Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

Yeah... I loved the hell out of the x-Files, but it would have been so much better if at least some of the stuff they investigated turned out to be hoaxes. Mulder really needed to get off his fucking high horse.

Yeah... I loved the hell out of the x-Files, but it would have been so much better if at least some of the stuff they investigated turned out to be hoaxes. Mulder really needed to get off his fucking high horse.
I'm pretty sure there are a few episodes where there is a hoax. And then there's episodes like Jose Chung's From Outer Space, which is hilarious and self-aware.

GasBandit

Staff member
Can you get pregnant by ghost?

Hrm..
Patrick Swayze, amirite?

I've often wondered if it would be possible to get pregnant by Holodeck.

--Patrick
I think so, but the fetus would only remain viable so long as you stayed on the holodeck, and only could come to term successfully if someone brought you real food from outside the holodeck for a few weeks or maybe months. See, I have this headcanon that says that since holodeck matter reverts to energy if it is taken off the holodeck, that the changes that matter takes are equally transitory. Sure, you can go have tea or lunch on the holodeck and leave, and when you walk off the holodeck your pastrami on rye and earl gray merely vanish out of your stomach. But what if you live there for a long time? Eating holofood, drinking holowater. As time goes on, more and more of your body mass will be replaced by hologramatic matter... until eventually, you aren't a real person anymore, and only exist as a hologram entirely. And woe betide you if you leave the holodeck partway through the process... parts of your body will spontaneously revert to energy, and you'll probably die immediately due to massive internal hemorrhaging.

So, if you are impregnated by a hologramatic sperm, you could leave the holodeck immediately and it'd basically be a morning-after pill. But if you want to keep your holo-baby, you need to stay in the holodeck - but be fed real food - until such time as the hologramatic dna/cell matter is eventually completely replaced by "real" matter from the normal human regenerative process supplied with building blocks from "real" food. We're pretty far out in the weeds here, but I am wondering if in fact there would ever be a time when all the holoDNA is truly out of the fetus's system, even after birth - could you carry your infant child off the holodeck and suddenly have it missing random chromosomes from some cells?

But the holodeck also uses replicator technology, so you wouldn't have to have someone bring you food since it can be created within the holographic simulation setting.

GasBandit

Staff member
But the holodeck also uses replicator technology, so you wouldn't have to have someone bring you food since it can be created within the holographic simulation setting.
I must have missed that episode. If that's the case, it begs the question why that's possible for food but wasn't for people, a la the Moriarty arc.

I must have missed that episode. If that's the case, it begs the question why that's possible for food but wasn't for people, a la the Moriarty arc.
Strictly speaking, there isn't any reason you couldn't ask the computer to replicate your lunch at your work station. It's just modified transportation technology. A holodeck could replicate it off stage, have a holo-actor pick it up, and just clean it up when you aren't looking.

fade

Staff member
The only holodeck generated cell would be the sperm cell. After the first few mitosis generations, you'd think it would no longer be necessary anyway.