Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Nah, back when he came to power, the European left loved him as he (well, his party) was "proof" that a democracy could work in a modern Muslim country; his party was pretty much equated with the Muslim variety of the Christian-democratic parties which ruled most of Europe at the time - somewhat conservative, with a religious background, but not militant. Getting a supermajority and being in complete control of his party and, by extension, the country, has sort of made him ever more powerhungry. The Neo-Ottoman bit was there, sure, but which Turkish political party isn't? At least they didn't worship Ataturk or think the Army should be in charge, right? They were moderate conservative Muslims, and we need to support those, right?
...Oh, what? He's becoming a dictator? No, no, we never liked him at all!

The Western media is pulling a serious 1984-we've-always-been-at-war-with-Eurasia with him.

I wonder how long until Putin starts using Turkey as a political card... the Russian politic parties are ALWAYS going on about Nazism and here's a country actually suggesting they follow such a system... a country close to it's borders (as they seem to think Georgia belongs to them). At the very least it's easy talk points.

I wasn't saying "you are a racist" at all. Or even that you were using it as a dog whistle, most of here isn't as bad as your free republic or stormfronts. It just stood out slightly weird to me, I had been more used to seeing it in these discussions more as a pejorative. I guess I've been staring too long into the abyss.

150 Armed militia members have stormed a federal building in Oregon. Cliven Bundy's son is among them. You might remember Bundy from that ranch stand-off awhile back regarding his unwillingness to pay taxes on his use of government land... and how it ALSO had armed militia members pointing weapons at federal officers.

EDIT: WHY THE FUCK isn't this on the news? Why isn't CNN turning off it's bullshit and reporting it? Oh right, because everyone is white.

Iranians storm Saudi embassey in Tehran over execution of Shiite cleric. How's financing all that terrorism helping you now, Saudia Arabia? And I fully expect them to ask us to deal with it.

Last edited:
150 Armed militia members have stormed a federal building in Oregon. Cliven Bundy's son is among them. You might remember Bundy from that ranch stand-off awhile back regarding his unwillingness to pay taxes on his use of government land... and how it ALSO had armed militia members pointing weapons at federal officers.

EDIT: WHY THE FUCK isn't this on the news? Why isn't CNN turning off it's bullshit and reporting it? Oh right, because everyone is white.

Iranians storm Saudi embassey in Tehran over execution of Shiite cleric. How's financing all that terrorism helping you now, Saudia Arabia? And I fully expect them to ask us to deal with it.
I read about the bundy thing, I thought it was fake because it wasn't on a major news site. I don't think it's going to end well either way.

Apparently the story is now that they "may or may not be" armed. Christ guys... fucking get your shit together about this.
They're Bundy's crowd. They are totally fucking armed. Apparently they claim it's in protest of two ranchers, Dwight and Steven Hammond convicted of arson... who have nothing to do with the militia and planned to turn themselves in on Monday as required.

"In a phone interview with the Oregonian, Ammond Bundy said that “would not rule out violence if law enforcement tries to remove them.” He called the headquarters building “the tool to do all the tyranny that has been placed upon the Hammonds” and said he was “planning on staying…for years.” In a message on Facebook Bundy said he planned on establishing the facility as a base for militia members across the country"

Because it worked in Waco and Ruby Ridge, amirite?
yeah, actually, it did.

On May 13, 1985, the police, along with city manager Leo Brooks, arrived in force with arrest warrants and attempted to clear the building and arrest the indicted MOVE members.[15] This led to an armed standoff with police,[16] who lobbed tear gas canisters at the building. MOVE members fired at the police, who returned fire with automatic weapons.[17] Commissioner Sambor then ordered that the compound be bombed.[17] From a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter, Philadelphia Police Department Lt. Frank Powell proceeded to drop two one-pound bombs (which the police referred to as "entry devices"[15]) made of FBI-supplied water gel explosive, a dynamite substitute, targeting a fortified, bunker-like cubicle on the roof of the house.[1]
The resulting explosions ignited a fire that eventually destroyed approximately 65 nearby houses. The firefighters, who had earlier deluge-hosed the MOVE members in a failed attempt to evict them from the building, stood by as the fire caused by the bomb engulfed the first house and spread to others, having been given orders to let the fire burn.
You're probably smart enough to figure out MOVE is a black liberation group

Because it worked in Waco and Ruby Ridge, amirite?
That's the ATF's fault. There isn't a single government agency more corrupt and incompetent than the ATF except maybe Congress. Remember that stupid as fuck plan to track sold guns going into Mexico by supplying the guns in the first place?

We also don't fuck around with cults anymore after those Jonestown nuts killed a Senator.

