[Funny] Funny Pictures! (Keep em clean, folks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Actually, that is pretty ballsy. As is everything else about their fuckoff punk personality.
No it isn't. No, they aren't. They suck. They're ADHD children in the bodies of pudgy adults acting out for whatever attention they can get, wishing like hell they were Andy Kaufman.

And he wasn't funny to begin with, except on Taxi.

Meh. Some people find value in that humor, and while I don't see the value or humor, there's no reason for me to downplay its value to others, or mock them.

There are people who will never understand why some like my little pony, some like rap, and some like well done steak. It doesn't mean those things are bad, or badly done, just that we are all equally stupid, just in completely different ways.

ElJuski

Staff member
HAHAHA IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE IT'S NOT FUNNY SEE? WE'RE SO EDGY LIKE THAT.

Anti-humor is easy. Plus it lets people feel unjustifiable smug both on the telling and the receiving end.
See, people say that, but then most people can't pull it off. I'm not a hardcore Tim and Eric fan, by any means, but it is funny what kind of reaction they get from people. Which is really part of the point. And also hilarious that they insight such pure hatred.

ElJuski

Staff member
Meh. Some people find value in that humor, and while I don't see the value or humor, there's no reason for me to downplay its value to others, or mock them.

There are people who will never understand why some like my little pony, some like rap, and some like well done steak. It doesn't mean those things are bad, or badly done, just that we are all equally stupid, just in completely different ways.
I feel like that is such a cop-out to a decent conversation about the merits of a piece of pop-art. Whether you like something or hate something colors your subjective impression, but you can still find and argue its merit.

I feel like that is such a cop-out to a decent conversation about the merits of a piece of pop-art. Whether you like something or hate something colors your subjective impression, but you can still find and argue its merit.
Ok, so I just watched the latest episode, according to the adult swim website, and I have to admit that it's really stupid. To its core. They don't make any beans about it either, they are ten year olds in adult bodies acting out silly fantasies and passing them off as humor.

I don't see the art. You could pass it off as pop culture, but not pop art. The is nothing artistically redeeming about it. Not even the camera work recommends itself, nothing is framed artistically, or with the intent to lend additional meaning to the scene. The thematic elements seem to consist solely of what a man child thinks a ten year old might think being grown up is about. It's about as far from edgy as you can get, it appeals to the inner child everyone has with stupid funny. It is mass market pulp.

I can see why some enjoy it. I can see why others would hate it (it's gratingly annoying in many ways). But there's nothing in it that's worth considering further once it's turned off. It doesn't even have the memorable phrases one might use as an in joke among friends, which only speaks poorly of the writers.

ElJuski

Staff member
Again, it's hilarious to see how many people get so up in arms over it. Really, it's either something you get, or you don't. Doesn't make you any less of a person to not get it, but it's fantastic absurdism, and not many people can replicate it, so kudos to them.

HAHAHA IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE IT'S NOT FUNNY SEE? WE'RE SO EDGY LIKE THAT.

Anti-humor is easy. Plus it lets people feel unjustifiable smug both on the telling and the receiving end.
With anti-humor, the punchline is the immediate audience's reaction. The audience is the joke.

Juski said directly.

it is funny what kind of reaction they get from people. Which is really part of the point. And also hilarious that they insight such pure hatred.
No thanks. Not interested in being a punchline.

it's fantastic absurdism
I disagree on the fantastic part. It is absurd. And it is stupid. Both in the dictionary sense of the words. But it's not artistically, intellectually, or stimulatingly so. What absurdity and stupidity there is is poorly done. This is an example of bad absurdity.

fade

Staff member
In this thread, I learned it is not possible to get a "joke" yet still think it's not funny.

Also, anti-humor is The Game. You apparently can't discuss it without becoming the punchline. The only way to win is to sneer with self-satisfaction at people actually talking about The Game.

S

SeraRelm

So knowing Tim and Eric suck is half the battle, and doing violence to them is the other?

GasBandit

Staff member
See, people say that, but then most people can't pull it off. I'm not a hardcore Tim and Eric fan, by any means, but it is funny what kind of reaction they get from people. Which is really part of the point. And also hilarious that they insight such pure hatred.
*incite. Mr. Teacher Man.

Let me rephrase that for you:

I hate these filthy neutrals Kif! With enemies you know where they stand but with neutrals? Who knows! It sickens me.

I can gladly say that I'm not exactly a "nice guy" because I know myself well enough to understand that I have serious problems in my social interactions, and those who followed my relationship misadventures in some threads know both of my awkwardness and immaturity and my tendency to be "friendzoned" -wich basically means me being friendly, thus being considered a friend, and then having feelings for those firends-... but is that really the way one reacts? "that's okay, oh well, at least I tried"?

Wouldn't it be, "oh, no! I'm glad I tried because that would have been unbearable but oh how painful this is and I've ruined the friendship forever"?

This... is a real question. Is shrugging this stuff off like nothing the normal reaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.