Games on SALE!

Pretty sad when you look at the trailer for a game and go "nope, not even for free."

Though, I admit it's just that the particular style of game isn't for me. I have no idea if it's a good game, either.
It's apparently a remake of an old Dreamcast game. I've honestly never heard of it before.

I tried it out once after getting it through Humble Bundle Monthly.

I had zero clue what I was doing and couldn't accomplish anything with it. Played for maybe an hour and gave up and uninstalled it.

I tried it out once after getting it through Humble Bundle Monthly.

I had zero clue what I was doing and couldn't accomplish anything with it. Played for maybe an hour and gave up and uninstalled it.
Back in the old days, it was trial by fire. But now they have a few tutorial missions that should teach you (or anyone new to the game) a thing or two.

Pretty sure I did the tutorial. I was still hopelessly lost. Just too much science for a dumb Arts grad to understand.
From the video... thumbnails... I've seen, it's literally rocket science. I'll stick to watching old clips of Gemini, Apollo, and Shuttle launches, TYVM. :)

Only reason to get it, really, is either for the nostalgia or because you wanted to try the Hellfire expansion but never did.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
It is a good game. It's the first of its kind, it's the first one that did rune words on items, the first one to do power gems, etc.

It is a good game. It's the first of its kind, it's the first one that did rune words on items, the first one to do power gems, etc.
I highly recommend trying a mod called hellfire: the dark. That's what I spent countless hours on Kali playing

I highly recommend trying a mod called hellfire: the dark.
GOG has a Summer sale going on. Big thing that caught my eye is Diablo with the Hellfire addon for only $9. Hmmm.
Unless I'm misremembering, there is no separate Hellfire/HellfireTheDark, it's just one Hellfire.

Gems and sockets, sure, but unless I'm really mistaken, Rune words weren't added until D2:LoD.
Gems didn't get added to the game until Diablo II, and I'm pretty sure that runes (and crafted items) weren't added until LoD.

--Patrick

Reread what you quoted. It's a mod called Hellfire: The Dark. It requires Diablo and the hellfire expansion. https://www.moddb.com/games/diablo-hellfire/addons/hellfire-the-dark-v54
That's the same page I went to when I was checking, and I couldn't find anything stating that it was a metamod (a mod of a mod). "Hellfire" was already a mod put out by a non-Blizzard entity, and I couldn't find anything on that page like "This is NOT the other Hellfire mod" or "This enhances the Hellfire mod" other than "Requires Diablo CD to play."

--Patrick

That's the same page I went to when I was checking, and I couldn't find anything stating that it was a metamod (a mod of a mod). "Hellfire" was already a mod put out by a non-Blizzard entity, and I couldn't find anything on that page like "This is NOT the other Hellfire mod" or "This enhances the Hellfire mod" other than "Requires Diablo CD to play."

--Patrick
Ah, the confusion is nomenclature. Hellfire isn't a "mod," it's an expansion pack, just in this case made by Sierra instead of Blizzard. "Hellfire: The Dark" is a mod created by two people, that I actually used to know and play with.

Ehhh, Hellfire wasn't an official expansion in the day - even though Blizzard later accepted it, it was published unofficially...Which pretty much makes it an approved mod :p

Ehhh, Hellfire wasn't an official expansion in the day - even though Blizzard later accepted it, it was published unofficially...Which pretty much makes it an approved mod :p
Blizzard may not have approved it, but their parent company did. And as the fires set by Activision consume more and more of the company today, we all know that what the parent company says, goes.

I keep seeing Witcher 2 & 3 on sale, but haven't played any of them. Do I need to start with 1, or can I read a summary and be good to skip to 3?

I keep seeing Witcher 2 & 3 on sale, but haven't played any of them. Do I need to start with 1, or can I read a summary and be good to skip to 3?
Witcher 3 is by far the best, but Witcher 2 is pretty good, and feels to me like a good D&D campaign. Witcher 1 had a lot of growing pains, and isn't all that playable by todays standards, to the point that Witcher 2 actually assumes you haven't played it and gives Geralt amnesia of what happened in it.

None of the games are required playing before the others, a recap summary is all you really need, or you can go into Witcher 2 blind and be just like Geralt, trying to piece together who these people are.