That's the ATF's fault. There isn't a single government agency more corrupt and incompetent than the ATF except maybe Congress. Remember that stupid as fuck plan to track sold guns going into Mexico by supplying the guns in the first place?

We also don't fuck around with cults anymore after those Jonestown nuts killed a Senator.
Congressman, but same difference.

Right, my mistake.

CNN finally cuts to the Saudi Embassy at around 4AM when the international news comes on. Still no word about the Militia thing.
If the Saudis ask me to "do something" about the protesters at their embassy, I'll send them coffee and blankets.

More mis-information... apparently it's more like -15- guys, not 150. Bundy was exaggerating the number for "operational security"... but all I hear is THIS.

Dave

Staff member
Link please? I'm having trouble finding it, otherwise I wouldn't ask.
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2015/12/ranchers_fight_with_feds_spark.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ween-cliven-bundy-and-the-federal-government/

Neither talks about the poaching, although I have seen that in multiple places.[DOUBLEPOST=1451839424,1451839334][/DOUBLEPOST]And more about this wonderful family.

Bundy said:
“I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” he said in comments quoted by the New York Times. He recalled driving past a public-housing project in North Las Vegas, “and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids — and there is always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch — they didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for their kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for their young girls to do.”

He added: “And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do?” he asked. “They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom.”
[DOUBLEPOST=1451839540][/DOUBLEPOST]Yet this guy was originally contacted because he stopped paying grazing fees. In 1993. He owes over $1 million now. But it's the "negro" that doesn't pay their fair share.

Lol, the picture of these morons carrying US Flags while complaining about the federal government. I just can't handle how insane this is.

Lol, the picture of these morons carrying US Flags while complaining about the federal government. I just can't handle how insane this is.

I'm possibly confused on why you think that's insane. A lot of protests across the world include waving of their respective country's flags as a show of patriotism for their country, although not necessarily in support of the current ruling body.

Of course, everything I wrote is moot if that's not that part you were calling insane.

Dave

Staff member
They are waiving the flag of a country that they profess to not recognize. They recognize the state of Nevada but not the United States. So yeah. Insane.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/01/03/3735647/malheur-lake-oregon-militia-explainer/ - seems to be a fairly balanced summary of it.

The controversy here originates with the decision to jail a pair of ranchers in southeastern Oregon under a law created to combat terrorism, in what the ranchers say amounts to punishment for their good-faith efforts to manage land in collaboration with the government.
Dwight Hammond Jr., 73, and his 46-year-old son, Steven, are due to report to federal prison on Monday to serve five-year prison terms. The men were convicted by a jury of their peers in 2012 on arson charges stemming from a pair of fires the two admit to setting on their land in 2001 and 2006. But the ranchers and their prosecutors tell two very different stories about those fires.
The Hammonds’ property, which has belonged to the ranching family for generations, interlocks with publicly owned Bureau of Land Management (BLM) property, requiring the Hammonds to work together with the BLM to manage the vast area where the Hammonds’ animals graze on a mix of private and federal property.
The Hammonds set a fire in 2001 that ultimately burned 139 acres of BLM land. The ranchers say they began it on their own land with agency approval, but prosecutors say they were in fact seeking to cover up illegal deer hunting on the BLM acreage near their property. A second, much smaller fire in 2006 burned another acre of BLM land during a “burn ban” imposed to allow agency firefighters to combat a blaze caused by lightning.
The Hammonds served time for the fires in 2013. A district judge sentenced Dwight to three months and Steve to 366 days of prison time. But the federal anti-terrorism law that prosecutors used to punish the fires includes mandatory minimum sentences of 5 years for fires that damage public property but cause no injury or death. After a series of appeals, the Hammonds were re-sentenced in October of 2015 to the full five years required by that 1990s statute.
It’s this re-sentencing that prompted ranchers and militiamen from around the western U.S. to descend on Burns and protest the Hammonds’ treatment by prosecutors. A much smaller group of those protesters has since splintered off to seek an open conflict with federal agents by taking over a nearby wildlife facility.

They are waiving the flag of a country that they profess to not recognize. They recognize the state of Nevada but not the United States. So yeah. Insane.
It's the same reason people fly the confederate battle flag, and claim to be US patriots. They're just dumb.

Dave

Staff member
Hey, all! Remember when Alabama closed all those DMV offices because of money troubles? Definitely not because of keeping poor minorities from being able to get their IDs to vote. Well, seems he found money for a refurbishing of the governor's mansion. A mansion that has sat empty since 1997 because other governors didn't want to waste public money on the project. So where is he getting the money? From the BP oils spill money that is earmarked for businesses and individuals harmed by the Deepwater Horizon spill. Guess spending $1.8 million on an empty house renovation is better than making sure minorities can vote.

http://www.allgov.com/news/top-stor...repair-a-governors-mansion-160102?news=858075