[Funny] Funny Pictures! (Keep em clean, folks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I call shenanigans. Those weren't on my copy of Win95.

Mine just said, "Waiting patiently while we spend more of your money..."

GasBandit

Staff member

(in all fairness, Windows 95 wasn't all THAT bad after a service pack or so... also I think they confused 2000 for Millenium Edition).

A bit more profound than funny, but it strikes me this also applies to gaming with your significant other VERY much.

I'm not sure that "bad" can sufficiently convey exactly how terrible ME and Vista were. Or how bad 8 seems to be shaping up to be. And let's not forget 3.11 for Workgroups.

GasBandit

Staff member
Even XP was kinda yucky until the first service pack.[DOUBLEPOST=1362091327][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm not sure that "bad" can sufficiently convey exactly how terrible ME and Vista were. Or how bad 8 seems to be shaping up to be. And let's not forget 3.11 for Workgroups.
... I had no problems with 3.11 for workgroups.

You guys are so naive. Windows 7 is Vista. So is windows 8 actually. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724833(v=vs.85).aspx
winvers.png

From a programming perspective (drivers really, and certain other "close" things), only the dwMajorVersion matters. The "guts" so to speak of the OS. Anything else is pure "window" dressing (yes I intended to make that pun). Is there a reason why certain DirectX libraries are in V/7/8 that aren't in XP? YES. The guts are different in the OS. Anything not available between minor version numbers is just because MS didn't want to include it for free, and wanted to get an upgrade out of you, which every 4-5 years is probably fair, and can't really fault them for it too much.

The hate for 8 is just as irrational as the hate for Vista. More so really. Install a 3rd-party start menu (http://www.classicshell.net/) and move on with your life. I haven't looked at the "start screen" for probably a month, but when on my media PC on my couch, it works well for large interface, similar to how Steam Big Picture works well there too. Any other problem you have with 8 is your imagination (with extremely few exceptions).

Edit: Now the table is not crap

GasBandit

Staff member
The hate for 8 is just as irrational as the hate for Vista. More so really. Install a 3rd-party start menu (http://www.classicshell.net/) and move on with your life. I haven't looked at the "start screen" for probably a month, but when on my media PC on my couch, it works well for large interface, similar to how Steam Big Picture works well there too. Any other problem you have with 8 is your imagination (with extremely few exceptions).

Edit: when editing, that table was beautiful. Now... working on it.
I'm well aware they share the same kernel. I mean, really, XP and 2000 are NT with a fancy costume. And hell... up through 98, it was still really just a dos shell/extender.

I believe in the market punishing companies who do bad/stupid things. I shouldn't have to mod my operating system to make it palatable, though I will grant you that the main problem with vista was that it was primarily loaded on 1gb ram low grade economy laptops/desktops that had no business running the resource-guzzling monster.

Still, I continue to assert that Vista/7/8 was the wrong direction to go, when instead they should have simply retooled XP64 for general use.

Disliking an OS because of a crap interface is not irrational. The problem with 8 is that you shouldn't have to install 3rd party addons to get an interface that is usable. They're trying to force a touch screen interface on non-touch screen devices, and it doesn't work well. If they had an option to disable the metro interface and the start menu was available it would be fine.

You guys are so naive. Windows 7 is Vista. So is windows 8 actually. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724833(v=vs.85).aspx
From a programming perspective (drivers really, and certain other "close" things), only the dwMajorVersion matters. The "guts" so to speak of the OS. Anything else is pure "window" dressing (yes I intended to make that pun). Is there a reason why certain DirectX libraries are in V/7/8 that aren't in XP? YES. The guts are different in the OS. Anything not available between minor version numbers is just because MS didn't want to include it for free, and wanted to get an upgrade out of you, which every 4-5 years is probably fair, and can't really fault them for it too much.

Coming from the "provides support for Microsoft customers" point of view I can tell you that it doesn't matter if it's easy to install a 3rd-party start menu. Most of our customers won't do that because they feel that they shouldn't have to expend extra effort to get their OS to function in an intelligent manner, or because they aren't tech savvy enough to do that - and I really can't blame them. The vast majority of our customers will either switch to Apple, not upgrade to Windows 8, or wait for us to release a service pack that gives them the option of how they want their desktop to look. I won't get in to the rest of it, mainly because there's some business sensitive information involved and I don't want to get fired for arguing with someone on a forum as to whether or not Windows 8 is truly an abomination. I will say, however, that you seem to be much more comfortable with and positive about Win 8 than most of my coworkers do, and they're responsible for developing and supporting it.

