Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I've done some inner thought on if I'm getting whipped up in fear of Trump like Fox News makes our grandpas scared of mexicans, but I mean, each time I wonder, I just read raw transcripts of Donald Trump's words

Dave

Staff member
To be sure, I was being tongue-in-cheek commenting about him, but neither he nor his platform strike me as 'batshit insane.' And while I disagree with the whole 'the Left created Trump' argument, this is where I really see where that comes from: you just throw around dishonest insults because you like Obamacare, and he doesn't, therefore he's crazy.
He's for building border walls, has absolutely no idea what to do with international trade, wants to ramp up existing fossil fuel production without any research or improvement in our alternative or renewable sources (he does touch briefly on this page about renewables, but only as an aside), he wants to gut regulatory agencies (because we all know that businesses have our best interests at heart), he wants to privatize public schools (charters) as well as healthcare, he wants to lower the tax rate on everyone without addressing what this would do to the economy - trickle down DOES NOT WORK.

There are a few things that I expected and do not care about (abortion for example) and a few that I agree with (not becoming isolationist and making the military more streamlined and limited civilian contracting.

So yeah, some of it is batshit insane, especially the deregulations and privatization of public schools.

He's for building border walls, has absolutely no idea what to do with international trade, wants to ramp up existing fossil fuel production without any research or improvement in our alternative or renewable sources (he does touch briefly on this page about renewables, but only as an aside), he wants to gut regulatory agencies (because we all know that businesses have our best interests at heart), he wants to privatize public schools (charters) as well as healthcare, he wants to lower the tax rate on everyone without addressing what this would do to the economy - trickle down DOES NOT WORK.

There are a few things that I expected and do not care about (abortion for example) and a few that I agree with (not becoming isolationist and making the military more streamlined and limited civilian contracting.

So yeah, some of it is batshit insane, especially the deregulations and privatization of public schools.
Nothing you have described strikes me as insane, I guess. It all seems like "things I disagree with."

Dave

Staff member
Trickle down economics has been tried several times. It does not work. What's the definition of insanity again?

Trickle down economics has been tried several times. It does not work. What's the definition of insanity again?
Maybe my understanding of trickle-down economics is wrong, but what he outlines does not sound like trickle-down to me. It just sounds like fiscal conservatism.

Dave

Staff member
Maybe my understanding of trickle-down economics is wrong, but what he outlines does not sound like trickle-down to me. It just sounds like fiscal conservatism.
Which means these days that we cut taxes on the "job creators" as well as deregulation. Which shows an ignorance of how businesses actually work. In the past, businesses considered their overall value to that which brings the greatest benefit to the STAKEholders. Stakeholders include the board and shareholders, but also included the community, employees, and customers. That is no longer the primary concerns of businesses. Now the prevailing belief is that they only have a duty to perform for the shareholders, which is what has contributed mightily to the income inequality we are seeing today at historic levels. And this viewpoint only started in the 1980's. It was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Some light reading on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareholder_value

https://hbr.org/2009/07/shareholders-first-not-so-fast

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...rs/corporations-dont-have-to-maximize-profits

http://www.forbes.com/sites/keldjensen/2013/03/18/to-hell-with-shareholder-value/#7380fa986e21

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-shareholder-value-wrecked-american-business/

GasBandit

Staff member
So... manufactured? A figment of my imagination? A product of some mental defect like rage or unhappiness?

It's sad. :facepalm:
Yes, incompetence and petulance are sure signs that he is literally hitler reborn, and not just a bad candidate.

/hysteria

But as for Dave's windmill, Reaganomics hasn't done half to our economy what crony capitalism has - privatized profit with socialized risk.

Yes, incompetence and petulance are sure signs that he is literally hitler reborn, and not just a bad candidate.

/hysteria

But as for Dave's windmill, Reaganomics hasn't done half to our economy what crony capitalism has - privatized profit with socialized risk.

Hitler....REBORN!

