid, but if the guy involved as the "victim" doesn't want anything to happen, then it shouldn't... but he was an idiot with a gun too. So who knows?