Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
Pacifists have so sense of self-preservation?
Almost every pop culture depiction of pacifism I've seen shows the only acceptable way to protect yourself is to flee, and violence even in self defense is still violence. Granted, that's all TV/Movies/Video Games, and I've never met an actual pacifist in real life...

There's two important words in that bill: "Negligently" and "unintentionally." Running over a protester on purpose would still be a crime. But hitting one on accident (because, say, you couldn't stop in time) would not.
"Unintentionally" I'll give you. If some idiot jumps out in front of a moving car as part of a protest & gets run over because the driver couldn't stop in time, well...don't jump out in front of cars ya moron! "Negligently" OTOH implies that the driver is at least partially to blame - and should face repercussions based on how severe the accident was & how much to blame they are.

Under that wording, looking at your cellphone (illegally) while driving through a roadblock? Sure you'll get a ticket, but good news, you're off the hook for that mother, brother, father, sister you just maimed/killed.

Dave

Staff member
http://deadstate.org/i-no-longer-ha...d-after-grabbing-a-woman-in-her-genital-area/

A Connecticut Republican politician has been arrested for allegedly grabbing a female in the groin area without her consent.
He said he no longer has to be politically correct, because refraining from sexual assault is apparently a politically correct move. Oh, and before you think this is a matter of "he said, she said":

After reviewing a surveillance video of the incident, police determined that its contents were consistent with the woman’s claims.
Welcome to Trump's America.

Does anyone here know what 'unintentionally' means legally under ND law? I can only find language referring to "intentionally or knowingly", nothing about their lack, so this could be applied in weird-ass ways.

Under that wording, looking at your cellphone (illegally) while driving through a roadblock? Sure you'll get a ticket, but good news, you're off the hook for that mother, brother, father, sister you just maimed/killed.
Assuming 'unintentionally' only applies when the driver is not driving recklessly or negligently (unless one can down a bottle of whisky if they want to legally kill protesters), that would fall under ND's aggravated reckless driving because of a breach of duty to care (which is usually an element of negligence), and either manslaughter (recklessness) or negligent homicide (negligence).

Not to mention that there are already laws protecting motorists from someone purposefully trying to get hit. There's no need to make a law that basically says try to ram those dirty protestors.

Does anyone here know what 'unintentionally' means legally under ND law? I can only find language referring to "intentionally or knowingly", nothing about their lack, so this could be applied in weird-ass ways.

Assuming 'unintentionally' only applies when the driver is not driving recklessly or negligently (unless one can down a bottle of whisky if they want to legally kill protesters), that would fall under ND's aggravated reckless driving because of a breach of duty to care (which is usually an element of negligence), and either manslaughter (recklessness) or negligent homicide (negligence).
Florida white people already get away with shooting someone to death as a first response to almost literally anything, I don't have much doubt that someone will get away with nigh intentional vehicular homicide under the new law. Probably while screaming about PC culture ruining America at the same time.

GasBandit

Staff member
Or, there's always the revolutionary idea of not standing in the street waiting to get run over. Every political disagreement doesn't have to turn random uninvolved people into the tank driver at Tienanmen square.

GasBandit

Staff member
On the flipside, hey, don't run people over.
How about, as a compromise, we create a special area, made recognizable by being made of a certain surface and painted with recognizable patterns of stripes and lines, to indicate where cars are supposed to drive and people are not supposed to walk.

How about, as a compromise, we create a special area, made recognizable by being made of a certain surface and painted with recognizable patterns of stripes and lines, to indicate where cars are supposed to drive and people are not supposed to walk.
That sounds needlessly complicated. It would never work.

And also where birds should drop their nuts.
no, really.

--Patrick

So hey, since there's nothing more cheerful going on today, let's talk about the Yolocaust. The author/creator Shahak Shapira wants to (re)start the conversation about how we deal with our heritage, specifically the Holocaust. People juggling/laughing/kissing/dancing around a memorial that represents 6 million dead, is it ok? Can you take a selfie respectfully? Would you be OK with people doing this at, say, the Vietnam memorial? Or Ground Zero? But how about all those tens of thousands (literally) of memorials around Europe for the fallen in the first and second WW? Are they all significant?

