[Funny] Funny Pictures! (Keep em clean, folks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much... the bottoms of your feet are the parts of you that touch the ground, in amongst the filth left by animals and such.

You also should never shake/accept anything from the left hand of someone of that culture (I'm talking the deeply ingrained ones, that is), as that's the hand that wipes one's posterior, and is considered filthy. If they show you a palm in a shoving motion, they're shoving their feces at you.

I believe traditionally, Greek culture has the shoving thing too, though not dependent on the left hand...

I believe traditionally, Greek culture has the shoving thing too, though not dependent on the left hand...
Yeah, you're definitely not supposed to refuse food by pushing your hand toward the waiter (in what we'd consider a "no" or "stop" signal). I learned that funnest, and incidentally the hardest, way.

North_Ranger

Staff member
It's fascinating how different gestures have different meanings. Take Winston Churchill's famous "V for victory", for instance. If you do it palm outwards, it's what Churchill meant. If you do it palm inwards... well, my understanding is such that it essentially means "Piss off, you wanker".

Yeah, it's a British-ism that's equivalent to showing your middle finger in most of the Western world (and a fair portion of the Eastern too, from what I understand).

It's often attributed as a taunt stemming from the victory of the longbowmen at the Battle of Agincourt, but I'm not certain of the veracity there... I just remember being super confused when I moved from England back to the States, and seeing people make a V-sign with their fingers pointing outwards - it took a while before I stopped getting upset by it!

North_Ranger

Staff member
Yeah, it's a British-ism that's equivalent to showing your middle finger in most of the Western world (and a fair portion of the Eastern too, from what I understand).

It's often attributed as a taunt stemming from the victory of the longbowmen at the Battle of Agincourt, but I'm not certain of the veracity there... I just remember being super confused when I moved from England back to the States, and seeing people make a V-sign with their fingers pointing outwards - it took a while before I stopped getting upset by it!
I once heard that the similar longbowmen's taunt theory has been attributed to the much more universal flipping the bird. Something about captured longbowmen getting their middle fingers cut off so they could no longer operate a bow, so they used the expression as a kind of a "Come and get it, b*tches!".

Of course, I've heard that the gesture is much older, down to the antiquity. Heck, one article even said that there's a statue of Augustus showing his middle finger or something.

I once heard that the similar longbowmen's taunt theory has been attributed to the much more universal flipping the bird. Something about captured longbowmen getting their middle fingers cut off so they could no longer operate a bow, so they used the expression as a kind of a "Come and get it, b*tches!".

Of course, I've heard that the gesture is much older, down to the antiquity. Heck, one article even said that there's a statue of Augustus showing his middle finger or something.
The way I heard it was that they cut off their index fingers so that they couldn't pull their bowstrings, not middle fingers. But once the archers figured out they could still pull back their strings, they would show their middle fingers so that their enemies knew they could still "pluck" their bows. Pluck sounds like fuck, so there's your origin of the word.

fade

Staff member
Interesting. The last sentence doesn't make much sense though. I say I play a guitar, I don't say I play guitar strings.[DOUBLEPOST=1360116534][/DOUBLEPOST]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_(gesture)

I am on my phone, so you guys sort it out from here.
The weirdest part about reading this is that it means that this meathead named Mack that told me what it meant way back in elementary school was correct in great detail.

Or just not store anthrax in your shoes in the first place.

--Patrick
Bacillus anthracis is a spore-former. So, that means that putting shoes in the freezer will just make them form spores, and when you warm them back up they will start growing and release their toxin. To kill anthrax spores, you need to heat them to ~ 120°C for 15-20 min with high pressure.

However, it isn't likely that you have anthrax bugs in your shoes. Most likely, the feet stink culprits are Micrococcus, Brevibacteria, and some Propionic bacteria. Those would be killed by the freezer. Also, UV is pretty good at killing bugs. Keeping you shoes/feet dry would help a ton too.
/microbiology info dump

Bacillus anthracis is a spore-former. So, that means that putting shoes in the freezer will just make them form spores, and when you warm them back up they will start growing and release their toxin. To kill anthrax spores, you need to heat them to ~ 120°C for 15-20 min with high pressure.

However, it isn't likely that you have anthrax bugs in your shoes. Most likely, the feet stink culprits are Micrococcus, Brevibacteria, and some Propionic bacteria. Those would be killed by the freezer. Also, UV is pretty good at killing bugs. Keeping you shoes/feet dry would help a ton too.
/microbiology info dump
Exactly why I said keeping it in your shoes is a bad idea.

Also, you may be interested in The Stinky Feet experiment. Or you might not.

--Patrick

/microbiology info dump
shhhh...dont tell the normies whats in there shoes, we can make a killing on anti-anthrax odor eaters....

Well theoretically everyone would think "Nice, glad that gay guy lost."
Of course, nothing stopping the guy who lost from admitting he was straight when he lost.

What it should have is 12 gay guys. Finale has all of the ousted guys come back to pick who they think is gay/straight. The one voted "straight" gets ousted and last guy gets the million. Then the big reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.