Coming from the "provides support for Microsoft customers" point of view I can tell you that it doesn't matter if it's easy to install a 3rd-party start menu. Most of our customers won't do that because they feel that they shouldn't have to expend extra effort to get their OS to function in an intelligent manner, or because they aren't tech savvy enough to do that - and I really can't blame them. The vast majority of our customers will either switch to Apple, not upgrade to Windows 8, or wait for us to release a service pack that gives them the option of how they want their desktop to look. I won't get in to the rest of it, mainly because there's some business sensitive information involved and I don't want to get fired for arguing with someone on a forum as to whether or not Windows 8 is truly an abomination. I will say, however, that you seem to be much more comfortable with and positive about Win 8 than most of my coworkers do, and they're responsible for developing and supporting it.
Hey, that's cool man. And I don't work at or for MS. I guess I just don't understand the hate when people will install a 3rd-party browser (FF, Chrome, Opera, or whatever), a 3rd-party video player (VLC, MPC, etc), 3rd-party zip utilities (7zip rocks), and however many other 3rd-party programs because the built-in ones just don't do the job right, yet balk at a perfectly good 3rd-party start menu that negates your problem, and start piling on the hate because of it. It's just one more thing you need, and it's not a big deal.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hell, I'm still grumpy about 95's shift in emphasis to the start menu from 3.1's file manager. I always thought that was a crutch for technotards. Really, between shortcuts sorted into folders on the desktop (which used to be called program manager) and the file manager (rebranded explorer), there's not even a need for the start menu.

Hey, that's cool man. And I don't work at or for MS. I guess I just don't understand the hate when people will install a 3rd-party browser (FF, Chrome, Opera, or whatever), a 3rd-party video player (VLC, MPC, etc), 3rd-party zip utilities (7zip rocks), and however many other 3rd-party programs because the built-in ones just don't do the job right, yet balk at a perfectly good 3rd-party start menu that negates your problem, and start piling on the hate because of it. It's just one more thing you need, and it's not a big deal.
No worries, just know that most of our customers (or at least, most of the ones bitching about the new interface) aren't really the kinds of people who really research issues themselves before starting to rant about them. They've likely seen an article on some tech blog or heard something from a friend of theirs about how horrible the new interface is, and have decided that the OS is crap. That, or they're people who had problems in Beta that weren't actually addressed in the release version.

You guys are so naive. Windows 7 is Vista. So is windows 8 actually.
Yes, we* know. And Win8 actually outperforms Win7 in plenty more gaming benchmarks that you might expect, given its reputation.
The hate for the "bad" OS versions isn't so much for the kernel as it is for the "features" that were layered on top of it. The UI, the touch support, the social integration, and the fact that 8 has been compiled for ARM, but 7 has not (and people still LIKE 7). A friend of mine used to have a car that came with a 4-cyl engine which blew/died/whatever, and they replaced it with a 6-cyl. Trouble was, even though the engine had plenty of power, it was still set up for 4-cyl revs, so it got lousy gas mileage since that 6-cyl was always running in the higher RPM range. If you don't build the rest of the OS to take advantage of that kernel, or you implement a baker's dozen of unfinished/not-thought-through "features," then it doesn't matter what kernel you use. People don't want to beta test, they want everything to work at 100% now.

EDIT: And an entire page of comments got added while I was typing, and they all look like they're saying about the same thing.

EDIT2:
...most of our customers (or at least, most of the ones bitching about the new interface) aren't really the kinds of people who really research issues themselves before starting to rant about them.
AHAAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAA*wheeze*HAHAAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAA...
I know that feel, Bro.

--Patrick
*some of us. The really nerdy ones.

fade

Staff member
UX matters. A lot. The stock market concurs.[DOUBLEPOST=1362111764][/DOUBLEPOST]
hEA150736.png

Who wore it better?

Status
Not open for further replies.