Funny (political, religious) pictures

I had to calm down for a minute there before answering... i know you';re smarter then this Gas.

Yes it is, and people can always be wrong, but using that to dismiss things you don't agree with IS YOU DOING THE SAME THING as the people "using" scientism (which apparently includes Exxon under Tillerson).

You might as well say "scientist X made a mistake about Y, TVs must be magic!"

Had he made an actual good argument it would have been something, but he was using a fallacy wrong...

It's only a strawman is no one was making those arguments at all... and you can't honestly claim that, can you.

And if those where not the arguments you personally use, then congrats, the video wasn't about you...
You have a lot of back pain?

I didn't say any of that. I said Scientism is a thing.
Yeah,. i'm sure in the context you posted that you where just pointing out that

As in, yes, there ARE people who "believe" in science and scientists the same way people believed in God and priests 1000 years ago. Seems to me the people behind that video kinda come off that way. "Scientists know. You should be fucking thankful, you fucking idiot. Stop disagreeing or you'll go to science hell!"
Yeah, and my point was that the existence of those people does not give anyone carte blanche to ignore actual science being done.

You're quite free to argue about the data, but the argument made by Bubble181 wasn't that, it was that everyone is just trusting scientists blindly.

That aside, it is a somewhat hyperbolic statement, even though the video we're discussing is a perfect example of that message in action.
Yeah, sure, the article that has laymen make ok arguments about climate stuff, and then asking them to talk to someone who's more educated on the subject is all about blindly trusting whatever a scientist says...

Plus, what's your alternative? Listen to your gut and dismiss any argument that contradicts that because everyone, even highly educated people can be wrong and make mistakes? It's that how you'd fix your car, ignore the mechanics and just do what fits your christian upbringing?

I know you've seen this happen, in forum debates, if not in actual scientific discussions. ("But wait, if net neutrality treats all traffic the same, how do we stop DDOS attacks? "OH MY GOD, that strawman again, I can't believe you. Net Neutrality is the best thing for everyone, and you're resorting that tired old tactic?!").
Yeah, if someone you're arguing with about math shows you that they don't understand 2+2=4, you're not having a debate with them at all, and their ideas about math can be dismissed.

That video could *easily*be made into "I don't know anything about war our fighting, so I'll just leave those decisions to the soldiers, 'cause they're soldiers and they know about that stuff".

Well, 1st off, soldiers don't make those decisions, generals do.

And your example is faulty, because you're most likely talking about the morality of fighting, and not the tactics and strategy of it.

You have a lot of back pain?
Nah, the pain you guys are causing is mostly in my ass...

No, I get it. In the 50’s, science was king, and marketing people took advantage of it, and later studies didn’t question 50’s studies too deeply because again, it was a time when scientists were held in high respect. And because this was found out, now we are suffering the “How do we know that ANY science is true?” backlash.

—Patrick
Nah, the real reason is that most people don't actually understand how the whole thing works, and that we can't actually be sure of anything, and that most science is simply a very good approximation of what's going on, that keeps getting better and better as we know more.

Just ask Asimov: https://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/relativityofwrong.htm

The back pain is because of walking around with your head so far up your own ass.

But I guess that explains your ass pain too.
Funny how you can complain about strawmen, but have no issues with ad-hominems.

But, hey, claiming that someone used a fallacy, and not backing up that statement with arguments is totally not the same as what they're accusing that video of.

Oh, and, btw, even if i'm being an asshole, it doesn't mean i'm wrong, does it...

It's only a strawman is no one was making those arguments at all... and you can't honestly claim that, can you.

And if those where not the arguments you personally use, then congrats, the video wasn't about you...
I'll start by telling you it's not an ad hominem when I suggest your head's up your ass: I really do think you're willfully ignorant, and in love with your meandering, evasive snark.

A strawman is putting words into your opponent's mouth, then denouncing those arguments. I guess the video is really more of straw-hominem, as it puts words in their mouth, and then just calls them idiots. Over and over and over.

That video wasn't 'about' anything, really, it was for someone, namely, you. What's the point of that video? It's entirely there to make people who believe in climate change... feel better about themselves. And at the expense of the 'phenomenonally stupid,' I believe they were called by the Unmarried Female President with Purple Hair (code for: this is also why we're better than other people). It wasn't 'about' me, it wasn't even about climate change. It was 100% a message designed to reinforce narcissistic personality disorder in people who are so blind to the world around them that they don't realize it's pretty weird that their values match objective reality all of the time. Boy that sure seems unlikely, these people are geniuses.

What's accomplished by making a video that repeatedly just calls a bunch of people stupid? You think you're gonna show that to someone who doubts climate change and have them go "Oh shucks, I guess I have been an idiot, climate change is real now."? You gonna show it to people who think are stupid and after repeatedly using the video to call them stupid, they're not going to just punch you in the face?

And if this doesn't sound like it's for you personally, then congrats, this post is still about you.

The video itself is not in any way aimed at swaying anyone's opinion.
It was created by some of the folks from Funny or Die, and its target audience is people who already believe in the science behind climate change. Its target audience is also not-so-subtly those people who wanted a (particular) woman in the White House instead of its current occupant. It essentially asks, "Can you believe there are still people who don't believe in climate change?" and then goes on to lampoon them.

