Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Dave

Staff member
When one side revels in anti-science and dumbing down, is it a surprise that the other touts their education? But I do agree the SJWs that harp on inclusion and diversity often do so while flying in the face of how those poor minorities feel. Like cultural appropriation. White SJWs get up in arms about that while in most cases the minorities themselves don't care. Like Indian people don't care if a white woman wears a sari. People confuse admiration as appropriation.

But back to liberalism, it's a case of the people in the party calling themselves liberals when they are essentially centrists with a cause. Which is why the progressing wing of the democratic party is often ignored.

(But they are still better than the republicans who have shown their true colors [no pun intended] this election cycle.)

Oh, so they can and Northwestern's sports teams can't?
I think the fundamental issue here is that the graduate students ARE getting compensation from the school beyond help with their tuition. This makes them employees and legally changes their relationship with the school. So if you REALLY wanted to help the Northwestern sports teams, you'd be getting them a paycheck and THEN they could unionize.

Why do the courts need to give you permission to form a union? Isn't it just a bunch of people joining up to negotiate as a block?

Dave

Staff member
Why do the courts need to give you permission to form a union? Isn't it just a bunch of people joining up to negotiate as a block?
Sort of. Right now if they try and unionize there's nothing to stop the business from saying, "Nope. And you're all gone." This makes it so they have protections from retaliation while trying to unionize, but also puts them under tighter scrutiny and rules for said unionization actions.

Social healthcare failure story:

http://www.kwwl.com/story/32850545/...er?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KWWL[DOUBLEPOST=1472241550,1472241429][/DOUBLEPOST]Though, keep in mind that if this story were in the US it would simply be, "Family too poor to house both parents in facility where both their needs can be met."[DOUBLEPOST=1472241663][/DOUBLEPOST]On the other hand, if the US does embrace a single payer system, and social security gets funded, then maybe I should stop planning for my future and working so hard to save. I'm sure the economy can do without the extra GDP I personally generate solely to provide for my future. It's only a fraction of the work I do to provide for my current needs anyway.

Dave

Staff member
So your money is going to be soggy, have gunpowder residue, and then dried off? That's weird. I'd invest it.

If we live to see some prepper's wildest SHTF fantasies come true, dollar bills will be cheaper than toilet paper, so just save your money and that will be taken care of.

Conservative news personalities talk about how Conservative Media is devouring itself.

The hole in Coulter's argument is that while there are other outlets that belong to the conservative media apparatus, they lack the influence of the hard right. The National Review or Weekly Standard might earn the eyeballs of elites in Washington, but those in the heartland seem to prefer the style of the more aggressive pro-Trump outlets.

That has left conservatives who oppose Trump in a tricky position when trying to get their message to supporters. No longer can Ryan or Cruz turn to Hannity for a softball interview. They can't work with Breitbart or rely on Drudge to help with their legislative agenda.

These Republicans have effectively been exiled from the conservative news media, leaving them with a problem.

"They don't have any place to go. How else do you get your message out? You can't do it in the mainstream. This is the way you reach conservatives," Ziegler said. "We have taught conservatives for many years to trust nothing other than what they hear in conservative media. Yet the conservative media has now proven to be untrustworthy."

So... only trust Breitbart, who admittedly just make shit up as red meat for the most wingnut among them?

:rofl:
Basically. The fringe gained legitimacy because conservative media was in such dire straights, but no one ever considered what would happen once the fringe no longer needed the mainstream. Now everything hitting the media is alt-right flavored and the mainstream, establishment guys can't do shit. And it's all their fault.

Leftist media simply becomes boring or kooky when it's at it's worst. Conservative media has become downright self-destructive.

Breitbart has it's biases, they do publish something of value from time to time (same could be said of all news). Left wing lunacy seems to be shifting the younger folk towards the center or the right, wouldn't be surprised if the pendulum does a hard swing in the next couple of decades.

Breitbart has it's biases, they do publish something of value from time to time (same could be said of all news). Left wing lunacy seems to be shifting the younger folk towards the center or the right, wouldn't be surprised if the pendulum does a hard swing in the next couple of decades.
That's debatable. The presence of young, loud alt-right people has as much to thank for the anonymity of the internet as it has to any change in political message. Ultimately, however, those young people aren't voting any more than the young leftists.

That's debatable. The presence of young, loud alt-right people has as much to thank for the anonymity of the internet as it has to any change in political message. Ultimately, however, those young people aren't voting any more than the young leftists.
Not voting yet anyways, but if the left continues to dismiss the right's message, the alt-right will only continue to grow. The divisive politics in America has gone on too long I think, people need to progress past this tribal bias of us vs. them and establish a better rapport, because I'm seeing civil war on the far horizon here. I'll take a wild guess and say that libertarianism is going to increase in popularity as well, though not anytime soon.

So what should we do with the idea that non-white people are less important? Legitimize it?
You are fully capable of discussing ideas and topics without having to concede that they are correct. I've found that people are willing to engage you on your own ideas, when you've proven to them that you are listening to theirs.