Former President Trump Thread

This is one of those things that would be amusing in theory but a really bad idea in practice. Even if you put on the envelope "this envelope contains the non-cancerous causing powder asbestos" I'd be willing to bet you'd get a visit by some guys in suits with dark sunglasses.

It certainly seems like that's the way things are headed, but I sure do wish I had a better handle on the current difference between "seems" and "actuality," and who was influencing that gap.
Conservative just means they want things to stay/go back to how they where in the past. The only difference is between those that want it like in 1950's Deutschland, and those that want it like in 1930's Deutschland...

Dave

Staff member
That pretty much sums up the Trump presidency - I don't have to know things, I just have to be a confident idiot.

Much like most of his base.

Trump...just stanned very, VERY hard for Russia to be reinstated into the G-7 (8).

Wow.

Fucking wow.

No collusion, only the democrats colluded.

Congrats USA, you just done got Putin'd. His whole goal for decades has been this erosion of power.

Trump...just stanned very, VERY hard for Russia to be reinstated into the G-7 (8).

Wow.

Fucking wow.

No collusion, only the democrats colluded.

Congrats USA, you just done got Putin'd. His whole goal for decades has been this erosion of power.
Yeah. It sure would be nice if I'd been born rich enough to matter to the US political establishment and have some say in things. Maybe if I incorporate.

Trump wants these to no longer be covered by insurance:

IMG_20180608_094639.jpg

Not shocked that erectile dysfunction is absent.

When I die without my inhalers, please burn a cardboard cutout of Trump to the tune of Green Greens from Kirby Super Star at my funeral and then remind my mom and stepdad who they voted for.

(I don't think this will pass, but that he wants it to obviously pisses me off.)

Dave

Staff member
Okay, so he's not talking about removing those from coverage, he's removing the pre-existing protections, and these are those most used conditions to deny coverage. NOT the same thing.

figmentPez

Staff member
Okay, so he's not talking about removing those from coverage, he's removing the pre-existing protections, and these are those most used conditions to deny coverage. NOT the same thing.
In the case of a genetic disorder like Cystic Fibrosis, how is that NOT the exact same thing? Maybe I'm misunderstanding how pre-existing conditions work, but if you've got something you've had since birth, how is possible to have had insurance coverage before getting the disease?

Dave

Staff member
The difference is that this rule would affect you only if you were changing insurance coverages with a gap of more than 30 days. What the original post is saying reads like Trump is advocating for all of these conditions to no longer be covered period. It's still evil and breaks his campaign promises (like there's a shocker), but it's still a huge difference in scope.

Dave

Staff member
For a lot of people it won't be different. But the vast majority of people won't be affected by this. The biggest problem is that this will affect the elderly, the very young just entering the work force, and the poor who do not have coverage through their work.

You know, the populations Trump doesn't give a shit about.

Anyone can lose their job and need more than 30 days to find a new one. Often the new one doesn't give them insurance options right away.

But you're right, that's not going to happen to people in droves; it'll just happen to Trump supporters here and there, more leopards wouldn't eat MY face BS, etc.

(IF it happens, which again, I don't think is likely.)

the vast majority of people won't be affected by this.
Welllllll I wouldn't say that.
I mean, census reports peg nationwide obesity at ~33%, and once you figure in all the rest, what you basically have is a recipe for de facto negative eugenics.
Also, nobody born after 2000 would ever be able to get health insurance because most places don't give health coverage to people under 18, which means all minors would fall under the "gap greater than 30 days" clause.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Welllllll I wouldn't say that.
I mean, census reports peg nationwide obesity at ~33%, and once you figure in all the rest, what you basically have is a recipe for de facto negative eugenics.
Also, nobody born after 2000 would ever be able to get health insurance because most places don't give health coverage to people under 18, which means all minors would fall under the "gap greater than 30 days" clause.

--Patrick
As a child you're generally covered under your parents' policy, or CHIP.

As a child you're generally covered under your parents' policy, or CHIP.
Sure...unless they've been unemployed for more than 30 days...
Hell, if something like this passes, everyone will have full-time employment, because anyone who doesn't won't have health insurance and will therefore die. Trump will go down in history because on his watch the unemployment percentage is going to plummet to the lowest numbers ever!

--Patrick

Last edited:
I mean, it’s not like people change jobs often, right?

“The average worker today stays at each of his or her jobs for 4.4 years, according to the most recent available data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, but the expected tenure of the workforce's youngest employees is about half that.”

Oh.

Dave

Staff member
But that doesn't say anything about a gap in between jobs are a gap in insurance coverage. Now, if jobs say you have to work there for X days before receiving coverage you're screwed, but otherwise that stat is largely meaningless in the context.

But that doesn't say anything about a gap in between jobs are a gap in insurance coverage. Now, if jobs say you have to work there for X days before receiving coverage you're screwed, but otherwise that stat is largely meaningless in the context.
I can't remember the last time I started a job, be it a mom n' pop cafe or a multi-billion dollar conglomerate, where I didn't have to wait at least 30 days until insurance coverage kicked in. Some places were even more devious, it was 30 days from the first business day of the first full month you worked for the company.

Dave

Staff member
And every place I've ever worked had benefits right away. Maybe these things have changed since I was working smaller jobs, though. I will admit I've been corporate guy for quite a while now.

I didn't even get any insurance benefits at the last three jobs I had. The first two just kept me lingering right below full time hours and the last gave no benefits at all, even on a salary. I had to get health insurance through my wife's job.

Plus sometimes when you switch jobs, you also switch insurance providers, which means any health problems you come in with are pre-existing.