Funny (political, religious) pictures

Not really.
I doubt Brian Williams ever...
  • Blamed a teen for her own rape and murder (O'Reilly)
  • Lied about willing a Peabody award (ibid)
  • Lied about playing college football (ibid ibid)
  • Lied about getting a major league pitching tryout (ibid ibid ibid)
  • Declared waterboarding not torture, then refused all challenges to be waterboarded himself (Hannity)
  • Too many conspiracy theories to list, which may have contributed to the murder of three Pittsburgh police officers (Beck)
  • General stupidity, where even John McCain had to tell them to shut up (Fox & Friends)
  • Hired Sarah Palin, Karl Rove, Newt Gingrich, Pat Buchanan, and G. Gordon Liddy.

GasBandit

Staff member
I doubt Brian Williams ever...
  • Blamed a teen for her own rape and murder (O'Reilly)
  • Lied about willing a Peabody award (ibid)
  • Lied about playing college football (ibid ibid)
  • Lied about getting a major league pitching tryout (ibid ibid ibid)
  • Declared waterboarding not torture, then refused all challenges to be waterboarded himself (Hannity)
  • Too many conspiracy theories to list, which may have contributed to the murder of three Pittsburgh police officers (Beck)
  • General stupidity, where even John McCain had to tell them to shut up (Fox & Friends)
  • Hired Sarah Palin, Karl Rove, Newt Gingrich, Pat Buchanan, and G. Gordon Liddy.
O'reilly, Hannity, and Beck are opinion commentators, not newscasters.
Fox & Friends is "good morning america."
It's common for those who criticize fox news to be unable to tell the difference between newscasts and opinion shows.
Also, it's becoming more apparent that this is not the first lie Williams has told.

Necronic

Staff member
While Williams specifically is a pretty big black eye on the network, the network itself is far more respectable than Fox News. It could have 10 Williams and still be miles in front of them.

But that's not really a fair comparison seeing as Fox isn't a news network.

GasBandit

Staff member
While Williams specifically is a pretty big black eye on the network, the network itself is far more respectable than Fox News.
NBC? Hardly. Between them and their sister MSNBC, they've been unabashed democrat party waterboys for just as long as Fox has been their dark reflection.

Necronic

Staff member
To me at least. And I'm one of the most moderate people I know.

Fox's problem lies pretty well in line with the excuses you laid out for why their personalities are immune from scrutiny. They specifically built their programming around some kind of honorless parody of a news network. No one is an anchor, they are all editorialists. That's a choice they made that will forever sully their name, but it will make them popular. The only reason Williams is even catching hell is because he was in a position of honor that he did not maintain the standards of. Those positions don't even exist at Fox, as you yourself pointed out.

Also, that list forget to mention Oliver North. That's right. They have Oliver North on their payroll.

GasBandit

Staff member
To me at least. And I'm one of the most moderate people I know.

Fox's problem lies pretty well in line with the excuses you laid out for why their personalities are immune from scrutiny. They specifically built their programming around some kind of honorless parody of a news network. No one is an anchor, they are all editorialists. That's a choice they made that will forever sully their name, but it will make them popular. The only reason Williams is even catching hell is because he was in a position of honor that he did not maintain the standards of. Those positions don't even exist at Fox, as you yourself pointed out.

Also, that list forget to mention Oliver North. That's right. They have Oliver North on their payroll.
Fox actually does have real news shows with actual news anchors. - Just nobody pays attention to them because the opinion shows grab all the press. Poor Jon Scott and Jenna Lee, Neil Cavuto and Shepard Smith. I'm not entirely sure where Megan Kelly falls these days. Honestly I haven't watched a cable news program in years, on any station.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/12/is-msnbc-worse-than-fox-news-179175.html

According to the politico (a source not exactly known for being sympathetic to the right), MSNBC's content is 85% opinion, compared to Fox News's 55%.

Fox was hard on Obama, but MSNBC was much harder on Romney -

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/01/14/five-facts-about-fox-news/

During the late stages of the 2012 presidential campaign, a Pew Research analysis found that Barack Obama received far more negative coverage than positive on the Fox News Channel. Yet Fox found its ideological mirror image in MSNBC. In the final stretch of the campaign, nearly half (46%) of Obama’s coverage on Fox was negative, while just 6% was positive in tone. But MSNBC produced an even harsher narrative about the Republican in the race: 71% of Romney’s coverage was negative, versus 3% positive.
The most pertinent difference between the two, however, is their self-portrayal. Fox News is open about their right-wing leaning bias (they were actually founded to fill that gap, because previously, left-wing bias held a news monopoly), whereas NBC and the others disingenuously pretend to impartiality.

Necronic

Staff member
That article is interesting, but it's about MSNBC, not NBC News (where Williams was). They may be under the same umbrella but they are actually different organizations.

GasBandit

Staff member
That article is interesting, but it's about MSNBC, not NBC News (where Williams was). They may be under the same umbrella but they are actually different organizations.
All the fox haters include Fox Business and every local fox affiliate in their condemnation of fox news. Not to mention any other form of media Rupert Murdoch has touched, such as the Wall Street Journal, etc.

Necronic

Staff member
Fine, and I do find MSNBC pretty crappy, but the problem is that the best of Fox, Fox News, can only beat out the worst of NBC, MSNBC, when it comes to integrity. Fox has nothing on the same playing field as NBC News.

Wall Street journal is legit though.

GasBandit

Staff member
Fine, and I do find MSNBC pretty crappy, but the problem is that the best of Fox, Fox News, can only beat out the worst of NBC, MSNBC, when it comes to integrity. Fox has nothing on the same playing field as NBC News.

Wall Street journal is legit though.
I'll agree to disagree.

It also just occurred to me that perhaps in the interest of transparency I should disclose that I work for an ABC news affiliate.

Not to mention any other form of media Rupert Murdoch has touched, such as the Wall Street Journal, etc.
News of the World was a Murdoch property. Emphasis on was. The phone hacking scandal brought down a 168 year old newspaper and forced News Corp. to fragment itself to protect the family holdings. Oh by the way, wave after wave of criminal prosecutions.

And lest we forget, Roger Ailes was the man responsible for the Willie Horton ads back in '88.

San Diego Fox News 5 reporting on that prosecutors were dropping charges against a man accused of rape on the San Diego State University campus:

GasBandit

Staff member
That's gotta be the reason. :rolleyes:

Not that I wasn't busting your balls, but you do remember large ISPs like Cox, Comcast, etc have been caught using traffic shaping to cut down your "normal" use priority/bandwidth, but they open the pipe wide when they detect you trying to access a speedtest or speakeasy server, right?

Dave

Staff member
Not that I wasn't busting your balls, but you do remember large ISPs like Cox, Comcast, etc have been caught using traffic shaping to cut down your "normal" use priority/bandwidth, but they open the pipe wide when they detect you trying to access a speedtest or speakeasy server, right?
I was not aware. Is there a way to test the connection without these?

GasBandit

Staff member
I was not aware. Is there a way to test the connection without these?
Unfortunately not reliably. Soon as a new common speed testing site gets well known, it can be added to the priority list.

One way to test it though is to get on bittorrent and take out all the stops downloading a recent TV episode (one with lots of seeds) at 1080p... That'll give you a pretty good idea.