Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
Wow man, just heard this from Trump:

"These people aren't like us, they don't follow laws. I would support water boarding"

I mean...wtf.
That's like his third flip-flop on waterboarding. He said "we should waterboard" then said "of course I'd never condone waterboarding since the it is prohibited by our treaties" and I guess now he's back to being pro-waterboarding. He doesn't bother with anything like truth or fact or even the maintenance of a consistent narrative... he just says what he thinks will get the biggest reaction at the moment. Whether that's because he's incapable of perceiving reality or he's merely the most adept manipulator in living memory who knows he's teflon, I couldn't say.

That's like his third flip-flop on waterboarding. He said "we should waterboard" then said "of course I'd never condone waterboarding since the it is prohibited by our treaties" and I guess now he's back to being pro-waterboarding. He doesn't bother with anything like truth or fact or even the maintenance of a consistent narrative... he just says what he thinks will get the biggest reaction at the moment. Whether that's because he's incapable of perceiving reality or he's merely the most adept manipulator in living memory who knows he's teflon, I couldn't say.
He's just adept at riding/nudging public opinion.

--Patrick

He's against waterboarding for Real True Good Americans Who Never Did Nothing Wrong.
He's in favor of waterboarding All Those Filthy Foreigners Who Want To Steal And Rape.

It's really quite simple.

Necronic

Staff member
I think he just realized that his supporters are fucking dangerous morons and he can say anything he wants as long as it appeals to their bloodthirsty xenophobic and ignorant as fuck narrative.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think he just realized that his supporters are fucking dangerous morons and he can say anything he wants as long as it appeals to their bloodthirsty xenophobic and ignorant as fuck narrative.
Trump himself brazenly said his supporters were so loyal he “could stand in the Middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn’t lose any voters.”

That's our Bubble, bored during a terrorist uprising.
Well, it's not like I'm going to catch them myself :p TV and radio are just endlessly repeating the same 5 talking points, people only have one topic of conversation, and pretty much all social gatherings and so on have been cancelled, so....Yeah.

As an aside, though, it's a horribly busy day tonight at work. We've already had quite a few break ins and thefts and so on - the amount of people who figure "police have other stuff on their mind, this is the time to go burgle some places!" is astounding. Idiots. Well, not idiots, because they're right, but still. Jackasses.

Because this felt like it belonged here a bit more than the game forum...

1979 Revolution: Black Friday is an adventure game in the vein of Telltale's numerous titles, set during the Iranian Revolution. Looks pretty cool.

GasBandit

Staff member
“I’m supposed to feel comfortable and safe [here],” one student said. “But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well … I don’t deserve to feel afraid at my school,” she added.

YOU DESERVE NOTHING. YOU ARE OWED NOTHING. YOU ARE NOT A CHILD ANY LONGER, ALL YOU GET IS WHAT YOU CLAW AWAY FROM A HOSTILE WORLD AND JEALOUSLY KEEP HIDDEN FROM THE MULTITUDES WHO WANT TO TAKE IT FROM YOU. COMFORT IS A LUXURY THAT COMES FROM TOIL AND CLEVERNESS, AND APPARENTLY YOU LACK IN BOTH.

Gotta love these articles. LOOK AT THESE CARAAAAZY COLLEGE STUDENTS! THEYRE JUST SO RIDICULOUS! NOW WE CAN DISREGARD STUDENTS THAT BRING UP REAL ISSUES BECAUSE THEYRE CLEARLY ALL CODDLED! I BLAME PARTICIPATION TROPHIES!

Gotta love these articles. LOOK AT THESE CARAAAAZY COLLEGE STUDENTS! THEYRE JUST SO RIDICULOUS! NOW WE CAN DISREGARD STUDENTS THAT BRING UP REAL ISSUES BECAUSE THEYRE CLEARLY ALL CODDLED! I BLAME PARTICIPATION TROPHIES!
And that's the other side of it.

But sex scandals are like the one thing they actually get sometimes.

Honestly though I'm not sure it really matters if its real or not. It probably kills him regardless.

That's generally what happens when people cry wolf, yes.

Like it killed Bill Clinton?
Yeah, even I have to admit Bill got hit with a double standard. Presidents have ALWAYS engaged in this sort of thing (Kennedy was especially bad) so it's not like the public didn't know this sort of thing was going on. But somehow Bill was able to make the entire thing look like a personal problem and not a presidential one, so a large swath of the public just... gave zero fucks about it all. Even now Bill is regarded as one of our better presidents DESPITE the sex scandal that ate up so much of his second term. Fuck, his WIFE came out looking so good from the whole ordeal she was able to become a senator, a cabinet member, and a two-time Democratic nominee for President and her dealings make her look like a fucking mob boss compared to Bill. Democrats just don't give a shit about this stuff.

But if a Republican had done it? His ass would have been toast in a month. But that's what you get when you run on a social conservatism platform.

GasBandit

Staff member
Fuck, his WIFE came out looking so good from the whole ordeal she was able to become a senator, a cabinet member, and a two-time Democratic nominee for President and her dealings make her look like a fucking mob boss compared to Bill. Democrats just don't give a shit about this stuff.
I think that was less "came out looking so good" and more "got rewarded by the DNC for not divorcing Bill."

I think that was less "came out looking so good" and more "got rewarded by the DNC for not divorcing Bill."
Maybe, but people still had to vote for her.

Say what you will about the actual reality of their marriage and politics, Hillary stood by his dumb ass when it would have been convenient and less humiliating to separate... and for Bill's part, he's done EVERYTHING he could to support her goals since. I don't know if there is any romance between them anymore but they clearly love each other enough to do whatever it takes for both of them to succeed.

GasBandit

Staff member
Now, now...you know NYC was holding out for "President Cuomo."

--Patrick
Hah, actually, she ALMOST did have credible competition, not from Cuomo but from the other NYC "big name," Giuliani. But as Wikipedia puts it ever-so-charitably, his "medical, romantic, marital, and political lives all collided in a tumultuous four-week period, culminating in his withdrawing from the race."

Funny how that sort of thing tends to happen.

Dave

Staff member
The biggest difference between a Cruz sex scandal and a Clinton one is the fact that Clinton was not a "JESUS SAVES ALL YOU SINNERS!" candidate. Cruz is so smugly religious and holier than thou it's hilarious to see his hypocrisy written large in the media. Clinton was a known horn-dog so it wasn't a surprise.