Former President Trump Thread

I disagree. The Democrats have largely wanted an improved path to citizenship, because currently it's difficult for an undocumented immigrant to become a citizen, trapping them in a legal underclass. An example of this would be the Dreamer Act. The corporations that largely back the Republicans, however, want to keep undocumented immigrants as a permanent underclass because they can be underpaid and abused since they don't have legal protection and can't go to the authorities without fear of being deported.

So the reason there isn't a bipartisan solution to immigration is because the two sides have very different goals for the issue.
Remember that I was arguing for the sake of self-interest there, not based on my actual political views. I am not an undocumented alien, nor did I cross over illegally (at a young age or otherwise), or make an asylum claim, or any of the other popular-to-fight-over categories. I'm one of the "model" ones. Bipartisan efforts, if any, should vector out towards attracting and retaining people like me (net contributors tax-wise, young, educated, English-speaking), I'd think.

Republicans are also a big fan of the current H-1B visa, because it lets them import cheap technical experts from places like India but still keep the threat of deportation on the table. H-1B's need a reform; not just in how they are applied (Businesses usually CAN fill these jobs with locals but don't want to pay 10k+ more for someone who can leave) but in how the actual rights of workers to whom they apply.
Agreed, the work visa system is a mess all-around with all kinds of perverse incentives.

There is chatter that this was an attempt at reversing a decision that SCOTUS had already ruled on, which would make the ruling invalid.

I'm good at detecting spam emails, but there's a part of my brain that tries to get me to click on "trump impeached" ones, just for the small chance that clicking it will actually make it happen.

Wait you said "guess the date of impeachment." Technically impeachment is just the hearing regardless of whether he actually gets kicked out. Which applies for the contest? I definitely think there's a good chance trump gets impeached this year.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait you said "guess the date of impeachment." Technically impeachment is just the hearing regardless of whether he actually gets kicked out. Which applies for the contest? I definitely think there's a good chance trump gets impeached this year.
Do you mean next year? Because we're running out of 2018 pretty quick.

Dave

Staff member
The day he is named guilty of impeachment. Not censured, not put through the Procession of Shame.

Oh.

Ohhhh.

Yeah, @Dave, now that you put it that way, let's just bet on an event that's never happened before. Like, say, a shutout in the Super Bowl.

Impeachment is what it's called when the president gets called before the Senate though. "Guilty of impeachment" is not a thing. Also, what if he resigns from office after he's impeached?

In fake news, cheeto has shut down his charity to better serve the people while making America great.

In actual news the state of NY has seized all the charities assets and will disperse them to actual charities

In fake news, cheeto has shut down his charity to better serve the people while making America great.

In actual news the state of NY has seized all the charities assets and will disperse them to actual charities
The amount of corruption appears to be staggering. Though, the craziest thing is that they suspect that the charity donated $7 to the Boy Scouts -- to pay Don Jr.'s entry fee to the organization when he was 11. (Washington Post)

I believe I got @Dave to nail down what he meant early in that thread.

Mueller surprises everyone again, that secret thing on Friday? Was not about cheeto and his spawns as most speculated, it was about forcing company owned by a foreign state to testify. No body predicted that tidbit.

Everyone with even a modicum of ethics or backbone is leaving, allowing Trump to stack the entire White House with nothing but cronies and yesmen. No more opposition of anyone in a position to do anything about it, except the House...which has pretty severe limits on what it can do.
Whitaker and/or Barr will kill or cripple the investigation, there'll be some fabricated international crisis to divert people and keep people distracted, and the dismantling of the US seat of power from the inside continues.
Trump himself won't live to see the downfall of the nation he's helping destroy, and most of those who will benefit from this are rich enough that they don't have to care.