Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
This is for US criminal law. The military and other nations have slightly varying definitions, but essentially if you put more than four ounces of black powder into a container with a fuse, you have created a weapon of mass destruction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapon_of_mass_destruction#Criminal_.28civilian.29
And that's an insipid, despicable definition made by a nitwit that cheapens the impact of describing an actual weapon of mass destruction. By this definition I've launched weapons of mass destruction into the colorado atmosphere on a weekend... when I was 14.

Yeah... I feel really bad for U of C. And those dirty hippy terrorists at UC Davis better hope they never perpetrate any more of those "peaceful sit in" protests. They thought getting pepper sprayed by cops was bad?! Wait until Napolitano gets her hands on security.

So, any bets on what clown will be nominated to take over DHS next?

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah... I feel really bad for U of C. And those dirty hippy terrorists at UC Davis better hope they never perpetrate any more of those "peaceful sit in" protests. They thought getting pepper sprayed by cops was bad?! Wait until Napolitano gets her hands on security.

The way this administration works? Probably Ted Kaczynski.

What's Incitatus up to these days?

I don't know. Sure, Kaczynski has the bombing experience needed, but does he have enough experience at trampling on the constitution and performing expert security theater?
On the theatre side, maybe they'll cut out the middlemen and hire Andrew Lloyd Webber. Then it'll be just as effective (i.e. not effective at all), but more entertaining!

Why is it that the only image that comes to mind is of the entire Democratic party jumping up and down, stomping their feet, and whining? Oh... that's right, it's because "do what I want or I'll change the rules" is so damn childish.

The filibuster has gotten WAY out of hand. This 60 votes to pass anything in the Senate is bullshit. Filibusters are fine when they are used to bring attention to an issue and the Senator actually has to work for it (ie stand in front of everyone, discuss the issue, etc) but this crap where they Senator who is doing the filibustering isn't even there is ridiculous.

GasBandit

Staff member
I appreciate getting rid of the filibuster. I don't appreciate the extortion aspect of Reid's comments.
Oh, you can't get RID of the filibuster. It's an essential tool to prevent democracy from becoming two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

I mean, if it wasn't for the filibuster, you'd currently have the phrase "Justice Harriet Miers" be a thing.

I appreciate getting rid of the filibuster. I don't appreciate the extortion aspect of Reid's comments.
You know, if that asshole had done this at the beginning of the current Congress instead of waiting until now, it wouldn't have been so much whining as learning from the previous years. As it stands now, yeah, he's a whiny asshole.

Oh, and in order for it to be extortion, the other side has to have any interest in making a deal. That's not going to happen because they know he won't do shit.

Still boggles my mind that there are people out there who want this systematic nonsense pushed on us in the US, where it's been demonstrated our government can barely run a postal system, much less a health care system.
Our postal system has been legislated to fail by legislators in the pocket of private carriers. It has obligations and decrees set on it that no other business has to deal with, nor any other arm of the federal government. More to the point, before these laws it was doing a great job all on it's own.

But I'm sure that will give little comfort to me when I'm eventually forced to pay $20 shipping on the smallest of packages and am completely unable to send ANYTHING to my relatives that live out in the middle of nowhere because no private company is willing to deliver to such a small, unprofitable region. Or when I can't send my cousin stuff to his military base overseas because my local company doesn't have military clearance like the US Postal service does. Clearly having it all be handled by private companies will be SO. MUCH. BETTER.

Fed-ex won't deliver to a military base in the middle east. Neither will UPS. Believe me, I've tried. They won't deliver to an APO or an FPO.
That's what I'm saying. Fed-Ex also doesn't do rural delivery, only to the POST OFFICE for last mile delivery in many areas.

And what makes you think Health Care would be any different, is my point.
So you're saying that since any successful program run by the government will inevitably be destroyed by the influence of private interests, it's better to give those same private interests (whom have already shown they don't have the best interests of the public at heart) our money because they are going to get it anyway?

Gas, that is absolutely insane. You don't reward the people with a knife to your throat, else you encourage others to hold you up as well.

GasBandit

Staff member
So you're saying that since any successful program run by the government will inevitably be destroyed by the influence of private interests, it's better to give those same private interests (whom have already shown they don't have the best interests of the public at heart) our money because they are going to get it anyway?

Gas, that is absolutely insane. You don't reward the people with a knife to your throat, else you encourage others to hold you up as well.
You balance those interests against each other. This is why we have shitty postal service but awesome cell phones. At one time, AT&T held absolute monopoly over all telephony. Now we have more selection and options than anywhere on the planet for such things, and at lower prices - because we get more players in the game and force them to compete with each other. Monopoly is the enemy - a single monolithic entity controlling all, be it the government or a private company, or worst of all, the government under the sway of a private company. The greatest engine for human advancement and happiness is the free market, but it only works when there's more than one vendor. And the more vendors selling the same service or product, the better it is for all consumers. The proper role of the government is to ensure that choice. The last thing we should do is put all our eggs in one basket, especially since the entity holding this particular basket is well known for terrible customer service, bureaucratic inefficiency, and ineptitude.

You balance those interests against each other. This is why we have shitty postal service but awesome cell phones. At one time, AT&T held absolute monopoly over all telephony. Now we have more selection and options than anywhere on the planet for such things, and at lower prices - because we get more players in the game and force them to compete with each other. Monopoly is the enemy - a single monolithic entity controlling all, be it the government or a private company, or worst of all, the government under the sway of a private company. The greatest engine for human advancement and happiness is the free market, but it only works when there's more than one vendor. And the more vendors selling the same service or product, the better it is for all consumers. The proper role of the government is to ensure that choice. The last thing we should do is put all our eggs in one basket, especially since the entity holding this particular basket is well known for terrible customer service, bureaucratic inefficiency, and ineptitude.
We pay the most for phones in the world.

KPNG/Base also covers all of the EU, plus Western Russia, Ukrain, and all of the mediterrenean. ANd yes ,that includes such lovely places as Syriah and Lybia. So, really, I don't think that's much of an excuse. Getting wireless to the Eskimos isn't as hard as getting it to south-Lybian Maghrebeini.

The US is really hard to cover, we have a very low population per thousand square kilometers compared to most of the countries mentioned, and those which are worse don't have the same coverage as the US.

ppkm² isn't important. How open the skyline is matters. I had perfect 5-out-of-5 reception in the middle of the Serengeti (not Europe :p); they really haven't plastered masts all over the Endless Plain. I have crappy reception in some parts of Brussels, while there are about 5 masts per m² here (ever so slight exaggeration). More buildings and/or more geography are what kills coverage, not just more miles (which'll start to slow things down a bit eventually).

I'm not specifically arguing one way or the other - New York and London coverage are probably comparable, backwards-land middle-of-nowhere Nebraska where only one intelligent entity is rumored to live since Ye Olden Days probably has reception similar to middle-of-Bulgaria-no-man's-land, and I d guess the middle of the Rocky Mountains vs the middle of the Alps doesn't really change much, either.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be a good reason why one would be more expensive than the other.