Funny (political, religious) pictures

As I always love to point out when one of those pictures comes up (yes I've seen multiple), its the University of Missouri School of Journalism which requires Mac ownership.

Back when my Dad went there it was hammers & chisels ;) - or at the very least pencils & notebooks.

OH - and manual typewriters...

Could you imagine a classroom of those taking notes?

*clickaclackaclickaclackaclickaclackDINGzzzzzoop*

:Leyla:

Yes. It was called "Beginning Typing" and I took it back in junior high. :p
We had the electric typewriters with the ball that had the letters on it. Those were actually louder than traditional typewriters because they constantly made noise even when you weren't typing.

GasBandit

Staff member
My Jr. High tried to teach us typing, it was pathetic. They handed out UNPLUGGED keyboards to everybody in the class, and then the teacher just walked around the room shouting letters.

I'm not kidding.

Yes. It was called "Beginning Typing" and I took it back in junior high. :p
Man - that's one of those things that ranks right up there with "I wish they had a Netflix-type service, but for books" :facepalm:

I never took typing in school. We usually only had one elective & in junior high that was band. I did take a computer word processing class once, back in the days of TRS-80's, & I managed to fake my way though that since I at least knew the home row. I still don't really know how to type. I use an advanced hunt & peck method, using all my fingers. But if you gave me a keyboard with all the letters rubbed off I'd be pretty much screwed.

I don't like bragging, but I do have a pretty decent WPM typing speed. I've been doing it for so long, I don't even realize how fast I'm typing at times.

I want to say it's in the 40's, but it's been forever since I checked.

EDIT: Um, wow. First checker test I went to said 70 WPM. :0

I top out at 60-70 WPM. I always thought that was super slow.

But if you throw any special characters in there, that throws my WPM completely out the window.

When I left high school, I finished typing class with either a 23 or a 32 (I don't remember which). Much, much later I got into computers at college, joined a few text-based RPGs, etc. The next time I tested my typing speed I was at 58, and of course I never noticed it improving.

--Patrick

I only go about 50, but my aunt who is an editor at a newspaper goes at an absolutely inhuman speed. Big surprise, she used to be a court stenographer.

I go at 60 wpm in english and about 70 in spanish. I can go even faster if I don't put accent to any letter.

Yeah, my bugaboo is numbers. I was never able to do the keypad very well, and even the top row is not easy for me.

I do prefer old-style keyboards to the new ones (actual keys, not the buttons of newer ones).

Yeesh, down to 64 with 3 errors. All of this "not typing for a living anymore" is destroying my speed and accuracy.

Well, if this is becoming the how fast can you type thread, I just did an online test that tells me I type 490 cpm or 98 wpm.

And this is reclined in bed on a kind of spongey laptop keyboard.

I maxed out at around 120 WPM in my youth, but nowadays I can probably hit maybe 70 to 80 if I'm trying to type fast.

I attribute it to being an avid player of MUDs. You either type fast and correctly, or you die.

I maxed out at around 120 WPM in my youth, but nowadays I can probably hit maybe 70 to 80 if I'm trying to type fast.

I attribute it to being an avid player of MUDs. You either learn to code, or you die
I've played a lot of MUDs, most of them pretty pvp focused. Typing speed was never a factor, because all combat came down to creating automated healing and affliction curing with triggers and macros for your attacks.

I've played a lot of MUDs, most of them pretty pvp focused. Typing speed was never a factor, because all combat came down to creating automated healing and affliction curing with triggers and macros for your attacks.
When MUD clients became common, yes. Back when I played, all we had was a Telnet screen and we liked it, dammit!