That's why it's in the funny pictures thread, and not one of the more serious ones. If you don't find it funny, that's fine. There are people who don't find Lewis Black funny, or Bill Cosby, or Andrew Dice Clay, or Emo Philips, or Melissa McCarthy. Not everyone appreciates the same type of humor, and that's ok.

--Patrick

sweepsweek.jpg

Must be sweeps week.

nottoscale.jpg

What? Are they saying people on welfare are on average 4x fatter than people with a full time job?

--Patrick

View attachment 26965
What? Are they saying people on welfare are on average 4x fatter than people with a full time job?

--Patrick
Aside from whatever is actually being stated in the graph above, I cannot fully express how much I hate axis abuse like this, meant to highlight what is likely not a statistically significant difference between the numbers presented. For comparison, here's what those same two columns look like when they show you the whole scale, not just the last 10% of it:

AxesMatter!.png

And (as per the prior discussion in this thread) this is one of myriad reasons why people sometimes have a hard time swallowing "science," because that which gets presented (by scientists or non-scientists) tends to get skewed towards the "sexy" for mass media. Okay, rant over, relurking now :p

Aside from whatever is actually being stated in the graph above, I cannot fully express how much I hate axis abuse like this, meant to highlight what is likely not a statistically significant difference between the numbers presented. For comparison, here's what those same two columns look like when they show you the whole scale, not just the last 10% of it:

View attachment 26968

And (as per the prior discussion in this thread) this is one of myriad reasons why people sometimes have a hard time swallowing "science," because that which gets presented (by scientists or non-scientists) tends to get skewed towards the "sexy" for mass media. Okay, rant over, relurking now :p
No. Please post more!

here's what those same two columns look like when they show you the whole scale, not just the last 10% of it
While of course your graph does a more accurate job of representing the two named statistics, I don’t think it goes far enough, because with a total US population of ~325 million and only ~210 million represented by the graph, I am suddenly extremely interested in knowing what the remaining 115 million are up to. This means the graph needs another bar for “People who have neither FT employment nor welfare.”

Even more important, I believe the graph needs a fourth column for people who are both FT employed AND on welfare, because otherwise the implied message of the Fox graph is that only people who don’t have a FT job need welfare (i.e. “are a drain on the rest of society”). Also, since this group can be counted as either FT or welfare, whoever makes the graph has the luxury of lumping them in and inflating whichever side makes their case look stronger.

Everyone is always eager to graph A against B, but they usually “forget” to graph “both” and “neither.”

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I am suddenly extremely interested in knowing what the remaining 115 million are up to.
They're spouses, children, retired, indepedent contractors, artists who work on commission, etc. Many of the people on "welfare" in that graph are also children and the elderly. It's just a terrible graph, and it demonstrates absolutely nothing of value.

They're spouses, children, retired, indepedent contractors, artists who work on commission, etc. Many of the people on "welfare" in that graph are also children and the elderly. It's just a terrible graph, and it demonstrates absolutely nothing of value.
And there's a not insignificant number of spouses, children, retired, ICs, and artists on welfare.
So yes, the graph itself is all but useless for pointing out anything other than someone's lousy (or possibly disingenuous) infographic skills.

--Patrick

There's also going to be overlap because there are people with full time jobs who are still on welfare also.

I'll start by telling you it's not an ad hominem when I suggest your head's up your ass: I really do think you're wilfully ignorant, and in love with your meandering, evasive snark.
Except that you used it as some sort of argument about the points i was making, which does make it an ad hominem.

And my snark isn't evasive, it just assumes the person i'm arguing with isn't interested in actually listening or looking things up... because that's ussually the case 99% of the time.

Yeah, it's not nice, but you're supposed to use this one if your intention is just to point it out outside the argument:

A strawman is putting words into your opponent's mouth, then denouncing those arguments. I guess the video is really more of straw-hominem, as it puts words in their mouth, and then just calls them idiots. Over and over and over.
Except those very arguments you are claiming where put in their mouths, aka they never made them, where seen even on this very forum back in the day... even though it wasn't as wide spread as in other places from the internet.

You can even look them up.

That video wasn't 'about' anything, really, it was for someone, namely, you. What's the point of that video? It's entirely there to make people who believe in climate change... feel better about themselves. And at the expense of the 'phenomenonally stupid,' I believe they were called by the Unmarried Female President with Purple Hair (code for: this is also why we're better than other people). It wasn't 'about' me, it wasn't even about climate change. It was 100% a message designed to reinforce narcissistic personality disorder in people who are so blind to the world around them that they don't realize it's pretty weird that their values match objective reality all of the time. Boy that sure seems unlikely, these people are geniuses.

What's accomplished by making a video that repeatedly just calls a bunch of people stupid? You think you're gonna show that to someone who doubts climate change and have them go "Oh shucks, I guess I have been an idiot, climate change is real now."? You gonna show it to people who think are stupid and after repeatedly using the video to call them stupid, they're not going to just punch you in the face?

And if this doesn't sound like it's for you personally, then congrats, this post is still about you.
If you really think mockery isn't a valid avenue of criticism, take it up with whoever invented satire.

Sure, it won't help sway anyone who doesn't feel shame, but it's not really intended to be a game changer that would make someone see the light.

Then again, shaming people into certain ways of thinking is basically how religion works...