Former President Trump Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
And how was the resistance effective when it ended up in court (and got thrown out because of mishandling of evidence, of all things), and with one guy dead?
Regardless of the final court disposition, the point was, contrary to Blots' assertion, armed resistance WAS used, and it DID give government officials pause (IE they didn't just roll in there with a tank or drop a nuke and take everyone out, as every 2nd amendment opponent seems to imply will be the object of first resort in any such situation, so a standoff ensued).

And how was the resistance effective when it ended up in court (and got thrown out because of mishandling of evidence, of all things), and with one guy dead?
Regardless of the final court disposition, the point was, contrary to Blots' assertion, armed resistance WAS used, and it DID give government officials pause (IE they didn't just roll in there with a tank or drop a nuke and take everyone out, as every 2nd amendment opponent seems to imply will be the object of first resort in any such situation, so a standoff ensued).
I mean they were white.

I'm sorry to have implied with my statement that this is the first time in history this has happened. They might claim "well you guys did it first" to justify their revenge, but clearly they'd be wrong. It's no doubt been happening throughout the world to every party - even in small towns you'll have a business owner refuse to serve the mayor if the owner didn't get his way.

Doing so as a stunt and publicizing it surely can't be new. And retaliation against the business itself will occur.

It's a big glass house and everyone's got stones.
It took them forming concentration camps for people start harassing them at dinner let’s tone down the rhetoric a bit chicken little. I think the repulic will be just fine if Huckabee can’t show her face in public.

There had to have been a huge amount of civilians on Death Star 1. Hell, how many prison blocks were there? I doubt Leia was the only prisoner. There's a lot of non-military blood on Luke and Lando/Nien Num's hands.

I don't know how to spell that guy with Lando's name.

I never said there was, however, they still had to live with themselves....a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.

Well, to be fair, so were the folks at Ruby Ridge and Waco.
I'll let you figure it out.

There had to have been a huge amount of civilians on Death Star 1. Hell, how many prison blocks were there? I doubt Leia was the only prisoner. There's a lot of non-military blood on Luke and Lando/Nien Num's hands.

I don't know how to spell that guy with Lando's name.
The prisoners (if there where any, it seemed pretty deserted when they rescued Leia, and teh station was new enough for it to not to have prior prisoners), sure, even if it couldn't be helped.

But teh contractors... they where literally building a weapon to blow up planets for an evil galactic regime... sorry, but they get no sympathy.

And you wouldn't even need a fancy wine either...

Man, they're people working for a massive galactic regime. How do you know the empire didn't use forced conscription in their work force?
They did in the original EU. Chewie was a Wookie slave, and Han freed him from slavery, which is why Chewie owed Han a life debt.

Man, they're people working for a massive galactic regime. How do you know the empire didn't use forced conscription in their work force?
Well the DS actually worked perfectly, for one. There's a reason why Panzers where so prone to breaking, using slave labour that hates you for anything but basic resource collection/mining = guaranteed sabotage (which is what they went with in Rogue One actually).

For another, even if they did, once the big fight with the Alliance was under way, they had a moral obligation to rebel... if they didn't one can assume they where ok with their fate either way.

That's some pretty black-and-white thinking there.
If anyone who ever had anything to do with a government or dictatorship or occupier is automatically in league with them and deserves to die as a collaborator for not rising up, you get into biblical "crush the men, kill the children, lead the women away as slaves" territory. I'd hope we've evolved past that.

That's some pretty black-and-white thinking there.
If anyone who ever had anything to do with a government or dictatorship or occupier is automatically in league with them and deserves to die as a collaborator for not rising up, you get into biblical "crush the men, kill the children, lead the women away as slaves" territory. I'd hope we've evolved past that.
That's not what i was saying.

I was talking about the actual situation there, where the DS just destroyed Aldeeran, and was currently engaged in combat with the Alliance.

If you're aboard a war vessel that just committed war crimes, and do nothing to help the people currently fighting it, you no longer get to claim innocence for the purposes of it being wrong to blow you up.

Context matters people!

That's not what i was saying.

