Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

I think the holo deck was efficient. Why generate a sperm cell when it can merely make you feel and look like you're pregnant, particularly since there's no change to those two aspects for the first several weeks.

Is there a case of the holo deck creating any sort of living thing, bacteria, or creature?
From what I've seen on the show, this happened about every other week. Usually in the form of some madman or super villain. But only when the enterprise wasn't accidentally traveling through time.

I have this headcanon that says that since holodeck matter reverts to energy if it is taken off the holodeck, that the changes that matter takes are equally transitory.
The only holodeck generated cell would be the sperm cell. After the first few mitosis generations, you'd think it would no longer be necessary anyway.
This is my point exactly. See, I seem to remember research that showed that if you fertilize an egg and then immediately remove the male gamete, the zygote is still "committed" and will compensate for the removal by doubling its own haploid content, and you then end up with a clone of the mother...a clone which is 100% organic matter, with no holoDNA present.

--Patrick

I think the holo deck was efficient. Why generate a sperm cell when it can merely make you feel and look like you're pregnant, particularly since there's no change to those two aspects for the first several weeks.

Is there a case of the holo deck creating any sort of living thing, bacteria, or creature? It may be that it would have been against the rules, similar to how the federation didn't create artificial intelligences that had self will.
I think this is more the issue. There is no reason for the Holodeck to reproduce things on the cellular level, unless specifically asked as a parameter of the simulation and as you say, it's more efficient from a programming perspective to create the illusion of pregnancy than actually creating life. There were still some things that Star Trek's "magi-science" couldn't do, such as replicate or repair brain cells that were too damaged, so I think that the capability of creating DNA on the cellular level wouldn't be in the capability of the holodeck to begin with.

That being said, why they can perfectly create a copy of someone on the cellular level with transporters and not just manipulate cellular aging and stuff is beyond me. They've shown that the transporter can possibly manipulate a person's cellular structure without affecting their mental capacity (the episode where Picard, Guinan and Ensign Ro get turned into kids by a transporter malfunction). If that's possible, you'd think that Starfleet would worry about being able to transport people and repair everything that's wrong with their bodies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh god... I cracked up so hard I cried a little at this one -

Imgur description: The chef must have been so disgusted "WHO THE FUCK ORDERS NONE PIZZA LEFT BEEF" He shouts as he throws oblong pieces of dead cow at the cooked dough.

Short people problems - tall people opportunities.

Needs a Brazzers logo.[DOUBLEPOST=1410805077,1410804569][/DOUBLEPOST]
Philly cheese steak pizza is so awesome.
Yeah I got the pizza cheesesteak from Qwik-Chek this weekend. It was pretty damn good.

Philly cheesesteaks are a funny thing, because there's two types of legitimate Philly Cheesesteaks. The classic Philly cheesesteak is shredded minute steak (steak'ums) on an Amoroso roll with fried onions and cheese whiz or melted velveeta/american cheese. But there's also the other version, which is shaved steak, green peppers, onions, and provolone. Both are from Philadelphia, so they're both fair. Then there's a Cheesesteak hoagie, with is the same, but with lettuce and tomato added - a fusion of the classic Philadelphia hot sub and cold sub.

Dave

Staff member
Urban Outfitters over the weekend had a sale on a "vintage Kent State sweatshirt"...with blood spatters. And nobody thought it would be a bad idea?
urban.png

Hey, everyone is talking about Urban Outfitters.

I am shocked that they did not distress thousands of sweaters and splatter them and put them up for sale. They only did the one.

GasBandit

Staff member
Kent State's colors are yellow and blue, so I'm pretty sure the red isn't meant to simply be a red T-shirt with faded distressing.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not sure what you're asking here.
He's asking, is it possible it was just a red sweatshirt that was distressed/tie-bleached because such things look cool, and we're perceiving it as blood spatter when that was not the intent?

To which I said, probably not.

He's asking, is it possible it was just a red sweatshirt that was distressed/tie-bleached because such things look cool, and we're perceiving it as blood spatter when that was not the intent?

To which I said, probably not.
Ah, okay. Yeah, it's definitely a reference to the shooting of students by National Guard members.

GasBandit

Staff member
UWS's colors are yellow and black, but I have red UWS shirts.
Be that as it may, I can't find another red Kent State shirt for sale anywhere, so I'm thinking whoever made this shirt knew what they were doing.[DOUBLEPOST=1410814726,1410814692][/DOUBLEPOST]
Should have been 4.

Also, is this legit? I mean, it's not something someone else mocked up, this was actually on the UO website?

--Patrick
Yeah, they issued a formal apology.