Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I thought the ones purporting to show how Barack Obama and Osama bin Laden were actually the same person were pretty entertaining.

--Patrick

http://americannewsx.com/hot-off-the-press/assanges-october-surprise-jim-wright/

Julian Assange's October Surprise "Clinton Killer" bombshell... is basically troll marketing. Yeah, it turns out that what he was announcing was a new membership program for Wikileaks.

"Assange announced some new initiatives to expand Wikileaks and formation of some vaguely defined private army of peaceniks who will defend his company. He also promised once again that he was going to release some documents “sometime before the end of the year” that would probably, maybe, sort of, have some kind of impact on something-something gazpacho! Real soon now. Probably.
However, Assange sheepishly cautioned both Jones and Stone that the documents “might not” be the big Clinton killer they were hoping for.
He said he was “misquoted” about that."

Alex Jones took it well, ending his live broadcast with "Julian Assange is a Hillary butt plug."

Well he did provide his long form birth certificate suspiciously close to when he killed bin laden...

:rofl:
@Charlie Don't Surf you clicked "I need this explained to me"

I had never heard the osama = Obama conspiracy theories before someone mentioned them here, but once they mentioned it I thought it would be funny to point out that osama's location was known at the same time the long form Obama birth certificate was released. Tying those two things together would perhaps suggest that osama somehow had obama's long form birth certificate and that was the main reason Obama was searching for him, which would only occur if there was some sort of identity mixup or conspiracy, not unlike the one suggested by the earlier post.

It's not a hilarious joke or coincidence, but it's funny enough to link them all together.

But it's a joke, not an accusation or something to take further than mere coincidence.

@Charlie Don't Surf you clicked "I need this explained to me"

I had never heard the osama = Obama conspiracy theories before someone mentioned them here, but once they mentioned it I thought it would be funny to point out that osama's location was known at the same time the long form Obama birth certificate was released. Tying those two things together would perhaps suggest that osama somehow had obama's long form birth certificate and that was the main reason Obama was searching for him, which would only occur if there was some sort of identity mixup or conspiracy, not unlike the one suggested by the earlier post.

It's not a hilarious joke or coincidence, but it's funny enough to link them all together.

But it's a joke, not an accusation or something to take further than mere coincidence.
You're saying they're not the same? I thought he only dared release his long form after disposing of the Osama cover since he didn't need it anymore.

Well, even though they're loathe to admit it in public, it sounds like at least some of the democrats are aware of the grievous damage the healthcare act has caused to the middle class. Bill Clinton let this slip in a Hillary stump speech in Flint, MI:

"So you've got this crazy system where all of a sudden 25 million more people have health care and then the people who are out there busting it, sometimes 60 hours a week, wind up with their premiums doubled and their coverage cut in half. It's the craziest thing in the world," Clinton said.

Bill Clinton calls Obamacare 'the craziest thing in the world,' later tries to walk it back - CNN
https://apple.news/A72RXt6fxTMul10IXl6gVDA

Dave

Staff member
Oops.

I agree with him. The republicans have taken what could have been a good bill and made it worse. And the democrats rolled over and let it happen. Now it's unsustainable.

It describes exactly what happened to me. My premiums quadrupled and coverage was cut to the bare minimum required by the ACA, but in that time I've almost doubled the size of my family, so I'd say my premiums only doubled due to the ACA.

That's the thing about minimums, though. Once someone sets the bottom bar, everyone races down to meet it.[DOUBLEPOST=1475621436,1475621229][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oops.

I agree with him. The republicans have taken what could have been a good bill and made it worse. And the democrats rolled over and let it happen. Now it's unsustainable.
Oh please. The Supreme Court removed the portions which were unconstitutional. If you want to blame someone, blame the authors of the bill for trying to create unconstitutional law.

But even if those portions hadn't been struck the cost and coverage changes for the worse would still have occurred.

Dave

Staff member
It describes exactly what happened to me. My premiums quadrupled and coverage was cut to the bare minimum required by the ACA, but in that time I've almost doubled the size of my family, so I'd say my premiums only doubled due to the ACA.

That's the thing about minimums, though. Once someone sets the bottom bar, everyone races down to meet it.[DOUBLEPOST=1475621436,1475621229][/DOUBLEPOST]

Oh please. The Supreme Court removed the portions which were unconstitutional. If you want to blame someone, blame the authors of the bill for trying to create unconstitutional law.

But even if those portions hadn't been struck the cost and coverage changes for the worse would still have occurred.
The republicans and the lobbyists removed things like single payer or prescription controls. It took a good bill and gutted it before it even got rolling. It's why I say the dems rolled over and let let it happen.