I was talking about the actual situation there, where the DS just destroyed Aldeeran, and was currently engaged in combat with the Alliance.

If you're aboard a war vessel that just committed war crimes, and do nothing to help the people currently fighting it, you no longer get to claim innocence for the purposes of it being wrong to blow you up.

Context matters people!
So.... Sex slaves forced onto the station to pleasure the officers? Civilian cooks doing indentured servantship aboard the station, no chocie in where to go and with a shock collar around their neck? The trash compactor monster's baby children in ten other waste management facilities, deplaced without consent and without knowledge of who or where they are? HR services member who's just trying to get to his pension and got transferred over to the station to handle vacation requests?
Saying everyone aboard such a station deserves to die is like saying everyone living on or in a 5 mile radius around a military base is a combattant. It's simply not true. A star destroyer, which is more-or-less an aircraft carrier? Ok, I can accept that. A space station housing 300K people? Ridiculous. They've got cinema operators and gym trainers and gourmet chefs and probably a flippin' theatre group performing for the military staff on there.

So.... Sex slaves forced onto the station to pleasure the officers? Civilian cooks doing indentured servantship aboard the station, no chocie in where to go and with a shock collar around their neck?
Well, if you're just going to make up situation where they're completely unable to fight back at all, i don't know what to say, except that you're clearly ignoring my comment about context.

Sure, that might suck killing those people who couldn't do anything about anything, but it's not like letting them live while the DS keeps on killing planetary populations is actually helping them.

Saying everyone aboard such a station deserves to die is like saying everyone living on or in a 5 mile radius around a military base is a combattant.
The 5 mile radius thing smells like uncertainty on your part...

But people living on a military base in a time of war... that's a pretty hard sell as a non-legitimate target.

The trash compactor monster's baby children in ten other waste management facilities, deplaced without consent and without knowledge of who or where they are?
Non-sentient beings tend to get a pass when it comes to moral responsibility...

HR services member who's just trying to get to his pension and got transferred over to the station to handle vacation requests?
Would you really find no fault in someone who was just handling the guards vacation requests in a concentration camp?

At some point you do bare some responsibility for the massacres the place you're working in is committing with your full knowledge (it's not like you just wouldn't notice the whole destroying a whole planet thing at some point)

A star destroyer, which is more-or-less an aircraft carrier? Ok, I can accept that. A space station housing 300K people? Ridiculous. They've got cinema operators and gym trainers and gourmet chefs and probably a flippin' theatre group performing for the military staff on there.
So you base your assessment on how much room it has? Because that's about the only difference between it and a star destroyer when it comes to it's function.

Well, if you're just going to make up situation where they're completely unable to fight back at all, i don't know what to say, except that you're clearly ignoring my comment about context.

Sure, that might suck killing those people who couldn't do anything about anything, but it's not like letting them live while the DS keeps on killing planetary populations is actually helping them.

The 5 mile radius thing smells like uncertainty on your part...

But people living on a military base in a time of war... that's a pretty hard sell as a non-legitimate target.

Non-sentient beings tend to get a pass when it comes to moral responsibility...

Would you really find no fault in someone who was just handling the guards vacation requests in a concentration camp?

At some point you do bare some responsibility for the massacres the place you're working in is committing with your full knowledge (it's not like you just wouldn't notice the whole destroying a whole planet thing at some point)

So you base your assessment on how much room it has? Because that's about the only difference between it and a star destroyer when it comes to it's function.
I don't feel like continuing this random tangent, but yes: size-wise, it's simply impossible to have 300k soldiers who are all convinced fanatic soldiers.
There's also a difference between wartime and peace, between terrorist attack and military attack,.... as a civilian liberation organisation, the Rebellion might try something else.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'll let you figure it out.
Yeah, the difference was That the Ruby Ridge people didn't actually commit any crimes warranting getting SWATted, had false charges filed against them, and weren't in the process of "resisting" until federal jackboot agents rolled up, threw rocks at their dogs, and started shooting when the dogs reacted.

The difference in Waco was Clinton appointees :D