So hey, since there's nothing more cheerful going on today, let's talk about the Yolocaust. The author/creator Shahak Shapira wants to (re)start the conversation about how we deal with our heritage, specifically the Holocaust. People juggling/laughing/kissing/dancing around a memorial that represents 6 million dead, is it ok? Can you take a selfie respectfully? Would you be OK with people doing this at, say, the Vietnam memorial? Or Ground Zero? But how about all those tens of thousands (literally) of memorials around Europe for the fallen in the first and second WW? Are they all significant?
Good to see there a bunch of dipshits out there who have no clue about history or significance beyond their own social media accounts.

At first glance, the behavior of the people highlighted by the project appears horrible, but I think this is mitigated considerably by some of the details about the memorial. The memorial has no weight to it. It's not located at a site specific to the Holocaust. It doesn't house the remains of the victims. It doesn't include the names of the victims. And, it has no history -- it has only been open for 12 years. (Wikipedia)

At first glance, the behavior of the people highlighted by the project appears horrible, but I think this is mitigated considerably by some of the details about the memorial. The memorial has no weight to it. It's not located at a site specific to the Holocaust. It doesn't house the remains of the victims. It doesn't include the names of the victims. And, it has no history -- it has only been open for 12 years. (Wikipedia)
Oh shit, the company that made the anti-graffiti covering for the stones, made Zyklon B for the Nazis.

So if I'm reading what you said & that Wikipedia link right some of the people in these photos might have wandered into the memorial without knowing it's a Holocaust memorial? In which case yes, that's obviously a pretty mitigating factor.

OTOH some of the caps on those photos if added by the people featured make it clear that they did know where they are. That first photo (at time I looked at it - not sure if these photos update periodically) is capped "Jumping on dead Jews @ Holocaust Memorial." Which pushes it back into utterly appalling behaviour.[DOUBLEPOST=1484852013,1484851760][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, you may not want to mouse over those photos if you are feeling sensitive.

So if I'm reading what you said & that Wikipedia link right some of the people in these photos might have wandered into the memorial without knowing it's a Holocaust memorial? In which case yes, that's obviously a pretty mitigating factor.
I believe he's saying the memorial simply isn't affecting these people, and maybe that it is in effect not a "good" memorial, that it doesn't inspire awe, nor encourage contemplation.

Just because someone built the memorial, it doesn't automatically follow that it will be found meaningful.

(I really had to stop myself from making a Field of Dreams reference)

I believe he's saying the memorial simply isn't affecting these people, and maybe that it is in effect not a "good" memorial, that it doesn't inspire awe, nor encourage contemplation.

Just because someone built the memorial, it doesn't automatically follow that it will be found meaningful.

(I really had to stop myself from making a Field of Dreams reference)
And just because you don't instantly feel something doesn't give you the right to jump up and down on it like an asshole. These self-absorbed twits seem to think it's all about how they feel, and don't give a shit about anyone else.

I didn't see it as a joke, honestly. Just an attempt at showing two events with certain similarities in a clever manner.

--Patrick

Necronic

Staff member
Ugh. So apparently the whole "Rock Perry doesn't know what the DoE does" thing is looking like a BS story. I have to be honest this makes me pretty mad.

The worst part about it is that because I have the decency and integrity to say "hey I was wrong" it gives all the assholes who still thump Breibart-ian nonsense to wag their fingers at me. Which, I mean really it's not like I would eat bullshit just because they seem to like the flavor so much, but I hate being held to a standard that others refuse to hold themselves to.

I mean, I don't really mind being held to this standard, it's an important standard and everyone should follow it, I just hate that the people that are going to jump on this and use it for ammunition are some of the biggest consumers of factually innacurate reporting.

Most of all though I FUCKING hate that a major news outlet would do this. It's getting old.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/193

Summary: H.R.193 — 115th Congress (2017-2018)All Bill Information (Except Text)
Shown Here:
Introduced in House (01/03/2017)

American Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2017
This bill repeals the United Nations Participation Act of 1945 and other specified related laws.

The bill requires: (1) the President to terminate U.S. membership in the United Nations (U.N.), including any organ, specialized agency, commission, or other formally affiliated body; and (2) closure of the U.S. Mission to the United Nations.

The bill prohibits: (1) the authorization of funds for the U.S. assessed or voluntary contribution to the U.N., (2) the authorization of funds for any U.S. contribution to any U.N. military or peacekeeping operation, (3) the expenditure of funds to support the participation of U.S. Armed Forces as part of any U.N. military or peacekeeping operation, (4) U.S. Armed Forces from serving under U.N. command, and (5) diplomatic immunity for U.N. officers or employees.