I've only played 3 and it's now one of my all-time favorite games. I'd say find some summaries and jump in. Even if you feel lost at first, you'll be hooked after the world opens up, if not sooner.

I've only played 3 and it's now one of my all-time favorite games. I'd say find some summaries and jump in. Even if you feel lost at first, you'll be hooked after the world opens up, if not sooner.
That's good to know. I don't have tons of time, so I would likely only play one of them.

That's good to know. I don't have tons of time, so I would likely only play one of them.
Honestly, I tried going back to play the first two in order. But the first one is just too dated by comparison. I couldn't get into it. I'd love if the remastered it with Witcher 3's engine.

I'm the weird guy who thinks 1 is still perfectly playable, but yes, you can start with 3 without too much bother - just accept that you'll be a bit lost in some of the early conversations. It'll get filled in as you go along, lots of exposition if you care to look.

GasBandit

Staff member
Some highlights from the Steam Summer Sale: (spoilered for length)

Borderlands: Handsome collection (BL2/Presequel and all DLC) 97% off.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/8133/Borderlands_The_Handsome_Collection/

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 70% off

KF2 for 67% off

Vermintide 2 for 66% off

Darkest Dungeon 70% off

Frostpunk also 50% off on steam as well as GoG

The Long Dark 75% off

Road Redemption 60% off

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion for 75% off

Prison Architect 75% off

Dying Light enhanced edition 70% off
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/88801/

FTL 75% off

Dishonored for a pittance
https://store.steampowered.com/app/205100/Dishonored/

Various Saints Row games, also for a pittance each
https://store.steampowered.com/app/55230/Saints_Row_The_Third/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/206420/Saints_Row_IV/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/301910/Saints_Row_Gat_out_of_Hell/

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance (hands down still the best RTS game ever made, despite being a decade old) for a pittance
https://store.steampowered.com/app/9420/Supreme_Commander_Forged_Alliance/

And as usual, L4D2 for a pittance.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/550/Left_4_Dead_2/

Notably NOT on sale... Rimworld, Factorio, Gnomoria, My Summer Car, most VR games...

A good amount of stuff that IS on my wishlist is within my self-imposed purchasing rules, though... so I have a feeling I'm about to drop some noteworthy cash, which I haven't in a steam sale in a couple years.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Various Saints Row games, also for a pittance each

A warning that all these have issues running on the latest versions of Windows 10. I think the issues started around 1803. SR4, especially, is crash-tastic for many users. Also, many users have to jump through hoops to get Gat Out of Hell to start a new game, because the Steam Workshop update to SR4 broke save game compatibility, so when GOOH tries to import the Boss character it can fail, and then refuse to continue, or even crash the game. I ran into this problem myself, and had to disable Steam Cloud saves, delete my locally stored SR4 saves, and only then was I able to start a new game.

My last play-through of SR4 had me dealing with regular crashes, and now SR3 is doing the same. I don't think I've managed to play for more than an hour without a crash, and it's usually every 20 minutes or so.

GasBandit

Staff member
A warning that all these have issues running on the latest versions of Windows 10. I think the issues started around 1803. SR4, especially, is crash-tastic for many users. Also, many users have to jump through hoops to get Gat Out of Hell to start a new game, because the Steam Workshop update to SR4 broke save game compatibility, so when GOOH tries to import the Boss character it can fail, and then refuse to continue, or even crash the game. I ran into this problem myself, and had to disable Steam Cloud saves, delete my locally stored SR4 saves, and only then was I able to start a new game.

My last play-through of SR4 had me dealing with regular crashes, and now SR3 is doing the same. I don't think I've managed to play for more than an hour without a crash, and it's usually every 20 minutes or so.
Man, I know I say it a lot, but not a single week goes by that I'm not thankful I'm still (primarily) on Windows 7.

It's an extremely boring Steam sale.

It's a fucking sea of 25% full price off 2 year old games with the odd 50% off thrown in and the fucking rare shiny Pokemon 75% that pops up once in a blue moon.

Also, the meta game is like pages of rules and nonsense and I can't be fucking arsed to give a shit about it. It doesn't just auto opt you in when you buy games so it can fuck off.

Hey, if UMvC3 is on sale, I wonder if that MvCI is also on a decent sale. It was ridiculously overpriced in the extra character department.

Untitled.jpg

HA HA HA FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK OFF.

Last edited: