[Funny] Funny Pictures! (Keep em clean, folks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
Detention slips via Linkara's Tumblr

All thosel, while funny, were disruptive and depending on the kid's history may have been reason for discipline.

This last one, however:

No, just no. Should I have kids, any teacher who tries to pull that bullshit with me is going to have their job on the line. Maybe this kid was disrespectful, maybe he wasn't, but the fact that the teacher refused to back up their own teaching is a problem. Not only was this teacher wrong in their fact, but they also missed an opportunity in teaching beyond the lesson. A good teacher would have taken the opportunity to show how to look up information, consult experts and standards, cite sources, etc. Even if it were a bad day and the teacher realized they misspoke, they'd be able to show that their method is sound, and that what they teach is generally reliable because they know how to search for knowledge.

Okay, rant over, go back and read the funny ones.

Detention slips via Linkara's Tumblr

All thosel, while funny, were disruptive and depending on the kid's history may have been reason for discipline.

This last one, however:

No, just no. Should I have kids, any teacher who tries to pull that bullshit with me is going to have their job on the line. Maybe this kid was disrespectful, maybe he wasn't, but the fact that the teacher refused to back up their own teaching is a problem. Not only was this teacher wrong in their fact, but they also missed an opportunity in teaching beyond the lesson. A good teacher would have taken the opportunity to show how to look up information, consult experts and standards, cite sources, etc. Even if it were a bad day and the teacher realized they misspoke, they'd be able to show that their method is sound, and that what they teach is generally reliable because they know how to search for knowledge.

Okay, rant over, go back and read the funny ones.
I am not alone in thinking this might be fake. This is sort of like the story where you can write an article saying "Firefighters are required to ask you if you'd like to be carried out of a fire, after a sexual harassment claim..." and people will nod and believe it, "Political correctness, gone mad! Oh bureaucracy, what next!" without bothering to find out that such a thing is not the case at all. We're so ready to get fired about up 'stupid' people.

Zappit

Staff member
Oh, for fuck's sake, I've been wrong on occasion and had a student correct me. You give them credit for recognizing the error. That guy's got either severe control or self-esteem issues...probably both.

Also, I've never had problems with a class if I admit I made a mistake. It's not that big of a deal.

Some teachers, man...

figmentPez

Staff member
I am not alone in thinking this might be fake. This is sort of like the story where you can write an article saying "Firefighters are required to ask you if you'd like to be carried out of a fire, after a sexual harassment claim..." and people will nod and believe it, "Political correctness, gone mad! Oh bureaucracy, what next!" without bothering to find out that such a thing is not the case at all. We're so ready to get fired about up 'stupid' people.
When I was in grade school I got in trouble for finding an error in my math textbook. Thankfully my mom stood up for me, but my teacher was not happy that I pointed out an error. Even if this particular note is fake, that sort of stuff still happens.

When I was in grade school I got in trouble for finding an error in my math textbook. Thankfully my mom stood up for me, but my teacher was not happy that I pointed out an error. Even if this particular note is fake, that sort of stuff still happens.
It has happened to me as well, I just... I don't know, I get a strange ire when I feel like something is fake. Which is possibly irrational (and definitely not directed at you!), but was irresistible tonight, as I've seen that note innumerable times and never complained... Something in my soul cried "Now is the tiiiiiiime"

I wouldn't be surprised if that was more common in college professors.

Some people just have control issues.
I've noticed that I tend to love the professors that everyone else hates because they're the ones that are interested in having students excel, not just regurgitate what they're taught. Most students prefer the professors who spoon feed them information. Those are usually the ones with the most control issues.

Also, I wonder: a kid calling someone else a Muggle or half-breed, should they be punished more severely for being racist/discriminatory? I mean, taking those terms and using them as insults is saying something, no?

I've noticed that I tend to love the professors that everyone else hates because they're the ones that are interested in having students excel, not just regurgitate what they're taught. Most students prefer the professors who spoon feed them information. Those are usually the ones with the most control issues.
Same here. My favorite professors were the ones other students called "bitches" or "hardasses", but they weren't. They were passionate and they pushed us, and they absolutely wanted to have a dialogue with us.[DOUBLEPOST=1365332989][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, I wonder: a kid calling someone else a Muggle or half-breed, should they be punished more severely for being racist/discriminatory? I mean, taking those terms and using them as insults is saying something, no?
Calling someone a half-breed would be racist/discriminatory. I'm sure the reason it's up there with the others is because the kid meant it as a Harry Potter joke, but it wasn't a joke the kid should've been making.