GasBandit

Staff member
It was designed to fail, so that democrats could say "welp, we gave the private sector one last chance (hee hee no we didn't), but gosh darn it, I guess now there's nothing left for it but to go single payer." And it will work out that way, because there is not a single republican willing to commit political suicide to be the guy that pulls that barbed hook out.

The republicans and the lobbyists removed things like single payer or prescription controls. It took a good bill and gutted it before it even got rolling. It's why I say the dems rolled over and let let it happen.
And yet votes were made? I know that zero responsibility is practically the party platform, but at what point is there accountability for knowingly voting on and passing a bad bill?

ITT: "Oh no, we, poor working middle class people, are paying more, so that the actual poor, sick and disabled can actually have health coverage too".

I'm not saying the rates should ahve doubled - that your insurance companies don't work properly is their and your problem. But we, for example, don't have single payer, and our system still works...And is cheaper than what the USA offers, and of higher quality. It has its downsides, too, obviously. And I'm comparing to normal health coverage in the USA, not what the very best can afford. Still. A hobo coming in off the street deserves health care and, you know, "not dying from easily preventable disease", and you, as people who can and do earn money, will have to contribute to it. Deduct the extra from what you give to charity and consider it even, since your increased premiums should be exactly that, insofar as they don't up in corporate pockets - which, of course, overwhelmingly, they do.

Our political and economic system is so broken however, that middle class doesn't mean living comfortably, and that extra medical expense that you brush off can actually be financially devastating. You speak from the POV of someone who doesn't live in our government, and that's fine, but you miss a lot of what the atmosphere is like.

Also, I feel like I have to vote down single payer in Colorado, because I already know what a god damned disaster the state government has already turned economic policy into, and no matter how much it would potentially help people, it will just fuck over plenty of other people in the process.

Everything has a push and a pull here. Fucking with insurance probably isn't the way to fix things, but no one will ever completely gut things and start over, so someone will always get screwed by bad policy.

Try "oh, it looks like my children are no longer going to go to the doctor when we should take them because we can't afford it. My wife and I are choosing to forgo dental care because the company dropped it to pay for our premium increases. "

Clearly we don't deserve it, and when you weigh my health and my children's health against someone else's health and decide where I should spend the money I earned at my job, it's clear I should suck it up and accept that someone else can choose where my money goes than me.

How can I possibly be more selfish with the proceeds of my 2,000 hours of labor each year?

How can I possibly be more selfish with the proceeds of my 2,000 hours of labor each year?
Well, you could squander all of it on your immediate family's needs rather than sponsoring a child in Africa, I guess.
For @Denbrought and others: Because he has callously decided to spend his profits on his family rather than on some family of strangers who show up in commercials that run after the evening news.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I still get insurance through my employer, so I admit ignorance a bit on this topic. Everything I have seen with a short search shows that prices for health insurance have largely benefitted (slower price increases) with the ACA. There does appear to be a lot of variation state to state, however.

I still get insurance through my employer, so I admit ignorance a bit on this topic. Everything I have seen with a short search shows that prices for health insurance have largely benefitted (slower price increases) with the ACA. There does appear to be a lot of variation state to state, however.
I can only speak for Texas rates, I work for a large retailer, my wife for the State. My insurance is technically out of New Jersey, rates went up, deduction went up, amount of coverage changed in favor of the insurance company, more out of my pocket, less from theirs. State lost their insurer, went with another LARGE insurer, rates went up, coverage down, deductible went out roof. That insurer pulled out of Texas, changed to a third insurer in 3 years, rate went up again, coverage and deductible about the same. Net outcome, we lost over $1500 per year out of our pocket. My wife went through 4 doctors in that 3 year time span (she has Lupus), 3 that she lost all stopped practicing medicine. That's how bad it's been for us.

I can only speak for Texas rates, I work for a large retailer, my wife for the State. My insurance is technically out of New Jersey, rates went up, deduction went up, amount of coverage changed in favor of the insurance company, more out of my pocket, less from theirs. State lost their insurer, went with another LARGE insurer, rates went up, coverage down, deductible went out roof. That insurer pulled out of Texas, changed to a third insurer in 3 years, rate went up again, coverage and deductible about the same. Net outcome, we lost over $1500 per year out of our pocket. My wife went through 4 doctors in that 3 year time span (she has Lupus), 3 that she lost all stopped practicing medicine. That's how bad it's been for us.
That does sound, in part, like some unusual circumstances. But insurance rates have always increased. According to what I have read, they increased faster every year before ACA.