BXV93KQ.jpg

GasBandit

Staff member
Not what I meant. Was referring to other conversations from yesterday.
So was I.

Look, I share most of your reasonable concerns about Trump. He's clearly an incompetent, self-centered man-child whose only motivation to power is self-aggrandizement. He clearly has terrible ideas and reprehensible policies. I would never in a million years vote for him.

But the darwin stuff is just beyond the pale. That he's the next hitler. That every last one of his supporters are all barely-closeted wehrmacht. THAT is what is manufactured.

That every last one of his supporters are all barely-closeted wehrmacht.
Obviously it's not everyone and equating people to Hitler isn't right, but you have to agree that there are some concerning parallels and I can't think of a candidate that has so much support from the white supremacists since George Wallace.

GasBandit

Staff member
Obviously it's not everyone and equating people to Hitler isn't right, but you have to agree that there are some concerning parallels and I can't think of a candidate that has so much support from the white supremacists since George Wallace.
Yes, I was using hyperbole to drive the point. And yes, he's had some lousy ideas. Also I think you've forgotten David Duke's 90s campaign.

Dave

Staff member
Trump guy on my facebook thinks that stop & frisk isn't racist, even after giving him stats on S&F demographics vs. city population. Then he said this.

Afterwards, he said he "couldn't care less" if I called him names, and that he wasn't racist because he got along with black people and hispanics at work.

Dave

Staff member
At this point he deserves nothing less than Cracked. I'm not going to try and use carefully researched stuff that he'll ignore because "blacks is bad".

GasBandit

Staff member
Trump guy on my facebook thinks that stop & frisk isn't racist, even after giving him stats on S&F demographics vs. city population. Then he said this.

Afterwards, he said he "couldn't care less" if I called him names, and that he wasn't racist because he got along with black people and hispanics at work.
So basically, this isn't really about the 4th amendment's protections against unreasonable search and seizure (which should make all other points about the practice of "stop and frisk" moot), nor the 2nd amendment's assertion of the individual right to keep and bear arms, but what this facebook debate is coming down to, is you believe racial profiling is racist regardless of documented crime statistics showing that black people do, in fact, disproportionately commit more crimes per capita.

So basically, this isn't really about the 4th amendment's protections against unreasonable search and seizure (which should make all other points about the practice of "stop and frisk" moot), nor the 2nd amendment's assertion of the individual right to keep and bear arms, but what this facebook debate is coming down to, is you believe racial profiling is racist regardless of documented crime statistics showing that black people do, in fact, disproportionately get convicted of crimes per capita.
Fixed

GasBandit

Staff member
http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-commit-crime/19439

Summary:
*There is evidence in the official police-recorded figures that black Americans are more likely to commit certain types of crime than people of other races.
*While it would be naïve to suggest that there is no racism in the US criminal justice system, victim reports don’t support the idea that this is because of mass discrimination.
*Higher poverty rates among various urban black communities might explain the difference in crime rates, although the evidence is mixed.

Well, I'd imagine that since African-Americans have a much higher rate of poverty than white Americans, they have a much higher rate of crimes associated with being poor - shoplifting, burglary, assault, drug possession, drug dealing, armed robbery, grand theft auto, etc. Desperation makes some people do things that they otherwise wouldn't do. That doesn't excuse it, but it does play into why it happens.

GasBandit

Staff member
This could be split several different ways, of course. I mean, I'm sure the White/Black ratio of, say, embezzlement tilts much harder in the other direction.

--Patrick
Generally, embezzlement doesn't involve the use of something that would be caught by a random police check on the street, though... especially not a firearm.

Dave

Staff member
Generally, embezzlement doesn't involve the use of something that would be caught by a random police check on the street, though... especially not a firearm.
Which is exactly why black crime rates are higher. It's not because they do more crime, it's because they are more heavily scrutinized. They don't stop old white guys in cars so the pound of weed in my trunk would go unnoticed. (If I did, in fact, have said weed.)