Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Its a common last name for white people.
It comes from "ander" and "son". "Ander" is German and Dutch, meaning "other". It means "this is some other guy's son". Which is more likely and accepted amongst people with libertine and libertarian leanings, which is, of course, genetic and thus produces likeminded offspring.

What things does government subsidize? What things have huge competition?

Also readable as "what can be outsourced or automated, and what needs a lot of quality human work?". Pretty much everything under the line is "made in China" (or w/e) or completely computerized. Everything over the line requires a local, educated workforce.

What I want to know is, with technology advancing and becoming cheaper, why is a TI-83 graphing calculator still 100 goddamn dollars?

What I want to know is, with technology advancing and becoming cheaper, why is a TI-83 graphing calculator still 100 goddamn dollars?
Because it's Texas Instruments, Texas has the largest school districts in the country, TI gives Texas a discount on prices in order to basically corner the market. It's just one hand washing the other.

Good thing my husband and I still have ours from 20 years ago and they haven't actually changed at all. :/

What really kills me is that they are trying to convince parents to buy them for algebra/geometry/trig when I know that I didn't "need" it until pre-calc. And even then, 99% of the time I just used it to play Drug Wars. >.>

Good thing my husband and I still have ours from 20 years ago and they haven't actually changed at all. :/

What really kills me is that they are trying to convince parents to buy them for algebra/geometry/trig when I know that I didn't "need" it until pre-calc. And even then, 99% of the time I just used it to play Drug Wars. >.>
I'm a REAL rebel. I use a CASIO fx-9750GII. Too bad all the textbooks only include instructions for TI calculators.

I saw this on social media. What the hell is the measure here?
I've wondered the same. "TVs" have fallen to 5% of their price from 20 years before - I dare you to even find a similar/same tv from back then. The "average" TV now is probably cheaper than the average in '96, but not 1/20th the price. Same goes for "cellphone service" - does that compare average cellphone plans, or the same plan? Because a plan offering 2 hours of calls a month, no text and no data was obvious and ok in '96 but is tiny and highly limited by today's standards.

Obama Justice Department Joins The Fight Against America’s Bail Industry

Fixed bail schedules that allow for the pretrial release of only those who can pay, without accounting for ability to pay and alternative methods of assuring future appearance, do not provide for such individualized determinations, and therefore unlawfully discriminate based on indigence. Under such bail schemes, arrestees who can afford to pay the fixed bail amount are promptly released whenever they are able to access sufficient funds for payment, even if they are likely to miss their assigned court date or pose a danger to others. Conversely, the use of such schedules effectively denies pretrial release to those who cannot afford to pay the fixed bail amount, even if they pose no flight risk, and even if alternative methods of assuring appearance (such as an unsecured bond or supervised release) could be imposed. Such individuals are unnecessarily kept in jail until their court appearance often for even minor offenses, such as a traffic or ordinance violation, including violations that are not punishable by incarceration.
You can view the whole brief here.

Someone has dredged up a 2008 video of Obama criticizing Bush for not being on the ground during the Katrina response. Not the first time he's been caught on camera criticizing the prior administration for something he did later during his administration. Just another data point.

GasBandit

Staff member
More Hillary lies - She turned over all work related emails? FBI recovered fifteen thousand more. To begin releasing them in October. Probably too much to hope for that the smoking gun will be in amongst there, but how many thousands of e-mails does someone have to shred/hide/delete/wipe, really?

I've said it before (many times, over the years) and I'll say it again... that Hillary Clinton is not in prison is the most damning evidence of the complete failure of our judicial system.

Someone has dredged up a 2008 video of Obama criticizing Bush for not being on the ground during the Katrina response. Not the first time he's been caught on camera criticizing the prior administration for something he did later during his administration. Just another data point.
What part of THE GOVERNOR SAID STAY AWAY don't you understand? I haven't finished my coffee yet, so I'm not going to get into what Dubya did or didn't do, but the official position of the State of Louisiana RIGHT NOW, is he needs to stay out of their way.

:facepalm:

Dave

Staff member
But Trump went there!

(This, by the way, is from a REALLY partisan website. Not saying it's not true, just that it's not facts that I've corroborated.)

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/do...ctually-went-to-an-anti-gay-hate-group/25798/

And, yes, he did "donate" more supplies. Mostly for displaced kids, which I can not fault. I say "donate" because it's not clear as of yet where the items came from.

Just a little left-wing fuckery to fill your Monday night.

What part of THE GOVERNOR SAID STAY AWAY don't you understand? I haven't finished my coffee yet, so I'm not going to get into what Dubya did or didn't do, but the official position of the State of Louisiana RIGHT NOW, is he needs to stay out of their way.

:facepalm:
I don't know why I bothering to respond to your criticism of my post, you still don't seem to understand that I'm not suggesting he visit the state, I'm more interested in provoking those people who, like Obama, hated bush for not visiting and loved Obama for not visiting.

You seem particularly provoked, do you feel you held bush to a different standard than you hold Obama to?

I don't know why I bothering to respond to your criticism of my post, you still don't seem to understand that I'm not suggesting he visit the state, I'm more interested in provoking those people who, like Obama, hated bush for not visiting and loved Obama for not visiting.

You seem particularly provoked, do you feel you held bush to a different standard than you hold Obama to?
IDGAF what Bush did or didn't do. That's a decade old argument that in not interested in getting into.

What you're doing is what the right has been doing for the last eight years. Attacking Obama for anything and everything. No matter what moves he makes, it's the wrong one. Even when backed by indisputable facts, Obama is always in the wrong just by being Obama.

I'd expect as much from the noise machine and the white hood crowd. Not from you. I thought you were above this. Guess I was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry that the Obama of 2008 is criticizing the Obama of 2016. I can see how that would be painful.

In the whole scheme of things this one minor hypocrisy isn't important, I just thought it interesting that it wasn't just "the left" that castigated bush, Obama went out of his way to call bush out.

At any rate, while I still don't think you grasp my point it's really not important enough to argue over.

Other things that are different about Katrina and the current situation:

During Katrina, FEMA didn't coordinate with state and local emergency crews, didn't deliver the supplies they were responsible for delivering, made requisitions on resources that weren't available, and in general failed on essentially aspect of rescue and emergency response. In the current situation, FEMA is coordinating with state and local emergency crews, is delivering the resources they are supposed to, and are being an asset instead of a burden.

During Katrina, 2 days after the levees broke, while most of the Lower Ninth Ward was under water and people were literally dying in the emergency shelter in the Superdome, Bush commended Michael Brown, his appointed head of FEMA. "Brownie's doing a hell of a job." A week later Brown was pressured to resign for gross incompetence.

During Katrina, Bush had already been on vacation for 29 days. Obama is in the middle of a scheduled 14 days, which is cutting short to visit on Tuesday, now that the situation has stabilized. The governor literally asking him to not visit until now, as his presence would strain badly needed emergency response crews when they were needed most.

During Katrina, the National Guard was overwhelmed so to "keep order" Blackwater Security Company were deployed to New Orleans. Blackwater was owned by Erik Prince, a friend of Bush's (Prince was a White House intern under Bush I) and New Orleans was part of nearly $2 billion in contracts that the Bush White House gave to Blackwater. You may recall Blackwater from their war crimes in Iraq. Erik Prince, by the way, is currently under investigation for money laundering, suspected dealings with Chinese Intelligence and brokering military services to foreign governments such as Libya and South Sudan. Erik Prince's current organization, Frontier Services Group, is backed by the Chinese state-owned CITIC group and is used to help arrange Chinese investment in African fossil fuel resources.

So, you know, some differences in the situation.

But... but... OBAMA!![DOUBLEPOST=1471931784,1471931622][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm sorry that the Obama of 2008 is criticizing the Obama of 2016. I can see how that would be painful.

In the whole scheme of things this one minor hypocrisy isn't important, I just thought it interesting that it wasn't just "the left" that castigated bush, Obama went out of his way to call bush out.

At any rate, while I still don't think you grasp my point it's really not important enough to argue over.
It was important enough to derail a help those flooded out thread.

I gave. How about you?