Funny (political, religious) pictures

I can't believe that people are STILL holding on to the vaccination/autism myth.

It's now the prime example of the impact of irresponsible and unethical science practice in methodology books that I've read.

I can't believe that people are STILL holding on to the vaccination/autism myth.

It's now the prime example of the impact of irresponsible and unethical science practice in methodology books that I've read.
And the moment the president said "vaccinate your kids," the usual suspects in the right wing noise machine started falling all over themselves to jump on the anti-vax bandwagon. :facepalm:

Opposition for opposition's sake strikes again.

I noticed this morning on Facebook it was trending that Autism Speaks was reminding people that vaccines don't cause autism. I don't know how many more reminders people need.
I will grant that some children have had some bad reactions to vaccinations (not autism, but more allergy related), but the number is so small that it's worth the risk to get the shots and monitor your kids.

Cajungal

Staff member
The fella actually converted a girl at work who still believed the vaccine/autism stuff. He pointed her in the direction of some information and about a week later she came to work and admitted she was wrong. I was so jealous. People never tell me they're wrong...

fade

Staff member
I have otherwise intelligent, well-educated friends (hell, one's a professor!) who are anti-vax. It's not because of the autism thing, though. They're smart enough to know that connection is bunk, but they still think injecting their kids with "all that stuff" at once is bad. I believe one friend's kid did have a bad reaction, and that isolated experience (compared to the size of the population who did not have reactions) spread outwards.

My dad bought into the vaccines-autism when of my baby brothers (now 4 y.o.) was tentatively diagnosed with autism and, looking for info and cures (ugh), found some bogus web pages. My attempts to bring him back to reality were thwarted by the kid's psychologist, who told him that she thought there was probably a relationship because, well, it's too much of a coincidence that autism appears at 2 years old or whenever, right after whatever vaccines. FUCK YOU you unprofessional, ignorant asshole :mad: Also, together with this came the recommendation to try any solutions he found (because maybe it can be cured, according to them. Again, ASSHOLES). So he found some nasal sprays (which I think, and hope, are just water :confused:) on one of those bogus webpages and has been using them since then.

With some effort on my part, he now holds a halfway position that vaccines may or may not be resonsible and that the sprays may or may not be useful, but of course half the times my brother shows some improvements he thinks the sprays must be doing something.

Needless to say, I HATE anti-vaxxers.

(Sorry for the rant... at least it was relatively on-topic)

Both my sister's kids are autistic and my sister is constantly advocating for people to vaccinate their kids. For one thing, my nephew is also a cancer survivor, and coming in to contact with an unvaccinated child during those months of chemo therapy could very well have killed him. She makes a point to point out to people that you are not protecting your child by not getting the vaccines, you are endangering other children.

Many children can't get vaccines even though their parents would prefer to vaccinate them. Children in chemo, children with allergies, children with otherwise weakened immune systems. All these kids are at a greater risk of dying from preventable diseases and yet can't get the vaccine. And what is the number one requested wish from the Make a Wish foundation, every year? Disneyworld.

GasBandit

Staff member
[DOUBLEPOST=1423496938,1423496811][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1423497264][/DOUBLEPOST]Ladies and gentlemen, I give you - the Alcoholocaust.

I think she's got those experimental "string" implants that a couple of adult film actresses got in the late 90's/early 2000's. The idea was to reduce surgeries for women looking to get to certain larger sizes since you can only go so large in an individual surgery (because your skin has to stretch to accommodate the new size) and the FDA only allows implants up to a certain size to be sold. This was accomplished by adding a valve at the armpit and a tube running into the implant... you'd increase the size by injecting more material (essentially plastic silly string) and your body's fluid build up in response to this would help even it out. They never really caught on though, not least because they didn't make it out of trials in the US, but also because they cause other physical problems and look REALLY ugly past a certain size.

They never really caught on though, not least because they didn't make it out of trials in the US, but also because they cause other physical problems and look REALLY ugly past a certain size.
They didn't catch on because the US declared them illegal (no word about Brazil and such, and only one doctor I know of was doing them).
I haven't looked too deeply (heh) but I thought Beshine (above)'s implants were standard fluid-filled rather than the polypropylene (for the above reasons), and that Chelsea's were technically larger since she hit the 10k cc milestone back in 2005 (though considering that string implants vary over time, it's hard to be 100% sure).

Source: I've been looking up truly outrageous stuff on the Internet for almost 20 years, and stuff like this is fascinating beyond mere tittilation.

--Patrick

That's what I meant by didn't make it through trials. The did FDA trials for a few years in the US but it didn't pass muster so they were made it illegal to implant them in the US. Beshine got hers after that, which means she probably got them made in the EU, then shipped them to her doctor in Thailand or Brazil for the surgery.

Fun fact: Brazil and Thailand are plastic surgery meccas, full of talented and respected doctors willing to do things that aren't legal in the US or EU. Because of this, women who want to model will go to these places to gain inches of height (by repeatedly breaking and resetting bones over months to make them grow longer) and male-to-female transitioning... where they can get certain surgeries (like bone shaving of the face to make a more feminine look) that aren't legal in the US or EU ether. Saw it on an episode of Taboo on National Geographic.

Fun fact: Brazil and Thailand are plastic surgery meccas, full of talented and respected doctors willing to do things that aren't legal in the US or EU. Because of this, women who want to model will go to these places to gain inches of height (by repeatedly breaking and resetting bones over months to make them grow longer)
Well yeah, since China went and made "bone stretching" illegal.
male-to-female transitioning
A thing I almost automatically associate with Thailand these days.

--Patrick