Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Snowden necessarily traded information to China and Russia in order to make his escape effective.

Making some of the stuff public is fine, but using the information as currency to stay out of jail, particularly since we can guess that Russia wasn't paid in small secrets, is something that still tells me Snowden isn't doing the world as big a favor as his fawning disciples would like us to believe.
True. But if he hadn't made the arrangements he did, he almost certainly would have disappeared under the cover of night and tried in a secret court where none of the information he wanted made public would have been revealed. We wouldn't have heard a thing about prism if the government had its way, and that's what they're really upset about.

Snowden necessarily traded information to China and Russia in order to make his escape effective.

Making some of the stuff public is fine, but using the information as currency to stay out of jail, particularly since we can guess that Russia wasn't paid in small secrets, is something that still tells me Snowden isn't doing the world as big a favor as his fawning disciples would like us to believe.
Except he wouldn't have had to flee in the cover of night if he didn't have to face actually disappearing at the hands of the US Government. But if our own government could be trusted to handle such things openly and fairly, we wouldn't have had PRISM and the exposure of such state secrets wouldn't have been necessary. Ultimately, any intelligence lost to the Chinese and Russians is on the heads of the government itself: nothing would have been exposed if they hadn't forced him to run for his life, he wouldn't have exposed anything if they hadn't done anything wrong, and he wouldn't have been in a position to expose anything if they had properly vetted him to begin with.

No. I'm not angry, or crazy, or whatever you mean by "mad" - I just figure the NSA is going to erase his existence from all the records.

Assange, Wikileaks, Luxleaks, Panama Papers, Swissleaks,... there have been, and will be, a dozen other whistle blowers or people who expose secrets - some good, some bad. I'm sure there'll be a nice movie, based on real events, made of his life some day. I'm also fairly sure he won't be considered this generation's Lincoln or MLK.

Some people are now claiming the Republican candidate will be Nikki Haley - if Trump fails to get the required amount of delegates. It would seem the Republicans could do worse, but....Wha?

Some people are now claiming the Republican candidate will be Nikki Haley - if Trump fails to get the required amount of delegates. It would seem the Republicans could do worse, but....Wha?
Some people are just placing long-shot bets, with the payout being they can look all smart and shit for years to come.

Dave

Staff member
Man, New York is fucking up bigtime when it comes to the primaries. Lots of horror stories coming out. Seems to be the big story this year - nearly every state has been fuckup after fuckup. Odd how most of them are in Hillary's favor.

Man, New York is fucking up bigtime when it comes to the primaries. Lots of horror stories coming out. Seems to be the big story this year - nearly every state has been fuckup after fuckup. Odd how most of them are in Hillary's favor.
It's almost like the primary system is designed to fail in close elections so party bosses can pick someone instead.

campaignmanual.jpg

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Hey, she gave the people a chance to pick the right person 8 years ago. They didn't cooperate, so this time she's making sure.

GasBandit

Staff member
How to champion a progressive cause without being a douchebag hypocrite:

Joel McHale does not cancel his North Carolina performance, but rather performs while wearing a pro LGBT shirt, addressing the issue and stating his position during the act, and donating all proceeds to the LGBTQ Center of Durham. :thumbsup:

Bryan Adams, however, does cancel his Mississippi concert, saying “I cannot in good conscience perform in a state where certain people are being denied their civil rights due to their sexual orientation"... coming fresh off a concert in Egypt last month, where apparently he had no objections to performing in a nation where it is still de facto illegal to be LGBT. :thumbsdown:

How to champion a progressive cause without being a douchebag hypocrite:

Joel McHale does not cancel his North Carolina performance, but rather performs while wearing a pro LGBT shirt, addressing the issue and stating his position during the act, and donating all proceeds to the LGBTQ Center of Durham. :thumbsup:

Bryan Adams, however, does cancel his Mississippi concert, saying “I cannot in good conscience perform in a state where certain people are being denied their civil rights due to their sexual orientation"... coming fresh off a concert in Egypt last month, where apparently he had no objections to performing in a nation where it is still de facto illegal to be LGBT. :thumbsdown:
You can't expect a man who recorded the main song for Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves to have any sense of irony or decency.

GasBandit

Staff member
You can't expect a man who recorded the main song for Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves to have any sense of irony or decency.
My favorite twitter retort on the subject was "Once again, Bryan Adams hasn't done anything that Springsteen hasn't done already."

GasBandit

Staff member
So New York's primary went overwhelmingly to Trump and Hillary.

No surprise there. New York's always been "Part of the problem," it's practically their state motto.

Somehow, though, it seems kind of unbalanced that Trump will get 89 delegates for 500k votes that's less votes than he got in Texas (750k votes which got him 48 delegates... Cruz won with 1.2 million votes and got 104 delegates)

An audit has been called for due to the large numbers of irregularities in the NY election... and a Clinton delegate will be in charge of it.

Hmm. Just hmm.

GasBandit

Staff member
An audit has been called for due to the large numbers of irregularities in the NY election... and a Clinton delegate will be in charge of it.

Hmm. Just hmm.
"We have concluded our investigation of ourselves and have found no wrongdoing." Right?