Getting in trouble for calling someone a Muggle is stupid. It's a made-up term from a fantasy world, and if you really want to apply it, we're all Muggles. None of us are magic and none of us are getting a letter from Hogwarts. If someone's offended by being called a Muggle, it's because that fact has not yet sunk in.

Same here. My favorite professors were the ones other students called "bitches" or "hardasses", but they weren't. They were passionate and they pushed us, and they absolutely wanted to have a dialogue with us.[DOUBLEPOST=1365332989][/DOUBLEPOST]

Calling someone a half-breed would be racist/discriminatory. I'm sure the reason it's up there with the others is because the kid meant it as a Harry Potter joke, but it wasn't a joke the kid should've been making.

Getting in trouble for calling someone a Muggle is stupid. It's a made-up term from a fantasy world, and if you really want to apply it, we're all Muggles. None of us are magic and none of us are getting a letter from Hogwarts. If someone's offended by being called a Muggle, it's because that fact has not yet sunk in.

You're missing my point, I think. That it's from a fantasy world doesn't matter - the Muggle/wizard/halfbreed differentiation is a non-too-veiled substitute for colour anyway. It's separating people into a higher and lower class based on birth - I'm from a higher caste than you, I have fairer skin than you, I have dangly bits between my legs and you don't, whatever. In the HP books, the people using these are also very clearly the bad guys. I'm not saying they should be punished as if they called someone with a darker skin tone something specific to that, I'm just wondering whether or not this is something people should pay attention to. Kids aligning themselves with the bad guys and the "Superior Race" might be best nipped in the bud.

You're missing my point, I think. That it's from a fantasy world doesn't matter - the Muggle/wizard/halfbreed differentiation is a non-too-veiled substitute for colour anyway. It's separating people into a higher and lower class based on birth - I'm from a higher caste than you, I have fairer skin than you, I have dangly bits between my legs and you don't, whatever. In the HP books, the people using these are also very clearly the bad guys. I'm not saying they should be punished as if they called someone with a darker skin tone something specific to that, I'm just wondering whether or not this is something people should pay attention to. Kids aligning themselves with the bad guys and the "Superior Race" might be best nipped in the bud.
The sentiment should be nipped in the bud. However, appropriating that to a silly word in a fictional universe is not a good idea.

Also, keep in mind that in Harry Potter, it was a distinguishing word for non-magical folk, a category. It wasn't an ethnic slur.

EDIT: I say this having only seen the movies, not read the books. Correct me if something in the books says differently.

Being someone who loved correcting the teacher for mistakes, just to be a smartass, I can't say I necessarily blame them for getting frustrated.

I admit, muggle is the "less offensive" form, while mudblood's the slur...But still.
Not to be a gigantic nerd, but a muggle is someone who is completely non-magical; a mudblood is someone who is magical, but only had one magical parent and one muggle parent. In this case, half-breed would be the "less offensive" term, if it weren't for the fact that it's already offensive in real-world context.

Cajungal

Staff member
I liked it too, fade. Something that just happened to me in real life reminds me of this situation. A boy who was suspended for bullying a girl (who changed schools) wrote some rude remarks about a classmate on a worksheet that he turned in to me. So he's either an idiot or he's trying to show us that he's going to do whatever the hell he wants. The remarks don't really constitute bullying--in my opinion anyway. They could be the start of it, but it's more about this kid being an insecure shit. I'm bringing it to the attention of the principal, not because of the words he wrote, but because he's clearly testing us now that he's back at school.

That said, I've known many teachers who get really insecure and defensive when they're corrected--even in a respectful way.

Not to be a gigantic nerd, but a muggle is someone who is completely non-magical; a mudblood is someone who is magical, but only had one magical parent and one muggle parent. In this case, half-breed would be the "less offensive" term, if it weren't for the fact that it's already offensive in real-world context.
Ooo, Ninja'd.

Also Jay :
ADbZdCt.jpg

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.